Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   weather?? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/weather-29920.html)

westendlass 24-12-2015 09:57

Re: weather??

Sorry, wrong thread, whoops.

Accyexplorer 08-02-2016 13:28

Why are folk humanising the weather?
"Barney","Steve" and now "Imogen" these are some of the names put forward for our recent weather conditions.
It may just be me,but there does seem to be more "storms" since they started naming the ruddy things.
To be quite Frank,I've had more than my Phil of this wet weather.
The wind isn't constant but the gusts are frightening,it's put a dampener on my day...

...The Met office have come up with a "name our storms" project if anyone has a suggestion.

Gusty Gordon,windy Whizz,lightening Less,damp gusset Dave,mesoscale Margaret and wet shower explorer are all names I Imogen won't make it to the short list.

Margaret Pilkington 08-02-2016 13:48

I don't like the naming of storms either. Maybe because it is something the Yanks do.
I was supposed to be taking Ma for her diabetic review today, but I very gently suggested that it was a day where she might end up blown away, wet through and chilled to the marrow.
So we didn't go. It isn't sensible to venture out into inclement weather unless you absolutely have to.
As for Mesoscale Margaret...well I would have preferred meteoric, but ah well..if I have to be middling, then so be it.

DaveinGermany 08-02-2016 19:33

"Bluddy awful" is about the only name really suitable for the lousy weather. ;)

Accyexplorer 09-02-2016 13:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1160621)
"Bluddy awful" is about the only name really suitable for the lousy weather. ;)

Yes,I agree,more appropriate names are needed ;)

ossy kid 05-05-2016 05:27

Record high temperatures are contributing to a massive forest fire in Fort McMurray Northern B.C. has made 80,000 people flee their homes, never seen anything like it, houses are shells, trucks and cars just shells, my daughter who works in an oil camp there just phoned to say they are just being bused to Edmonton. It,s like watching a movie seeing all the vehicles driving through the burning forests, very scary and no rain forcast until Monday. Thankfully no injuries though.

Eric 05-05-2016 11:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by ossy kid (Post 1167826)
Record high temperatures are contributing to a massive forest fire in Fort McMurray Northern B.C. has made 80,000 people flee their homes, never seen anything like it, houses are shells, trucks and cars just shells, my daughter who works in an oil camp there just phoned to say they are just being bused to Edmonton. It,s like watching a movie seeing all the vehicles driving through the burning forests, very scary and no rain forcast until Monday. Thankfully no injuries though.

Those poor folks in Alberta are having a rough time of it with that freaky weather ... and they had that massive flooding back in '13. Weather out on the prairies and areas up toward the shield can be real scary. All we can hope for is that the fire will burn itself out, and that nobody will be hurt. Canadian firefighters and emergency response teams are world class. And we are lucky in the sense that the damage will be limited to property

Down here around the Great Lakes weather has been cool, damp and miserable ... kinda like the Clayton weather I remember...

I know what you mean about "watching a movie" ... more and more of the world's weather seems like something out of a disaster movie ...

Margaret Pilkington 05-05-2016 12:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by ossy kid (Post 1167826)

I hope everyone stays safe.
Houses and trucks can be replaced...those we love cannot.

We have been in Australia when they have had forest fires(firestorms) and seen the devastation they cause.
Strangely though, communities seem to rally together and be made stronger by such adversity.
My thoughts are with all those who are affected.
Man likes to feel he has control, but in truth Mother nature will always have the last word.

ossy kid 06-05-2016 00:25

Unfortunately this forest fire was not started by mother nature it had human help.

Aussie Irene 06-05-2016 03:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by ossy kid (Post 1167920)
Unfortunately this forest fire was not started by mother nature it had human help.

Like 95% of the fires we have here have human help.

Margaret Pilkington 06-05-2016 06:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by ossy kid (Post 1167920)

Yes, as Dotti says, Much the same in Oz.
Although Mother Nature doesn't start it she sometimes helps it along a bit with winds that fan the flames.