Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   help cheap garage needed (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/help-cheap-garage-needed-32000.html)

davo69 09-07-2007 16:01

help cheap garage needed

bought fiesta car and there is no comprestion in one of the cylinders local garage as told me £480 plus vat onley payed £650 for car gutterd anyone no a cheap garage?

pipinfort 09-07-2007 17:25

Re: help cheap garage needed

don`t know about cheap but AUTOFIX on agyle st, back of aldi is very good.

Sparkologist 09-07-2007 18:21

2 possible reasons spring to mind:

The bore is scorched. I dunno whether or not a sleeve liner would have to be fitted.

The cylinder head is warped. In which case the engine would need a head skim. Big Job! Hence the price.

Who sold you the lemon? If they won't give you some recompense, then extract some recompense!

WillowTheWhisp 09-07-2007 18:32

Grange Lane usually very good but if it's an expensive job even they won't be cheap.

davo69 09-07-2007 19:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparkologist (Post 446441)
2 possible reasons spring to mind:

The bore is scorched. I dunno whether or not a sleeve liner would have to be fitted.

The cylinder head is warped. In which case the engine would need a head skim. Big Job! Hence the price.

Who sold you the lemon? If they won't give you some recompense, then extract some recompense!

my own fault but from auctions.no water loss no oil loss doesnt over heat %% 55000miles full services history

entwisi 09-07-2007 19:15

probably cheaper to buy a s/h engine from a good source (plenty of rotten body fiestas about with good running gear) and either do a short motor transplant (block head etc) or drop teh whole lot in. Fiestas aren't exactly difficult cars to work on.

madmal_1 09-07-2007 23:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by davo69 (Post 446471)
my own fault but from auctions.no water loss no oil loss doesnt over heat %% 55000miles full services history

it sounds like it could be a bent valve do,s the timing belt look new

entwisi 10-07-2007 07:24

Loss of compression is normally as sparks says, pressure going down bores (scored or just worn piston rings), out of head gasket (normally accompanied by overheating as the water is forced out the radiator safety valve), past the valves(depends on whether its carb or injection as to how to test these without taking thehead off).

How 'well' does the engine run(if at all)? You said "no compression" which suggests more than just a minor 'fault'.

davo69 10-07-2007 07:33

runs but misses 124 cylinders no problems 16 valve zetech engine

entwisi 10-07-2007 08:29

Back to my original reply, buy a s/h one and fit that

mrjdallen 18-07-2007 11:12

i go to national tyres and auto care - where if they cant do it they will take it to the best place they think can - not been over pricey for me before

davo69 03-08-2007 11:32

well you wont believe this i have got good news for once as you will no i have had no look with cars of late so i want to share some good news .this fiesta as sat in my garden since i bought it after my son had a crash in rover we decieded to bite the bulitt and get it fixed took it to burnley road garage blackburn got told chad asian guy was good and honest well what can i say took car in yesterday morning got phone call this morning car is readey all i needed was a set of spark plugs there was nothing rong with compression he also put new back and middle boxes on my car one hundred pounds drives like a new car what a nice honest man.so off to hsg garauge in blackburn to give them a big piece of my mind and to demand my 44 pound back they charged me for doing a compression test .