Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Do you know where this quote's from? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/do-you-know-where-this-quotes-from-44390.html)

garinda 13-12-2008 00:44

Do you know where this quote's from?

I used to work with an old lady in London, and if pushed for time she always used to say 'A quarter to seven, and not a boy in the house washed!'

The time might have been different, but it was definitely a quarter to something, and it might have been bathed, instead of washed.

I asked her where it came from, and she didn't know.

It conjures up pictures of the Workhouse in Oliver Twist, or Dotheboys Hall in Nicholas Nickleby, or it might be from a film.

She might have even just made it up!

I've tried searching for a source, but to no avail.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Mick 13-12-2008 06:10

Re: Do you know where this quote's from?

I have heard this before, my Grandmother used to say it when she was behind in her work and had to get a move on but i have no idea of the origin of the saying

ossykid 13-12-2008 06:43

My granny used to say "Look at the time and not a pot washed" I just assumed she meant she was behind in her work.

steeljack 13-12-2008 07:49

only thing that comes to mind is the old Frank Sinatra/Johnny Mercer song
"One for my Baby "

It's quarter to three,
There's no one in the
place 'cept you and me
So set 'em' up Joe
I got a little story I
think you should know

We're drinking my friend, to the end
Of a brief episode
Make it one for my baby
And one more for the road............;) ;) :D

Neil 13-12-2008 09:37

When you do a search for it now it points to this thread :D

West Ender 13-12-2008 15:05

I sometimes say, "Look at the time. Not a bed made, not a pot washed", if it's getting late and I want to chivvy people along. It's an expression I picked up from various people I've worked with over the years. :D

grannyclaret 13-12-2008 15:39

That was an old Burnley saying too,I think the" and not a child washed "was relating to the very big families in the early part of the 20th century,,,we also said the time of morning "and not a sausage pricked,,,"when behind schedule

wadey 13-12-2008 16:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by West Ender (Post 659741)
I sometimes say, "Look at the time. Not a bed made, not a pot washed", if it's getting late and I want to chivvy people along. It's an expression I picked up from various people I've worked with over the years. :D

My Mum used this expression

Eric 13-12-2008 18:43

I'm lost on the origin of this one .... but I do remember, several years ago, there was this Irish guy who drank at the Toucan in town here, who used to down his first pint of Guiness, look at the bar clock and say: "It's (whatever a clock it was), and not a blow struck for Ireland." ... here I go rambling again:D

Gordie 13-12-2008 22:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 659783)
I'm lost on the origin of this one .... but I do remember, several years ago, there was this Irish guy who drank at the Toucan in town here, who used to down his first pint of Guiness, look at the bar clock and say: "It's (whatever a clock it was), and not a blow struck for Ireland." ... here I go rambling again:D

My guess on this saying is him meaning no blow (work done money) to send back home to Ireland which was the normal rule of the Irish years back.

Margaret Pilkington 14-12-2008 10:18

Like other posters, I do not know the origin of the quotation.....in our family it goes
'It's(state time) and not a pot washed nor a boy black-leaded'....and the alternative version is 'It's (time) and not a pot washed or a sausage pricked'.

jaysay 14-12-2008 11:53

Re: Do you know where this quote from?

I can remember the saying years ago when people came across a snag, mostly at work, after some pondering "This is not making the baby a bonnet" This seems another term coming from years back

West Ender 14-12-2008 15:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 659917)
I can remember the saying years ago when people came across a snag, mostly at work, after some pondering "This is not making the baby a bonnet" This seems another term coming from years back

My mother-in-law, a Yorkshire woman, had a variation on this one. She would say, if you were "lounging around" when you ought to be busy, "This won't buy the baby a new bonnet".

Lilly 14-12-2008 21:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by West Ender (Post 660006)
My mother-in-law, a Yorkshire woman, had a variation on this one. She would say, if you were "lounging around" when you ought to be busy, "This won't buy the baby a new bonnet".

I've heard another variation of this one, if you were lounging around when you should be doing something......'This won't buy the child a matinee coat.'

Benipete 14-12-2008 21:54

At a guess I would say they were all weaving mill sayings.I heard them all from my grandma over the years.