Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Introduce Yourself
Donate! Join Today

Introduce Yourself New to the forum? Introduce yourself here and get talking. Everyone is welcome here at Accrington Web!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-05-2011, 07:12   #1
Junior Member+

Hi

Hi, I am new to this site, I used to live in Accrington a long time ago, and the other day I was seaching on the satalitte map and so a building I thought would have gone long ago. What it is today I don't know. Can anyone help? It's on Arglyle Street opposite Westwood Street. It was the place my grandfather made tripe to sell on Blackburn market, I couldn't get a clear picture but I am getting really interested in trying to find out more. Any ideas
manantat is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-05-2011, 08:33   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Hi

Hello and welcome
Old 18-05-2011, 14:18   #3

Hello and welcome again lol

Try looking into different threads further down the main page for help with what your looking for x

- Look in the mirror before you start to judge others -
Lancashire Lassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2011, 19:27   #4
Senior Member+

Cashy will come up with the answer. He talks a load of tripe.He is an elder of the site, or so it seams to me.
Not long ago I saw a photo in the library of two blokes stood outside a tripe dressers workshop which was perhaps in Hyndburn Rd -Bull Bridge area. I thought that one of them may have been my grandad, as it looked like he only had one leg, but it turned out I was mistaken He was standing with one bent at the knee. I cannot remember the firm's name.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2011, 22:22   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

welcome to the forum, southworths is the only one i can remember, never took much notice to be honest, cant stand the stuff.
Old 19-05-2011, 00:56   #6
Junior Member+

I agree, hated the stuff as a kid, don't eat beef now so it's alright,
no, southworths is not the name my grandfather was called Marshall William Whitehead, but he sold the tripe at Blackburn under the name of Marshalls, but this was along time ago. Thanks
Old 21-05-2011, 15:00   #7

Hi and welcome!

Regarding the tripe video, yuk too! They bleach the tripe to make it look better and are allowed to get away with this?
Cigarettes are vehicles to deliver nicotine into people's bloodstreams. Doctors are vehicles to deliver other drugs into people's bloodstreams. Most food in shops is full of salt and additives. There are no fruit and veg shops in Gobbinland. And we are still alive!

http://gobbinland.com/
Gobbiner17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 18:32   #8
Senior Member+

Hello & Welcome
I never think about the last.
heth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 23:32   #9

hi and welcome
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 02:05   #10
Junior Member+

Hi mallard, thankyou it's really good to find a site that I didn't knew existed till a few days ago. My memory isn't good for that time but hopefully looking at all the info will help. Hope I can add to it as well.
Regards
Old 23-05-2011, 02:11   #11
Junior Member+

Hi Gobbiner 17 thanks for the welcome, I am trying to find my way around this site and I am not good with computers so lets see what
happens. Yes, is the answer to bleaching tripe, you would hate it even more if you saw the original colour. They use a very strong soda,caustic if my memory is right but it was a long time ago that I stood in the tripe works on Argyle St.
Have a nice day!
Old 23-05-2011, 02:20   #12
Junior Member+

Hi Atarah, just trying to find my way around this site, not easy for me as I don't do well with computers. The tripe video is great, the fatty seam and honeycomb are still in my memory. Here in Hong Kong there is quite a lot of tripe eaten like I said, but always cooked, not the same as Gordon Ramsey, they eat a lot of offal here, good stuff some of it. I would have replied to this earlier but my dumbness of electrical apliances didn't allow me. Thanks again. Regards
Old 23-05-2011, 02:25   #13
Junior Member+

Hi jaysay and thankyou, I have just discovered this page today, and I am not sure what I am doing with it.
Regards
Old 23-05-2011, 02:28   #14
Junior Member+

Hi Atarah,
Yes, my grandfather lived at 17 Westwood St, he didn't have far to go to work, apart from the days he went to the slaughterhouse at Bury. Regards
Old 23-05-2011, 02:30   #15
Junior Member+

Hi Heth and thankyou, I am trying to find out how to use this site, easy for some but not for me, I have just lost the first message I sent you.
Regards

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..