Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Pearl House (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/pearl-house-22301.html)

Tybow 10-06-2006 11:50

Pearl House

Met a bloke in Kingston, Ontario, Canada who also came from Accrington. He said when he was young he lived at the top of Pearl Street, in a large house called PEARL HOUSE. I don't remember it, does anyone?

cashman 10-06-2006 12:01

Re: Pearl House

dont remember it being top of pearl street,thought it was on birtwistle street i think i,m sure it was a house for wayward/stray young ladies? at that time in the 60s i lived at black annies on birtwistle street and was known to associate with a young lady from the said establishment.lol maybe time has dimmed the brain cells but i'm sure that was pearl houe.

katex 10-06-2006 12:17

I can't remember exactly where it was Cashman, but definitely rings a bell, always thought was summat to do with the Pearl Assurance company ?

cashman 10-06-2006 12:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex
I can't remember exactly where it was Cashman, but definitely rings a bell, always thought was summat to do with the Pearl Assurance company ?

i'm not known to gamble katex but i'll put ackers on it being where i said- unless someone on accyweb knows differant.lol:)

Tybow 10-06-2006 12:28

He said he lived there with his Grandparents, and the railway ran behind the house. He said it would shake the house when a train past. Just curious as we lived in Holland Street from 1965-1976, then we came to Canada.

katex 10-06-2006 12:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tybow
He said he lived there with his Grandparents, and the railway ran behind the house. He said it would shake the house when a train past. Just curious as we lived in Holland Street from 1965-1976, then we came to Canada.

Well, that would tie in with Pearl Street, railway line ran across the top. Feel like Cashman though, somebody will remember. Mick .. go and take a look next time you passing.

Wynonie Harris 10-06-2006 17:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman
thought it was on birtwistle street i think i,m sure it was a house for wayward/stray young ladies?

Why did I not know about this? Damn! Missed out again! :mad:

cashman 10-06-2006 18:55

think ive got it wrong birtwistle street was holly house i think. its a long time ago, which makes me feel positivley ancient.lol:D and wyn you missed it cos you didn't know me.:D

katex 10-06-2006 19:05

Is Pearl Street still standing anyway ... part of the Project Phoenix, aint it ??

K.S.H 10-06-2006 19:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex
Is Pearl Street still standing anyway ... part of the Project Phoenix, aint it ??

Nah, its all gone round there now

Wynonie Harris 10-06-2006 20:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman
and wyn you missed it cos you didn't know me.:D

I'm sure the 60's would have swung a lot more if I'd been knocking round with you, Mr C! :cool:

junetta 10-06-2006 21:42

I lived in Holland Street from around 1959 until 1970 and I must admit that this Pearl House does ring a bell. I'll need to sleep on it though, but he could be right.

Frank Sanderson 02-01-2015 13:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tybow (Post 279764)
Met a bloke in Kingston, Ontario, Canada who also came from Accrington. He said when he was young he lived at the top of Pearl Street, in a large house called PEARL HOUSE. I don't remember it, does anyone?

Best man for history is Bob Dobson, but Pearl House was at the top of Pearl St in its own grounds. There was a large underground tunnel from Pearl House grounds leading into Lonsdale St. Possibly part of the old Andersons Boiler works at the top of Newark St.

Bob Dobson 02-01-2015 19:09

Pearl House was a fine house at the top of Pearl St, by the railway. I don't know which came first, but suspect that Street pre-dated Pearl House, though such a house may have had another name before the street came. The Andersons did oiccupy another house called something like Boiler Works House. They ( Alfred initially) was a boiler maker with a factory in what was probably Newark St. In 1861, there were only 54 ladies called Pearl in census. None were Peels or Steiners. Possbily, but I think unlikely, the Pearl Loan Co ( later Pearl Assurance) might have funded the building of the street or the house. I am sceptical on all tunnels.

jelly baby 03-01-2015 12:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 279766)
dont remember it being top of pearl street,thought it was on birtwistle street i think i,m sure it was a house for wayward/stray young ladies? at that time in the 60s i lived at black annies on birtwistle street and was known to associate with a young lady from the said establishment.lol maybe time has dimmed the brain cells but i'm sure that was pearl houe.

Was that not Holly House? I remember it from the early 70's, a couple of my friends rented rooms there.... although they weren't 'wayward', just short of somewhere to live.