Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Why no more houses? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/why-no-more-houses-31018.html)

Gayle 25-05-2007 16:10

Why no more houses?

This is a question for someone from the council to answer.

I read in last weeks paper that there are about 3,000 people waiting for houses in Hyndburn.
The house prices in the area have gone up considerably over the last five or six years, so much so that they are pricing first time buyers out of the market.

So, the question is - why was I told that there is a halt on allowing planning permissions for new houses in the area? Or is that no longer the case?

spinner 25-05-2007 16:38

Re: Why no more houses?

if there is a halt on newbuild planning then it can only be aa good thing. why erect those awful newbuilds- thats not the only option available to cater for the people on the waiting list. there is so much of so called low demand housing in accrington why dont they just refurbish these properties to a high standard instead of knocking them down. has anyone seen how awful Holland street looks now? it was a really pretty street before the coucil intervened with their clearence programme and there were no empty properties.. the council say those homes are unfit to live in but ive been in those homes before the clearence programme and they were normal clean decent houses. even now that street can be rescued from the council but instead they will replace it with a part concrete mess. enviromentally speaking its not good either.

spinner 25-05-2007 16:40

the coucil is a joke

Less 25-05-2007 16:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by spinner (Post 429084)
if there is a halt on newbuild planning then it can only be aa good thing. why erect those awful newbuilds- thats not the only option available to cater for the people on the waiting list. there is so much of so called low demand housing in accrington why dont they just refurbish these properties to a high standard instead of knocking them down. has anyone seen how awful Holland street looks now? it was a really pretty street before the coucil intervened with their clearence programme and there were no empty properties.. the council say those homes are unfit to live in but ive been in those homes before the clearence programme and they were normal clean decent houses. even now that street can be rescued from the council but instead they will replace it with a part concrete mess. enviromentally speaking its not good either.

Well gosh spinner, I agree with you, I used to live on Holland St, Unfortunately due to the clearance scheme I had to move on. I have been lucky in that I've only moved a few streets away and into a refurbished terrace house. Number 1 Holland St was worked on last year and the standard that was taken to was fantastic and yet even that has had the metal doors put on it. It was and could still be an excellent little street, just a shame that it is coming to an end. :(

spinner 25-05-2007 16:55

less didnt you want to challenge the coucil though i used to get a really good feeling when i walked through that street. it was such a sweet cottagy loooking street. i know that no1 was refurbished to a high standard . i spoke to someone about it recently and they said even if 1 person living there objects to the impending demolition it will be stopped as long as the properties have no structural damage or are in serios disrepair

spinner 25-05-2007 17:00

i dont see how the council are getting away with damaging Accringtons stone heritage. fair enough some streets were tatty but surely pictre postcard streets such as holland street should have been free from clearence. whats going on future generations will blame us for being complacent

SPUGGIE J 25-05-2007 17:26

It seems to be an epidemic sweeping the country at the moment. Makes me wonder if it is to make housing more expensive and make developers richer. Everyone should have a home that they can call their own whether rented or bought yet it is in such short supply and what does go up is out of reach or a normal person and their family. Someone for what they would pay for a new house could do up one of the old terreced houses and still have money over. When I see how they build and the materials they use it makes me think those that buy must be mad. To buy a house is to invest in bricks and morter in my view not plasterboard breeze blocks and cake bricks. Those today go up so quick and cheap its unbelievable especially considering what they sell at.

cashman 25-05-2007 17:42

spinner and spuggie have very valid points to me, i worked in construction early 70s, and the crap that went into "new" was unbelievable to me, i remember commenting that these will be rubble when the 80 odd year old terrace are still standing, they are very well constructed and now most are 100 year old and more, and looked after proper are much better. the areas round here that the money has gone towards so far proves the point. they look very well.

WillowTheWhisp 25-05-2007 17:50

I totally agree with you Spinner about Holland Street - it was a lovely little street and to demolish those houses is a crying shame. Accrington is losing all its character.

garinda 25-05-2007 17:56

According to this, there is a five year wait for social housing in Hyndburn.

http://www.thisislancashire.co.uk/mo...n_hyndburn.php

garinda 25-05-2007 18:35

I'm with the majority on this one. The old, well built, stone, terraced housing should have been improved and refurbished, instead of demolished.

I'll bet the new builds won't be standing in a hundred years.

Gayle 25-05-2007 18:43

I do agree with you that older houses are more attractive and have more character. My point is that regardless of what they do with the old houses (I personally think they should renovate) is that they have put a stop on planning permissions for new houses. Surely, given the demand for housing both old houses should be renovated and new houses built.

SPUGGIE J 25-05-2007 18:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 429133)
I'm with the majority on this one. The old, well built, stone, terraced housing should have been improved and refurbished, instead of demolished.

I'll bet the new builds won't be standing in a hundred years.

One teenage drunken party could bring down a new build style house. There boom boom music would shake it to pieces. :eek:

bullseyebarb 25-05-2007 18:48

I'm in agreement. They are demolishing more than mere buildings, they are demolishing history. I'd take a good old stone built over the modern, government sponsored rubbish any day.

spinner 25-05-2007 19:18

i felt so strongly about holland st that i contacted julian hickenbottom from the council. he laughed when i told him that i saw no reason for it to be demolished. he said they were in poor condition internally- that is simply not true ive been to a few homes on that street and its simply not the case. internally they are no different to other terraces which have not been knocked down. the only reason they are being replaced with shoody new homes is that the developers will be able to make a tidy profit by building cheap semis with gardens which will command higher prices/rents than the old terraces. theyll get the land for next to nothing too under the pretext of regenerating run down areas.