Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Should I ? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/should-i-28218.html)

maxwell silver 03-02-2007 00:21

Should I ?

Does anyone here think its too late to learn to drive at 47 years old?The reflexes & vision isn't what it was 20 odd years ago(but that depends on who you talk to:D )i'm not thinking of jaunts up & down our sceptered isle every weekend but after 30 years of walking up & down ossys union road,to & from work,the pins are feeling the strain.A 15 minute brisk walk has turned into a 25/30 minute amble,& 20 fags a day has'nt helped the walking cause at all.I've had a good offer from a friend on driving lessons,but the roads these days seem a lot more intimidating than 20 years ago.I used to be scared of flying,but now it's the trip to & from the airport that worries me.And with that kind of attitude i can already see most of you saying Max,phone a cab..:(

cashman 03-02-2007 00:26

Re: Should I ?

max it aint to late to learn, a friend of mine passed last year @ 50 so if you fancy it,go for it.

cashman 03-02-2007 00:31

P.S. add 3 years on that it was a female.:D

shillelagh 03-02-2007 00:35

Its never to late to learn anything!!!

Oi cashy - behave!!!

maxwell silver 03-02-2007 00:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 378675)
Its never to late to learn anything!!!

Oi cashy - behave!!!

Don't know if i'm giving out a negative vibe :rolleyes: but these days info seems to slide down the linings of the brain rather than stick to the sides.Could be another disadvantage.I'm talking myself out of this one,are'nt i :o

LancYorkYankee 03-02-2007 01:46

Gosh Maxwell, ya make it seem like 47 (I'm only 46 & 2 months) is already entered geezerhood! Of course you could and should give it a go. I imagine if accomplished it'll give you a huge sense of satisfaction and confidence! If it doesn't work out you've not lost a thing!

Brian

Ernie 03-02-2007 07:28

Go for it Max, I wish you the best of luck with the driving.

WillowTheWhisp 03-02-2007 07:47

You could always give it a try and then if you don't fancy it at least you'll know you tried.

panther 03-02-2007 10:12

my fella's always telling me to learn to drive and im in my thirties, but i have not got the patience, too many idots on the rd for me, id get done for road rage!! but if you think you can do it GO FOR IT! :D

magpie 03-02-2007 11:07

yeah go for it, if I can pass my driving test: ( trust me anyone can) however its a bit different now, you have to know the highway code and all that: and how to park ( not very good at that bit yet)
I passed my test in an auto ( so I can only drive and auto) however if I take my test in one with 3 foot things and I fail, would they take my auto licence off me: there is no way I could remember the highway code, takes me all my time to remember where I parked the car:

Margaret Pilkington 03-02-2007 14:08

No.....No, a million times NO.........if you have the motivation you cam learn anything. My husband would love to be able to play the cornet.....too much Hetty Wainthrop methinks......today he saw a cornet in a shop and was tempted to buy it.......I didn't egg him on, but if he HAD bought it I would have encouraged him to learn to play it......and bought myself some industrial strength ear plugs :)

Gayle 03-02-2007 14:31

Go for it - no one is ever, ever, ever, too old for anything. It's the most depressing thought in the world! The one thing I have always said is that I would hate to get to the end (die) and regret not doing something. Plenty of time to regret the things you've done but never let yourself say "I wish I'd......"

Sara 03-02-2007 16:07

Have a few lessons, then decide. As most people have said it's never to late to learn.

garinda 03-02-2007 16:42

You're never to old to learn anything, go for it.

In October I have to have my driving licence renewed at Wrightington Hospital near Wigan, something I have to do every three years. The real driving exam is a breeze compared with that test. One hour pressing buttons, and pedals when lights flash, as well as driving for 40 miles around Wigan. They examine people without full sets of limbs, and other severe disabilities. If they can do it, you can.

Good luck.:)

lettie 03-02-2007 16:45

It's never too late to learn Maxwell. Think of the advantages that you have above the other road users. You are more mature than a lot of our 'boy racers' out there so you are therefore likely to have a bit more common sense on the road. With maturity comes patience so you are less likely to make rash road decisions which would cause accidents..:D I could go on listing the positives, but only you can decide. You seem to have focused on the negatives as a way of talking yourself out of doing it.

Go for it Maxwell, have a few lessons and see if you like it, if not, then at least you tried.