Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Accrington Bricks (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/accrington-bricks-2157.html)

Markie 09-04-2003 16:23

Accrington Bricks

Accy is famed for its quality bricks, does anyone know where abouts in Accy they used to get these from? Can you still see the quarry where it is?

Plastic-Monkey 15-04-2003 22:17

Re: Accrington Bricks

Accrington bricks, the Nori bricks, were made at the site on Whinney Hill, not a million miles from Stanley's ground.

Most of the site is now covered in houses.   :'(

ukbug 16-04-2003 18:12

you know, i'll never understand that - buy a new house right next to the rubbish tip?  (obviously reffering to the actual tip and not the crown ground)!

quiksilver 05-05-2003 19:18

i think they also used to quarry next to the coppice and i remember the raw materials being carried over Burnley rd via a conveyor belt of some description, which used to drop the odd piece!!

another bit of useless trivia is that Nori is Iron spelt backwards because the brick moulds were made wrong.......oops

littlemo 22-05-2003 02:45

monkey, if you wouldn't move back, where ar eyou living now?

rtbarton 28-06-2003 20:09

[quote author=quiksilver link=board=qanda;num=1049901788;start=0#3 date=05/05/03 at 20:18:42]i think they also used to quarry next to the coppice and i remember the raw materials being carried over Burnley rd via a conveyor belt of some description, which used to drop the odd piece!!

another bit of useless trivia is that Nori is Iron spelt backwards because the brick moulds were made wrong.......oops[/quote]

I remember the conveyor well.  It was an overhead bucket system, where it crossed Burnley Rd there was a net to catch the bits.  My Godmother, Mildred Grimes (dcd) lived near the crossing and I used to spend hours watching the buckets!  Life was simple then - about 50 years ago!

I was told NORI got its name because the steeplejacks put the letters up in the wrong order on the chimney, but I guess the moulds explanation is more likely.

littlemo 28-06-2003 22:38

I live way out here in canada just outside Toronto and I do believe i read somewhere that Nori bricks were used in the CN tower

vin 05-07-2003 21:43

Hi Folks

The main quarry was also next to the brick yard and a tunnel went under Whinney Hill road joining the quarry to the brick works.

The disused quarry is now the site of the landfill site.

emma1 22-07-2003 15:59

The site next to the coppice was actually used for slate :)

Ernie 22-07-2003 16:39

On the subject of Accrington Bricks, I understand they played a substantial part in the building of the Empire State Building.  http://www.accy.net/accyfact.htm

Chris7464 23-07-2003 13:48

[quote author=quiksilver link=board=qanda;num=1049901788;start=0#3 date=05/05/03 at 20:18:42]i think they also used to quarry next to the coppice and i remember the raw materials being carried over Burnley rd via a conveyor belt of some description, which used to drop the odd piece!![/quote]
It was a cable car system that went over Burnler Rd.  It was used to supply the old Redac brick works in Huncoat.

Atarah 24-07-2003 22:23

They are quite right, the buckets used to go across Burnley Road and if you look at my website and keep looking ;D, I may put a picture of them on there for you.

Owd Bert 31-07-2003 15:21

The Web Site mentioned above is superb and is a must for anyone interested in Old Accy.
By the way -- Iron is very appropriate as anyone will know who has tried to drill into a Nori brick.

Jo 13-08-2003 09:44

My dad and his naughty brothers used to sit in the buckets and slide down across Burnley Rd. There's one to add to the theme "we shouldn't have survived" on the other page!!

Dave 13-08-2003 20:15

My dad used to work at the Redac site, used to go & watch the buckets coming in with shale...

Also put my name on a few bricks when they were in the clay stage waiting to be baked ;D ;D