Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Introduce Yourself
Donate! Join Today

Introduce Yourself New to the forum? Introduce yourself here and get talking. Everyone is welcome here at Accrington Web!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-03-2010, 20:55   #1

Knight's Tripe Shop, Clayton?

Hello Accy!

My name is David Procter, and I live eight miles north of Ensenada, Baja, Mexico, which is about sixty miles south of the border at San Ysidro/Tijuana (fifteen miles south of San Diego). I am a retired professor.

My maternal Great Grandmother was Adalaide Knight who ran a tripe shop on Whalley Road in Clayton le Moors from 1900 - 1949. Anybody remember? I actually got a brick from the old abandoned building in 1978 just before it was demolished to make room for a new motorway.

My mother's maiden name was "Bolton", and she is alive-and-well at age 89, living in Allentown, PA, with my sister Glenys, who is age 67 and is four years older than me.

My Dad, Richard Procter, served in the British Eighth Army during WW2 and was at Dunkirk and in North Africa. Unfortunately, he died in 1969. Also, my mother worked at Broadley's on munitions during the War.

I was born at Rough Lee. We lived on Queensborough Rd. for several years after the War, and then we moved to Moss Hall Road until 1954 when we emigrated to the U.S.

I attended St John's for a year, I think, and then Peel Park for a couple of years. I recall dreadful school dinners!

We still have relatives on my father's side living in Church and Lancaster. We had relatives living on Dill Hall Lane for a long time until the 1960s. Also, relatives named, "Hampson", on my mother's side, one of whom is an author and a former COE vicar.

Any connections or recollections?

Cheers!

David
Steerforth is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-03-2010, 21:31   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Knight's Tripe Shop, Clayton?

Lovely introduction Steerforth, welcome. Will have to think about all your points. I loved the school dinners at Peel Park by the way ...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2010, 21:52   #3

Hello and welcome
vera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2010, 21:59   #4
Senior Member+

I am left wondering why you changed from St John's to Peel Park. Are you confusing it with Hyndburn Park?. I bet Harry Place (aka Fluke)the St John's headmaster wasn't pleased, nor Mrs Thurman who taught at St John's and lived up Moss Hall Rd way.Another St John's teacher, Miss Riley, has just died. Peel Park is celebrating its centenary this year. You are an example of the old saying 'You can take a lad out of Accrington but you can't take Accrington out of a lad'
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2010, 22:38   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I am left wondering why you changed from St John's to Peel Park. Are you confusing it with Hyndburn Park?. I bet Harry Place (aka Fluke)the St John's headmaster wasn't pleased, nor Mrs Thurman who taught at St John's and lived up Moss Hall Rd way.Another St John's teacher, Miss Riley, has just died. Peel Park is celebrating its centenary this year. You are an example of the old saying 'You can take a lad out of Accrington but you can't take Accrington out of a lad'
I'm not certain. I remember Mrs. Thurman fairly well, and I must have only been three or four. I guess it was nursery school, eh? I left England when I was seven.

Mrs. Thurman had (has) a lovely daughter, Freda, who was in the Mother's Union with my mother (Irene Bolton Procter). I had a boyhood crush on Freda, too. There is a photo of her in a chorus line with my mother somewhere in our family memorabelia.

I took the bus to St. John's and got into serious trouble one day for imitating the conductor who would get off the bus before it stopped.

There was also a teacher at St. John's called "Evelyn Bury". She and my mother became fairly close friends -even after we emigrated to the States. They carried on correspondence for many years, and we never knew what happened to her (of course, she died). Mrs. Bury marched with Bertrand Russell in the Ban the Bomb protests in the early 1950s.

Thanks for your warm reply!
Old 16-03-2010, 22:48   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Welcome to the site, from n owd St.Johnser.
Old 16-03-2010, 22:57   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Welcome to the site, from n owd St.Johnser.
I am thirteen months older. I cannot believe I am 63.

Thanks for your welcome!
Old 16-03-2010, 23:28   #8
God Member

Hi welcome to accyweb
Old 17-03-2010, 06:33   #9
God Member

welcome to Accyweb
Old 17-03-2010, 09:52   #10
Resting in Peace

Hello and welcome
Old 17-03-2010, 10:28   #11

Hi welcome to Accyweb
Old 17-03-2010, 17:47   #12

Thanks for all your warm welcomes!

Bacon butty and a cuppa anybody?
Old 17-03-2010, 18:59   #13
Senior Member+

greetings and welcome
still yet another old St John scholar,alive to tell the tales
quite a few Knights still live in and around Clayton
Vic Knight must be in his eighties and all his family

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2010, 07:29   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechy View Post
greetings and welcome
still yet another old St John scholar,alive to tell the tales
quite a few Knights still live in and around Clayton
Vic Knight must be in his eighties and all his family
thats true, mate is one of em, lives sandy lane accy now.
Old 18-03-2010, 13:04   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
thats true, mate is one of em, lives sandy lane accy now.
I don't know of any Knight relatives living in and around Clayton, but I've been advised that if we go far enough back, there will be a connection somewhere.

Ta!

« Looks | Hello »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..