Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Introduce Yourself
Donate! Join Today

Introduce Yourself New to the forum? Introduce yourself here and get talking. Everyone is welcome here at Accrington Web!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Dave Walsh
  • 1 Post By cashman
  • 1 Post By Dave Walsh

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-06-2013, 18:28   #1

Regular Churchgoer

Greetings people of Accrington and surrounding communities. The Mods are urging new members to start here so I will. My name is Dave and I am a Walsh.
I come from Bury and live in Ramsbottom. I am familiar with Accrington and Burnley to a very limited extent but my focus is on Church District to which I appear to have a connection via water and family history. I won't say too much as some Forums prefer a brief introduction and longer blether in the right place.
I was amazed to visit the Church area and see the nicer side particularly along the canal. I've been a few times and had a pint inthe Thorn. Thought it was time I tapped into the obvious friendly place for information and discussion ie here!
I see Bob Dobson "Mr Lancashire" is a prominent figure here. You might recall me from your booksale events Bob [helping a Mr Gleeson].

Cheers,
Dave
Turtle and Parveen akhtar like this.
Dave Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-06-2013, 18:36   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Regular Churchgoer

Welcome to the forum dave, Yer thread title had me a bit worried.
Restless likes this.
Old 20-06-2013, 18:46   #3
Senior Member+

I'm putting out the WELCOME mat Dave. Your name doesn't ring a bell with me, though your face may well. I am wondering what your connection with water in Church is . It could have been worse, as at one time the sewerage works in Church was a world-leader in technology. My dad used to tell that he went to Church every Sunday morning - Church Commercial. Enjoy Church and this site. There's only one way to get to know Church - on foot.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 19:02   #4
Senior Member+

Nice one Dave, welcome to the forum.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 19:21   #5
God Member

Welcome - like Cashman I thought we had gained a 'godbotherer' until I read on.

As for seeing Church 'on foot' - I suggest bovver boots - I have lived there and they seem standard apparel of many of the natives

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 20:14   #6

Thanks for the welcome all. I have done a bit of walking along the canal on a couple of occasions. A mile or two towards Blackburn and the area to the east of the canal bridge where the Hynburn is at the bottom of the gorge! This was with my friend Mike who is the family history wizz! The water connection is an unbuilt canal Bob. I will write it up asap but I may have to ramble on about myself a bit in the process as looking for family history has taken me both to Church District and up another creek as well. Hopefully with a paddle!

I have quite an interest in comparative religions [as it happens] but not in the faith/evangelistic sense you might fear. So does one of my many other study subjects Bob Dylan. Church Kirk is interesting.
Dave
Old 20-06-2013, 22:22   #7
Senior Member+

welcome to the nuthouse
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 00:27   #8
Full Member+

Welcome
US Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 07:54   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Welcome to the forum dave, Yer thread title had me a bit worried.
Me too
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 07:55   #10
Resting in Peace

Welcome Dave now we know its the town and not a place of worship that floats your boat
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 08:37   #11
Senior Member+

I wonder if Dave would get comments such as these Church-related ones if he flit to that suburb of Darwen called........
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 15:30   #12

Well it's a non issue really Bob as I was just punning on the fact that I "go" to Church District whenever I can-nothing to do with religious belief at all although it seems to have been an immediate attention grabber. I seem to have known a stream of eccentric vicars though, since I was a 6 year old in Cannon Street Bury. That particular chap eventually became a Bishop in the Church of Scotland. Twenty years later he used to shop just down the road from me in Stubbins but I didn't find out for another two decades. You can find oversensitivity anywhere in life! Two Rednecks confronted the comedian Bill Hicks in the deep south and told him they didn't like his jokes because they were Christians. He said "Your Christians?" Menacingly they said "Yeah". He said "Well Forgive Me" That's my sort of attitude. My brother and I found Church Kirk itself interesting and unusual right away as the earlist centre of things in Church, along with the Thorn of course! We thought Church would just be industrial wastage. The Priest was very helpfull. Two guy where doing some building work as I looked through the records with my friend. When I told them that I was trying to establish an Irish background one said, "I'm Irish-Oh you don't wan't to bother with us were all mad!"
I'm going to move to the Family Names sectiom now and see if my quest is of interest. If anyone thinks I'm going on too much please let me know publicly or privately-I won't be offended.
mobertol likes this.
Old 21-06-2013, 17:13   #13
Senior Member+

ow do, and welcome
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 16:02   #14
God Member

Do "go on" Dave W -Ciao and welcome!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote

« Hello! | intro »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..