Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Lancashire hot pot .... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/lancashire-hot-pot-41302.html)

Eric 23-07-2008 17:57

Lancashire hot pot ....

What exactly is it .... I can remember my gran making it, but is there a standard recipe? No pictures please, I don't want to drool on my keyboard.;)

jaysay 23-07-2008 18:01

Re: Lancashire hot pot ....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 610304)
What exactly is it .... I can remember my gran making it, but is there a standard recipe? No pictures please, I don't want to drool on my keyboard.;)

I make one regularly Eric, but what you put into it varies, I use Lamb chops, onions, potatos, stock cube and seasoning, other people put carrots and other veges in, but I like mine simple and it very tasty too

MargaretR 23-07-2008 18:09

Traditionally 'best end of neck of lamb' is placed on top of layered potato slices and onions.
No liquid (or very little) to be added because the potaoes and onions get basted by the fat as it melts down onto them.
Very slow cooking essential - traditionally left in a low oven all day to provide a ready meal on return from t'mill

katex 23-07-2008 18:11

It's 'orrible, about the only meal I did not enjoy as a child, who puts lamb chops in a casserole type meal ? Flabby fat.. yuk. I have never been a fussy eater (albeit not a large appetite), however the only bit of a hot pot I enjoyed was the crispy sliced potatoes off the top .. and the gravy.

Eric 23-07-2008 18:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 610310)
Traditionally 'best end of neck of lamb' is placed on top of layered potato slices and onions.
No liquid (or very little) to be added because the potaoes and onions get basted by the fat as it melts down onto them.
Very slow cooking essential - traditionally left in a low oven all day to provide a ready meal on return from t'mill

So if I wanted to make one .... lamb is the key; I don't think I could get best end of neck around here. Lamb is not very popular here, I think the scotsmen scared most of the sheep away:eek: But one butcher, a Greek, does do lamb chops and roasts, and stewing meat. How do you think it would do in a slow cooker?

MargaretR 23-07-2008 19:11

When using a slow cooker it is recommended to place the meat at the bottom where there is most heat - that will remove the basting effect and you wont have a good hotpot.

Margaret Pilkington 23-07-2008 19:21

I make it, but I don't eat it...i know that sounds daft, but hubby likes it and I don't.
I get Chump chops and choose them without too much fat...a little is essential for the flavour.......I flash fry them in a non stick pan(no added fat)........cook a couple of large onions in the same pan(picks up the flavour and any juices left in the pan)
I Slice three large potatoes and(old ones are best)......and bring to the boil in lightly salted water.......drain and then layer the onions and potatoes a couple of carrots in good size chunky pieces.....put the chops in the middle, and then put a layer of potato and onion over the top, add a 3/4pint of stock and roast in a low oven.........about 35 minutes before the stuff is to be served i brush the top with butter and move the dish up to the top of the oven and turn the heat up to pastry cooking heat(gas mark 7) to crisp up the top layer of spuds...keep an eye on the browning process...you want the top layer crispy but not cremated.
Hope that helps Eric.

entwisi 23-07-2008 19:55

slow cookers are OK but you don't get teh crsut that makes it so yummy. You can put the lamb in high up as teh heat rises and teh hottest liqued is at teh top so it does work.

It doesn't want or need to be tender lamb as its cooked so slow and low. in fact teh scrag end was chosen because of its good flavour ( due to teh bones) and teh fact that you couldn't use it in any other meal.

Traditionally it also had Oysters in it round teh seaside (Blackpool/morecambe) as they were cheap.

just stick onion, spuds, carrots, salt pepper in and give it a help with a stock cube if you like. Leave it a good 8 or 9 hours on low or in an oven for about 2-3, leave teh top off for a nice crust.

West Ender 23-07-2008 20:15

I make my own variation of hotpot - more like meat and potato pie. I use lentils and pearl barley (boiled to softness) as well as potatoes and carrots (diced) and I prefer leeks to onions. I usually use neck of lamb, sliced and browned in a little oil, and a stock cube, salt and black pepper and a teaspoonful of mixed herbs. It works equally well with the left-overs from a lamb joint - the bone of which should also be added (but removed before eating, of course). I either put the lot in the slow cooker for about 6 hours or it can be done on the hob for 2 or 3 hours but you need a very heavy-bottomed pan.

To finish I either add more liquid (stock) if it's cooking in a pan and drop in a few suet dumplings, which cook in 20 minutes, or I put it in a casserole dish and make a suet pastry crust and put it in the oven til the pastry's golden brown. It's not the traditional Lancashire Hotpot but it's very tasty and it fills you up. ;)

Eric 23-07-2008 20:26

Thanks for the advice y'all .... I think I'm going to try and make one .... I have the munchies just from reading these posts, and I'm not even stoned (yet).

BERNADETTE 23-07-2008 20:58

Those recipes sound yummy:)

ANNE 23-07-2008 23:22

We always used to use skirt, potato's, onions and carrots. Add water and a little stock, a bit of salt to season. Cook slowly and add a nice thick short crust pastry crust.
Mmmm Delish.

Eric 24-07-2008 00:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by West Ender (Post 610362)
I make my own variation of hotpot - more like meat and potato pie. I use lentils and pearl barley (boiled to softness) as well as potatoes and carrots (diced) and I prefer leeks to onions. I usually use neck of lamb, sliced and browned in a little oil, and a stock cube, salt and black pepper and a teaspoonful of mixed herbs. It works equally well with the left-overs from a lamb joint - the bone of which should also be added (but removed before eating, of course). I either put the lot in the slow cooker for about 6 hours or it can be done on the hob for 2 or 3 hours but you need a very heavy-bottomed pan.

To finish I either add more liquid (stock) if it's cooking in a pan and drop in a few suet dumplings, which cook in 20 minutes, or I put it in a casserole dish and make a suet pastry crust and put it in the oven til the pastry's golden brown. It's not the traditional Lancashire Hotpot but it's very tasty and it fills you up. ;)

Please, a recipe for suet pastry crust .... puhleese.

Ber999T 24-07-2008 07:47

You lot got me hungry reading this Eric enjoy and I will try some of the tips and use a slow cooker to LOL. Will let you know how I get on soon :p :s_aim1::s_aim1:

jaysay 24-07-2008 09:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 610310)

I usualy put mine on at about gas mark 4 for about 5 hours and its just right Margaret, I get hotpot chops from Accy Marked have been getting them from the same place for 20 years now