Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Absent parents (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/absent-parents-31239.html)

panther 07-06-2007 10:11

Absent parents

Should absent parents be named and shamed?

If proposals go through parliament, C-MEC could publicly name and shame, remove passports, impose curfews and even take money direct from absent parents' bank accounts if they refuse to pay.
Do you think this is fair?....:rolleyes:

lancsdave 07-06-2007 10:13

Re: Absent parents

It's fair, but it's also a load of cobblers that they will do it. They say they are only going to name people who have already been prosecuted. Why should they name and shame them, if they still haven't complied they should be behind bars.

andrewb 07-06-2007 10:18

Naming and shaming is just usual New Labour headline grabbing gimmicks. I'm not to sure of the bill as a whole. It depends how "fair" the actual court ruling is, because as I understand most children stop with their mothers, but thats not really fair on the father because although its his child he has no way of making sure the money he is giving over is actually being spent on the child.

lancsdave 07-06-2007 10:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyfr (Post 432731)
Naming and shaming is just usual New Labour headline grabbing gimmicks. I'm not to sure of the bill as a whole. It depends how "fair" the actual court ruling is, because as I understand most children stop with their mothers, but thats not really fair on the father because although its his child he has no way of making sure the money he is giving over is actually being spent on the child.

You sound like one of those absent fathers who would expect an itemised expense sheet for a maintenance claim :D:D

accymel 07-06-2007 10:42

DO NOT GET ME STARTED ON THIS TOPIC!!

Funny this will come into force by 2013 - mmmmmmm my children will have grown up by then to 16 youngest :mad:

Less 07-06-2007 11:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by panther (Post 432726)

If proposals go through parliament, C-MEC could publicly name and shame, remove passports, impose curfews and even take money direct from absent parents' bank accounts if they refuse to pay.

Do you???????:p

AccyMad 07-06-2007 11:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by panther (Post 432726)

In some circumstances, yes it would be fair to do any or all of the above but I'm not holding my breath that it will actually be enforced after the laughable way the CSA went about things. In my case my ex gave up his job just as they were sorting through the case and so was told he didn't have to pay anything for his 2 kids but that it would be reviewed after two years - that was in 1998 - and guess what, it was never reviewed so he hasn't paid a penny to them in 9 years. At one point he offered me £5 a week, I told him to pay it into the boys own accounts (that would answer your point Cyfr) but guess what - it never materialised. So, yes if it could be made to work it would be good

lancsdave 07-06-2007 11:16

The sort of people who have no morals or compassion to support their children are hardly going to bother about being named and shamed anyway.

AccyMad 07-06-2007 12:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 432743)
The sort of people who have no morals or compassion to support their children are hardly going to bother about being named and shamed anyway.

That's very true unfortunately

cashman 07-06-2007 16:47

think its another stupid gimmick, deduct child maintainance from wages/benefits job sorted.

West Ender 07-06-2007 17:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 432779)
think its another stupid gimmick, deduct child maintainance from wages/benefits job sorted.

I couldn't agree more.

WillowTheWhisp 07-06-2007 19:08

Has naming and shaming ever solved anything?

cashman 07-06-2007 19:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp (Post 432813)
Has naming and shaming ever solved anything?

doubtful,some would regard it as a badge of honour, as they do with tags,asbos, etc.

lancsdave 07-06-2007 20:18

Quote:

That would mean government departments liasing with each other, lets keep it real please :rolleyes:

Stanaccy 07-06-2007 21:35

Quote:

Works for people who are in PAYE bit of a difficulty for self employed. Personally I think that all acounts should be made available and this would stop the cash in had jobs paid into new partners account. and allow direct debits set up to the resident parent (not all non resident parents are blokes).

My wife's ex (after a big fight including the immortal quote from him "well they live with him now he should look after them" (or I've absolved my responsibilities thank f**k) is having his maintenance deducted from his benefit but then you rely on the company. It would be an improvement to include it in the tax then HMRC pay it.

Yes it does mean departments communicating but they do it at the moment with all benefits and tax credits and child benefit.