Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Park Shed Mill (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/park-shed-mill-43736.html)

Retlaw 11-12-2012 14:39

Re: Park Shed Mill

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balbus (Post 1031609)
One of the things I remember about the war was the barrage balloon which was tethered by a thick cable at the side of Park Shed Mill just below Park Street.

The barrage balloon was sited on Broadway where the Arndale is now.
they didn't put barrage balloons so close together, and you need plenty of room to lower the thing, the area all round Park Shed was too built up.

Bob Dobson 11-12-2012 15:28

There were barrage balloons tethered to the top of the Coppice. A little lad (itr might have been Retlaw) saw them and told his dad that he didn't think they'd be much use. because a plane flying into them would just burst the balloon and fly on. His dad replied " We've thowt o'that an' filled 'em wi' concrete"

Retlaw 11-12-2012 19:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 1031633)
There were barrage balloons tethered to the top of the Coppice. A little lad (itr might have been Retlaw) saw them and told his dad that he didn't think they'd be much use. because a plane flying into them would just burst the balloon and fly on. His dad replied " We've thowt o'that an' filled 'em wi' concrete"

Getting a little sarky there Dobbo, any way it were your dad that told me they'd been filled with water, and there were 100's of them.

Gordon Booth 11-12-2012 19:25

I remember a barrage balloon flying from the big field next to the cemetery at the top of Dill Hall Lane. The concrete block it was tethered to was there for many years.
Funnily enough don't remember seeing any others over Accrington.

claytonx 11-12-2012 20:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 1031695)
I remember a barrage balloon flying from the big field next to the cemetery at the top of Dill Hall Lane. The concrete block it was tethered to was there for many years.
Funnily enough don't remember seeing any others over Accrington.

One on Whinney hill. not sure two or one n

Barrie Yates 12-12-2012 16:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by pifco (Post 1030634)
For a time when the weaving finished and Whitewell Dairies started using the mill part of the mill (I think the corner bounded by Park Street and Stanley Street) was used by Whitewell Ices, which was a breakaway from Whitewell Dairies. After a time the ice cream makers moved up to Clayton le Moors and Associated Dairies took over Whitewell Dairies.

I am pretty sure that the shop was in fact Whitewell Dairy shop and sold other products besides ice cream - that was there in '48 when I still lived in Oswald St.
The dairy was still Whitewell in '53 when i worked there during the summer holidays