Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2011, 05:23   #1

1st Bn East Lancs Regiment

It would appear that the 1st Bn ( or some members of it) was posted to India on 22/Feb 1927 until 10 March 1932, thence to China from 12 March 1932 until 27 March 1933.

Service records showed that they were posted to the Indian Army, whilst in China they were posted to the British Army.

My quetion is India was under British Rule until 1947 did it have its own Army? and if so why would a British Regiment come under its control, can anyone assist me?.

Last edited by keith higson; 07-09-2011 at 05:25. Reason: Incorrect spelling
keith higson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-09-2011, 06:30   #2
God Member

Re: 1st Bn East Lancs Regiment

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith higson View Post
It would appear that the 1st Bn ( or some members of it) was posted to India on 22/Feb 1927 until 10 March 1932, thence to China from 12 March 1932 until 27 March 1933.

Service records showed that they were posted to the Indian Army, whilst in China they were posted to the British Army.

My quetion is India was under British Rule until 1947 did it have its own Army? and if so why would a British Regiment come under its control, can anyone assist me?.
"Indian Army" is the short form of "British Indian Army". My grandad served in the Indian Army in WWl. After being wounded on the Western Front, he was lucky enough to be trained as an Military Policeman and transferred to the Indian Army. Weird, eh. If it weren't for this, I might not be taking up space on this planet
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:18   #3
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith higson View Post

There were battalions of Indians, just like battalions of Ghurka's, but they were led by British Officers & N.C.O's, several units of the Indian army fought in France in WW1, they had their own catering facilities & cooks etc.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:31   #4
God Member

There's stuff on t'telly tonight - Lord Bragg's "Reel History of Britain" 6.30pm, BBC2 - which will be showing film held at Fullwood Barracks, HQ, East/Queens Lancs. I believe Accy Pals will also be on there.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 07-09-2011 at 12:33.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 18:01   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
There's stuff on telly tonight - Lord Bragg's "Reel History of Britain" 6.30pm, BBC2 - which will be showing film held at Fullwood Barracks, HQ, East/Queens Lancs. I believe Accy Pals will also be on there.
Just watch It T very very good program, was basically centred on Accy Pals
Old 08-09-2011, 01:05   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
"Indian Army" is the short form of "British Indian Army". My grandad served in the Indian Army in WWl. etc etc...."

I must thank all of you who replied to my enquiry, all your answers have given me food for thought. My father served in the Regiment as did I. I tried to get info from the Museum at Fulwood but without success.

I have found that "17th Infantry - The Loyal Rregiment" was also part of the British Indian Army in and around 1922,, so perhaps the East Lancs were attached to them seeing that both shared the Depot at Fulwood Barracks, so back I go to my search

Once again thanks please keep the info coming.

Last edited by Neil; 08-09-2011 at 06:07. Reason: Fix quote
keith higson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 22:57   #7
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
There's stuff on t'telly tonight - Lord Bragg's "Reel History of Britain" 6.30pm, BBC2 - which will be showing film held at Fullwood Barracks, HQ, East/Queens Lancs. I believe Accy Pals will also be on there.
I'm sure this will be on here already (sorry Retlaw), but I'd never seen it before, and thought others might not have either.

First part of film shows Accy Pals leaving Salisbury Plain for active service, in 1915.

Second part, Accy Pals visit to Accrington, August 1st, 1915.

ACCRINGTON PALS BATTALION, 1915 [Main] | Imperial War Museums

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 23:23   #8
God Member

Sad to think how many of them must have died...

The odd scene merits re-watching - the group smiling in the car at the end.

Before that a woman (nurse) dressed in white carrying a child perhaps -may just be my fanciful imagination... Late now, will watch again tomorrow and see.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 23:30   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Ta mate never seen that before, out of interest in the second part, wonder which road they were marching into accy on?
Old 14-03-2012, 23:35   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Ta mate never seen that before, out of interest in the second part, wonder which road they were marching into accy on?
Was thinking just the same thing -just that it's too late for me -should be in bed already!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 12:35   #11
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I'm sure this will be on here already (sorry Retlaw), but I'd never seen it before, and thought others might not have either.

First part of film shows Accy Pals leaving Salisbury Plain for active service, in 1915.

Second part, Accy Pals visit to Accrington, August 1st, 1915.

ACCRINGTON PALS BATTALION, 1915 [Main] | Imperial War Museums
That film of the Pals leaving Salisbury Plain in 1915, was done specially for the people back in Accrington,
It was actually made on the 10th Dec, trouble was the officers had handed all their maps in, as preparation for leaving, so a three mile march turned into 12 miles, they got lost. When the Pals really left for Egwypt, it was in the middle of the night Dec 19th 1915.
The other film, I have a copy on DVD, was able to freeze frame it, and identify several of the Pals as they marched up from the Redcap
Retlaw.
Old 15-03-2012, 13:05   #12
Senior Member+

Very interesting.
Perhaps retlaw can tell us-
Were all those men in the Pals? So many of them, can't have been many young men left in Accrington! How many came back?
Were the men leading the march on Salisbury Plain carrying large axes? If so why?
They were wearing 'pith helmets' weren't they? Did they only wear tin helmets on the front line?
Would be interesting to know-I'm sure retlaw can help.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 13:36   #13
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Very interesting.
Perhaps retlaw can tell us-
Were all those men in the Pals? So many of them, can't have been many young men left in Accrington! How many came back?
Were the men leading the march on Salisbury Plain carrying large axes? If so why?
They were wearing 'pith helmets' weren't they? Did they only wear tin helmets on the front line?
Would be interesting to know-I'm sure retlaw can help.
A battalion consists of 1000 men, each consisting of 4 companies, one of the companies consists of Pioneers (the ones carring axes), Signallers & Runners, Stretcher bearers, Cooks, Muleteers, Saddlers & boot makers, Medical section, Stores, Water Men, Wheelwrights Joiners, Cold Shoers, and reach me fetch me carriers.
They were wearing pith helmets because they were going to Egwypt.
During WW1 over 5000 men from Accrington alone, served in the colours from Aug 1914 to 1919. At the outbreak of the war there were already men from Accrington serving in the Army & Navy.
Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 15-03-2012 at 13:39.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..