Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Introduce Yourself
Donate! Join Today

Introduce Yourself New to the forum? Introduce yourself here and get talking. Everyone is welcome here at Accrington Web!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Bob Dobson
  • 1 Post By maxthecollie

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2015, 10:43   #1
Junior Member+

Smile Hi to all

Hi and I'd like to introduce myself. First off though I am pleased I found this site. As a native of Accrington though brought up in Huyton, Liverpool I was browsing for old photos of Stanley and Peel Park. That brought me to this site.
I was browsing as I write my own blog and wanted to do a piece on my nostalgic childhood memories of Accy. I now live in and have retired to the Philippines.
I still have many relatives in Accrington and my mother's (maiden name Cornwall) side of the family hail from Newark Street. My dad was a 'gobbiner'. I was born at 36 Newark Street in 1947. I have fond memories of summer holidays spent at my Grandma's in Newark Street and my Granddad taking me to Peel Park in the 1950s to watch Stanley, my first pro football match. Unfortunately, living in Huyton I ended up being a lifelong LFC fan but still have a soft spot for Stanley and watch out for their results.
I checked the forum rules and that's why I haven't put a link to my blog but I think you can see it in my profile if you are interested.
Anyway when I finish the article on Accy I will ask Mick if I can post it here.
OMG I'm a wordy ******
Old 06-10-2015, 12:45   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Hi to all

I took your gran's papers and played at the top of Newark St on land which had previously been occupied by a fine house.
SteveB47 likes this.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 15:12   #3
Senior Member+

Welcome to the nuthouse
SteveB47 likes this.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 04:26   #4
Junior Member+

Hi Bob
Yes I remember the piece of land very well. Me, my brother and cousin (Michael Boast) often kicked a ball about there. We called it Andys or something like that. I'm talking about the 50s.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:55   #5
Senior Member+

Michael was probably related to my neighbours @ 26 Persia St. If Alan Mitton spots your posting, he may come up with a Newark St photo
Old 07-10-2015, 20:18   #6
Senior Member+

I have been in touch with Alan Mitton and he will try to find something, though he is out of the country at present. I will suggest that he messages you, Steve

Tags
accrington, cornwall, expat, newark street, philippines

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..