Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Introduce Yourself
Donate! Join Today

Introduce Yourself New to the forum? Introduce yourself here and get talking. Everyone is welcome here at Accrington Web!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2010, 21:55   #1
Junior Member+

Ossy Gobbin from above the lamp

Hi to everyone, thought I should introduce myself, most of my life spent on Trinity st, my usual haunts in later days were, James St club, Black Dog, Rose and Crown, White Bull and not forgetting the Brittan, ( how could I ) many a fantastic hour spent in wonderful company, my era out and about is from 1970 to 1985, past 25 years what is now paradise, NorthLand New Zealand, cheers Dave
5th Circle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-10-2010, 22:40   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Ossy Gobbin from above the lamp

welcome dave,
Old 05-10-2010, 23:46   #3
God Member

Hiya welcome to accyweb
Old 05-10-2010, 23:51   #4
God Member

Welcome

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:19   #5
Junior Member+

Thanks, for the replies, don't know whether its a good idea to reminisce, can't go back even though my mind drifts back now and then, good times would'nt change it for the world.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:42   #6

Hello and welcome
vera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:47   #7
Resting in Peace

Hello and Welcome, the White Bull was my local around 1970, I lived on Eagle Street
Old 06-10-2010, 10:58   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Circle View Post
Hi to everyone, thought I should introduce myself, most of my life spent on Trinity st, my usual haunts in later days were, James St club, Black Dog, Rose and Crown, White Bull and not forgetting the Brittan, ( how could I ) many a fantastic hour spent in wonderful company, my era out and about is from 1970 to 1985, past 25 years what is now paradise, NorthLand New Zealand, cheers Dave
Welcome from another who lived on Trinity St, right at the very end!!
I'm sure you'll enjoy this forum
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 15:13   #9
God Member

Welcome
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 16:33   #10
Senior Member+

Welcome Dave. Your posting gives me the opportunity of appealing for any photo of the Big Lamp that anyone may have. Please get it on here if you have one. None is thought to exist.

In trhe easrkly 70s I wrote a book - 'Lancashire Nicknames & Sayings' in which I stated that the big lamp, above which anyone born could call thwemzselves a true Gobbin, was outside the Palladium. It didnd't take my dad long to say "Tha's bloody well shown me up, gettin' position wrong" Luckily, it went into a second edition and I was able to correct it.

Big lamps , often called 'the gormless' feature in nicknames applied to the inhabitants of several Lancashire townships. They all infer some degree of mental instability or lack of intelligence. To be honest, I wish I could boast of being a Gobbin. Like Dave, i would tell the world I was an Ossie Gobbin.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 21:25   #11
Senior Member+

hello & welcome
I never think about the last.
heth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:22   #12
Resting in Peace

Welcome to you 5th Circle ... hope you enjoy this site and post on the other boards. x
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 21:51   #13
God Member

hello and welcome
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 06:09   #14

Hi Dave...welcome to Accyweb
Old 11-10-2010, 08:23   #15
Junior Member+

Hi Everyone, thanks for all the posts, I'm a true gobbin, as far as I can remember, the gobbin status was given to everyone who lived up Ossy this being higher up than the lampost that used to be outside the town hall on Union Rd, taking both sides of Union rd, but stopped at the brook after New Lane, named Gobbins after someone tied the townhall to the lamp to stop it from being stolen, ( the legend lives on )

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..