Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Introduce Yourself
Donate! Join Today

Introduce Yourself New to the forum? Introduce yourself here and get talking. Everyone is welcome here at Accrington Web!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By susie123

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-12-2012, 15:40   #1

Introduction

Hello, My name is Susan and I live in Tennessee in the US. My husband's father was born and raised in Accrington and I am trying to learn more about his family. His father was James Woods, son of Joshua Woods and Margaret Alice Birtwistle Woods. The Birtwistles desended from the Birtwistles of Huncoat Hall and I would like to be able to trace that linage back as far as possible. Any suggestions as how to get started? I am a novice at geneoloy. Thank you. PS I have visited Accrington twice and it is such a beautiful place.
bamboosusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-12-2012, 15:47   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Introduction

ow do, and welcome, you could try asking for links on the Lost Friends and Family section.,
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 15:55   #3
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboosusan View Post
Hello, My name is Susan and I live in Tennessee in the US. My husband's father was born and raised in Accrington and I am trying to learn more about his family. His father was James Woods, son of Joshua Woods and Margaret Alice Birtwistle Woods. The Birtwistles desended from the Birtwistles of Huncoat Hall and I would like to be able to trace that linage back as far as possible. Any suggestions as how to get started? I am a novice at geneoloy. Thank you. PS I have visited Accrington twice and it is such a beautiful place.
What makes you say Accrington is a beautiful place?
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 16:07   #4
Resting In Peace

Welcome and good luck in your search.

As forum rules say we should not post other stuff in a welcome thread I have added a post here which you may or may not find helpful.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...stle-4621.html
davemac likes this.
Old 31-12-2012, 17:25   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

welcome to the forum.
Old 01-01-2013, 00:17   #6
Senior Member+

Welcome Susan and you're right Accrington has lots of nice places for visitors. If you need help with your family tree stuff drop me a line.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:27   #7

Alccrington is a baeautiful place to me because of the lovely old homes, the beautiful churches and the gorgeous, clean countryside-especially the moors when the heather is blooming.
bamboosusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:46   #8
Resting in Peace

Hello and welcome
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 19:41   #9
Senior Member+

Susan. I repeat what davemac has said - post something on the Friends & Family section. Tell us where the Woods' lived...which school or church they attended...where they worked.....anything else you know. What years are we talking about?
In the book 'History & Associations of Altham & Huncoat' by Richard Ainsworth (1932) there are several references to the Birtwistles. Another descendant of this family is Sir Harrison Birtwistle (b1934), a world-famous composer(of non-musical music)
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:15   #10
Senior Member+

Private message sent, Susan.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..