Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Do they know something i dont? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/do-they-know-something-i-dont-32402.html)

Lyn 23-07-2007 13:49

Do they know something i dont?

Ok heres the question... 4 years weve been living on Arncliffe Avenue in Springhill....lovely little quiet avenue that looks marvellous in May with huge cherry trees, But I digress.....

In those four years not one house has been for sale.....now, 4 houses have gone up for sale in a very short space of time and I can think of at least two more that appear to be getting the House Doctor treatment....so, the question is.... do these people know something about this area that I dont and are legging it before it happens or..... are they cashing in on the considerable rise in house prices on our avenue over the past couple of years? Does anyone here know something that maybe I should?

MargaretR 23-07-2007 13:56

Re: Do they know something i dont?

I can only surmise that the owners of ex council houses are being faced with the prospect of compulsory expensive repair bills, because if they are one half of a set of semis and the exterior needs repair/revamp, they will have signed some sort of agreement to permit and pay for such repairs when they purchased. I stand to be corrected, but know this will apply to ex council flat dwellers when communal facilities (roof, stairwells) are repaired - maybe to semis too.

Lyn 23-07-2007 14:02

Hi Margaret,

We dont have such agreements in place on here - and all the houses have been private a very long time and for the most part very well maintained. A large amount of residents have a been here 30+ years - in fact our own house has only ever had one previous owner before us. Everyone is responsible for the outside of their own house as normal, certainly no special restrictions or conditions when the houses are sold. I was wondering if something is happening more to the area surrounding that I didnt know about?

shillelagh 23-07-2007 14:12

Might be because of the HIP's people have decided to sell up thats whats happened here - theres 5 houses round me that have decided to sell up.

MargaretR 23-07-2007 14:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lyn (Post 452701)
Hi Margaret,

We dont have such agreements in place on here - and all the houses have been private a very long time and for the most part very well maintained. A large amount of residents have a been here 30+ years - in fact our own house has only ever had one previous owner before us. Everyone is responsible for the outside of their own house as normal, certainly no special restrictions or conditions when the houses are sold. I was wondering if something is happening more to the area surrounding that I didnt know about?

So it looks like 'cashing in' on house price rises. Some folks on this forum regularly watch planning applications and report anything which might be detrimental. So if anything is likely to be happening in your area soon, it may be discussed here.
The house price bubble is set to burst soon and wherever they move to they will be paying inflated prices , so I cant see what they will gain by moving , unless they are going into rented social housing.

PS who are 'HIP's people'?

shillelagh 23-07-2007 14:26

BBC NEWS | Business | Q&A: Home information packs

There you are margaret. Its the home improvement packs that the government were supposed to bring in on the 1st June.

Lyn 23-07-2007 14:30

Nah it says:

"Now, from 1 August only four-bedroom homes will have to have a Hip."

All the houses on arncliffe are 3 bed

cashman 23-07-2007 14:39

i'd be tempted to do some "fishing" amost those who are selling, if most have been there a good while you must be on friendly/speaking terms with some?

WillowTheWhisp 23-07-2007 14:45

I can't see the point of these HIPs - especially when they admit that they will easily become out of date so that means each time a house is sold it needs a new HIP. They also say potential buyers shouldn't rely on them and to get their own survey and searches done. Sounds to me like the only benefit is to the HIP provider who gets paid £700 or so for the thing.