Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Introduce Yourself
Donate! Join Today

Introduce Yourself New to the forum? Introduce yourself here and get talking. Everyone is welcome here at Accrington Web!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-03-2010, 06:03   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: Knight's Tripe Shop, Clayton?

This is an Introduction section only please use other sections to post and chat in thanks
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-03-2010, 08:16   #17
God Member

How great living in Mexico..................Welcome
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2019, 19:38   #18

I never know where to put these things, there are so many categories, but I have mentioned my great grandma's tripe shop in Clayton several times. It was located at 158 Whalley Road, and the Star Cinema was directly across the road according to my sister. Found this on Facebook, but we are wondering if we can find a photo of the tripe shop. Any ideas? I visited the area in 1978 before the motorway was constructed, and I manged to get a brick from it that I presented to my mother. When she was moved to a nursing home and her house sold, it was carelessly thrown away. https://ibb.co/wBKVGL8
Steerforth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2019, 22:08   #19
Beacon of light

Steerforth, this is best placed as question on the general forum.
I have lived in Clayton for fifty three years and do not remember a tripe shop opposite the Star cinema.
There was a corner shop at the bottom of Henry St(George Hoyle) thornbers chemist was on the opposite corner(broadleys side).
Next door to George Hoyle was the chip shop(Chans).....and on the other side of Chans was a haberdashery(run by John Oldham wife....but I can't bring her name to mind right now).
Maybe the tripe shop was one of the two other than Hoyles....he had been there(I am told) since God was in short trousers.

Now I am sorry that none of this answers your question....I will ask some folk who are older than me and know more about Clayton.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2019, 02:20   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Steerforth, this is best placed as question on the general forum.
I have lived in Clayton for fifty three years and do not remember a tripe shop opposite the Star cinema.
There was a corner shop at the bottom of Henry St(George Hoyle) thornbers chemist was on the opposite corner(broadleys side).
Next door to George Hoyle was the chip shop(Chans).....and on the other side of Chans was a haberdashery(run by John Oldham wife....but I can't bring her name to mind right now).
Maybe the tripe shop was one of the two other than Hoyles....he had been there(I am told) since God was in short trousers.

Now I am sorry that none of this answers your question....I will ask some folk who are older than me and know more about Clayton.
Thanks for your reply, Margaret. We talked in here about the location of the tripe shop years ago. I went by the nick of "Mack" then, and the thread is in "Lost Friends and Family" - "Information about Clayton". You participated in the thread. I think the shop may have been on the corner of Henry Street (Long Row) and Whalley Road. It was torn down to make way for the motorway. Grandma retired in 1949 and closed the shop; she had it for 49 years. She lived with us on Moss Hall Road for a few years before she died in 1952.

I posted this, but it is not available any longer. My mother found the charcoal drawing when she visited the area in the 1970s. Grandma's shop is to the left, and this is where I got the brick from. My cousin from Clitheroe was with me when I got the brick in 1978, and she knew the shop and its location very well.

https://tinyurl.com/qvwxual
Steerforth is offline   Reply With Quote

« Looks | Hello »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..