Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Introduce Yourself
Donate! Join Today

Introduce Yourself New to the forum? Introduce yourself here and get talking. Everyone is welcome here at Accrington Web!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2013, 16:18   #1
Junior Member+

Me

I have lived away from Accy for 38 years but regularly pop back to see my brother Michael and note how the town has changed ( not ).

I suppose it's fair to say that once an Accy lad . . Always an Accy lad. I now live in Surrey and it's taken a couple of decades to get used to the people and characters here . . They are very different and very insular which is hard for a Northern chap to come to terms with. I take em with a pinch of salt now but still miss the simple decency and honesty of my Northern roots.

You never know, as I approach my 58th birthday and possible early retirement too . . . I may move back to Hyndburn area in the years ahead . . . So . . . Tell me about what I'm missing !

I may get a response . . You never know 😜
WilliamHurtley is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-12-2013, 16:45   #2
Beacon of light

Re: Me

Welcome to the forum William.
I hope you enjoy it.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 17:14   #3
Resting in Peace

Hello and Welcome, you soon find out lots about Hyndburn on here
Old 03-12-2013, 18:25   #4
Full Member+

Welcome William, you'll find a warm northern greeting here.
Old 03-12-2013, 18:51   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Welcome to the forum, have to agree about down yon, though yer much politer than me using insular.
Old 03-12-2013, 18:58   #6

Welcome to the forum William!
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 19:35   #7
Senior Member+

Welcome to the nuthouse
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 19:41   #8
Senior Member+

If my grandmas were to come back, she's still recognise much of the town centre, which is not as busy as it was. She'd have a job to walk down Dowry Street to find Moore Street and the streets close to the Swan and Wesley chapel. She would think the town had been invaded by those from distant lands. She'd wonder where t'Corpoation buses had gone. I suspect that you will find that much has altered but much remains the same. I too live away,. but near enough to visit most weeks.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 20:04   #9
God Member

Welcome/Bienvenue from the Great White North.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 21:02   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamHurtley View Post
I have lived away from Accy for 38 years but regularly pop back to see my brother Michael and note how the town has changed ( not ).

I suppose it's fair to say that once an Accy lad . . Always an Accy lad. I now live in Surrey and it's taken a couple of decades to get used to the people and characters here . . They are very different and very insular which is hard for a Northern chap to come to terms with. I take em with a pinch of salt now but still miss the simple decency and honesty of my Northern roots.

You never know, as I approach my 58th birthday and possible early retirement too . . . I may move back to Hyndburn area in the years ahead . . . So . . . Tell me about what I'm missing !

I may get a response . . You never know 😜
Welcome. All of welcome, but only of welcome, is allowed by the thicket of rules.
Graham Hartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 21:23   #11
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Hartley View Post
Welcome. All of welcome, but only of welcome, is allowed by the thicket of rules.
Not true....and you are making me contravene the rules here.
The first post is for the person to give a potted history about themselves.
It is we, the responders who, are limited only to messages of welcome.
Otherwise, how could a new member introduce themselves to us?
Old 04-12-2013, 05:17   #12

My apologies for also contravening the rules here, but Graham Hartley – you come across as a self-aggrandising, egotistical person so it might surprise you to find out that this thread is NOT about you. The acronym used is most offensive and if this is the best you can do maybe the quicker you attain your ambition of being banned the better.

I think William Hurtley deserves an apology from you for using his introduction thread to big-note yourself.

William, welcome to a great site – you will enjoy it.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:20   #13
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
My apologies for also contravening the rules here, but Graham Hartley – you come across as a self-aggrandising, egotistical person so it might surprise you to find out that this thread is NOT about you. The acronym used is most offensive and if this is the best you can do maybe the quicker you attain your ambition of being banned the better.

I think William Hurtley deserves an apology from you for using his introduction thread to big-note yourself.

William, welcome to a great site – you will enjoy it.
Dotti - I couldn't have put it better myself.
And for my part William, I apologise for being side tracked from your welcome.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:05   #14
God Member

welcome to accyweb.william
Old 04-12-2013, 08:49   #15

Welcome William,Ignore post 10 ,he's a clown
Big Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..