Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Introduce Yourself
Donate! Join Today

Introduce Yourself New to the forum? Introduce yourself here and get talking. Everyone is welcome here at Accrington Web!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-08-2011, 06:33   #16

Re: Rivetlad's introduction

Although I don't recall your name, we most probably have met up in some Hell Hole of a Todmorden boilerhouse. Commencing in the mid-1960s I worked in several " fire 'oles " in Todmorden, Cornholme-** Manchester Rubber Co **--replacing defective rivets, welding repairs on the furnace tubes of " Gradely Owd Lancashire Boilers, retubing the odd heavily-scaled packaged boiler et al. During the dinnertimes of them far-off days, after grafting all morning perhaps in the soot-filled side-flues or combustion chamber, my trusty Boilermakers and I would down pints of Yorkshire bitter or Guiness in the bar of the many local pubs; aye, and go back to work to complete perhaps another 6 or 7 hours! Halcyon Days!---And I miss 'em!
rivetlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-08-2011, 07:16   #17

HELP! What's the procedure for afixing an AVATUR?
Old 31-08-2011, 08:17   #18
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivetlad View Post
Although I don't recall your name, we most probably have met up in some Hell Hole of a Todmorden boilerhouse. Commencing in the mid-1960s I worked in several " fire 'oles " in Todmorden, Cornholme-** Manchester Rubber Co **--replacing defective rivets, welding repairs on the furnace tubes of " Gradely Owd Lancashire Boilers, retubing the odd heavily-scaled packaged boiler et al. During the dinnertimes of them far-off days, after grafting all morning perhaps in the soot-filled side-flues or combustion chamber, my trusty Boilermakers and I would down pints of Yorkshire bitter or Guiness in the bar of the many local pubs; aye, and go back to work to complete perhaps another 6 or 7 hours! Halcyon Days!---And I miss 'em!
I guess that you downed a few pints in the Waggon and Horses if you worked on the boiler at Cornholme. Worst job I ever had was to weld bolts all along the top side of a fire tube so the fireclay (I think) would have something to stick to. I was laying on my back trying to hold a welding rod at the correct angle and in the other hand the welders screen. That really called for a few pints of Stones bitter.

It must be nearly fifty years ago but I van vividly remember sliding head first up the tube and praying nobody would pull the cable out and slam the fire hole door on me, I also remember the Stones bitter afterwards and my father kicking my backside when I got home because I was driving the works Bedford Dormobile.
Old 31-08-2011, 17:43   #19
God Member

Hi Rivetlad!

Do you still have your rivet hammer?

If so, maybe you could bring it to the next Accyweb meet so I could borrow it and use it on some of the other jokers on this website.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 21:53   #20

Aye, so I do. But if I bring the damned weighty machine, you'll require a large diesel compressor and a hundred feet of baggings-airlines.
Old 01-09-2011, 00:00   #21
God Member

Hiya welcome to accyweb
Old 01-09-2011, 07:04   #22

Bernadette---A million thanks for your welcome.
Alan.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:38   #23
Senior Member+

I hope you didn't have to repair this boiler rivetlad, it blew out the side of a mill on the cut bank near Halifax Road Todmorden.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 900037.jpg (26.6 KB, 6 views)
Old 02-09-2011, 13:28   #24

Hi mr. Rivetlad a nice big welcome to the best part of Lancashire. Accrington and Accyweb
T
Tetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 18:10   #25

BOILER EXPLOSION. LORD'S BROTHER'S, CANAL STREET WORKS, TODMORDEN, BOILER EXPLOSION, THURSDAY 21 JANUARY 1875. The horrendous explosion of one out of a bank of three Lancashire boilers killed 7 people and injured many others.
You can read the full horrifying story of this devastating explosion and many other similar boiler explosions in my book: HISTORIC STEAM BOILER EXPLOSIONS. You can purchase a copy of my highly acclaimed book directly from my website:
Sledgehammer Engineering Press - Fred Dibnah's Chimney Drops - New Book Release!
Read the book reviews also---Be Warned You Will Become Hooked On Reading About VICTORIAN STEAM BOILER EXPLOSIONS.
Old 02-09-2011, 18:19   #26

I was a close friend of the famous Bolton Master Steeplejack Fred Dibnah for 25 years. During Fred's Steeple-jacking career he demolished some 90 mill and factory chimneys. I personally witnessed Fred dropping around 30 chimneys and assisted him on a number: Whitfold Mill, Facit, Whitworth, near Rochdale being an example. In 2008 I wrote the best selling book that tells the story of Fred Dibnah's chimney toppling exploits: FRED DIBNAH'S CHIMNEY DROPS. FOR DETAILS GO TO MY WEBSITE :
Sledgehammer Engineering Press - Fred Dibnah's Chimney Drops - New Book Release!
Old 02-09-2011, 18:31   #27
Senior Member+

I hope I haven't poached the photo from your book Rivetlad, it is one I have had in my collection for many years, where it came from I do not know.

Lord's works was near to another fine engineering firm, Kinghorn's. I went to College with the bosses son.
Old 02-09-2011, 18:32   #28

In Haslingden Parish Churchyard is the enigmatic grave of Christopher Duckworth 1744-1800 who was a packhorseman: a Jaggerman. Duckworth led his string of sturdy, sure-footed pack-ponies in hail, rain, moorland mist or snow carrying corn, and other merchandise across the " wastes " of the Rossendale Fells. My wife Christine has documented the fascinating story of the packhorse men in her book:
JAGGERMEN'S BRIDGES ON PACKHORSE TRAILS. Interested? Go to our website:
Old 02-09-2011, 18:33   #29

The photo is taken from a postcard. Nae worries!
Old 02-09-2011, 18:34   #30

Hello and welcome
vera is offline   Reply With Quote

« Hello! | claytonx »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..