Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   your first house?! (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/your-first-house-46071.html)

carla d 08-03-2009 16:42

your first house?!

ok, so me and my fella have just bought our very first home. now i want to know if im feeling normal, im very excited but yet very nervous, me being a woman im trying to decorate and even plan where the christmas tree is going to go. (at this point i will let you know that the house is newly decorated extremely modern and beautiful but id like put our own little mark on it) but now me and the other half keep arguing and this is before we have moved in, i know its going to be ups and downs now for the rest of our lives or until (god forbid we break up) but i want to know am i on the same level with everyone? is it normal to do this and what are your funniest moments when moving in?? (im secretly hoping that when we do decorate its a bit of a shirley valentine moment when they play fight with the paint, then again wishfull thinking pops into my head)
so please put me at ease and tell me funny stories!!!!:D and even better advice if you have any.

and please dont say .... run for your life.....:D

pipinfort 08-03-2009 16:54

Re: your first house?!

............Run for .....oh sorry you said not to say that....;)

garinda 08-03-2009 17:05

After vewing hundreds of flats I eventually bought my first home in London.

I picked up the keys from the estate agents, after all the monies had been transferred into the various accounts, and walked happily to my new abode, armed with two bags of cleaning stuff, knowing I had all afternoon to clean the place before my London stuff was being delivered, followed by a load more furniture that was coming down from Ossy the next day.

I was so excited.

I got to my flat and turned the key for the first time.

I opened the door and there was the guy who I'd bought the flat off watching the telly, all his furniture in situ, and not a packing crate to be seen.

He'd been forced to sell the marital home after him and his wife had split, so was never that keen on moving, but being my squatter wasn't going to be an option. I sat in the garden whilst he made half arsed attempts to book a van. After an hour or two I was getting more irrate, and informed him I'd be back ar five with a van of my stuff, and two mates, and he'd better be out of there.

I don't know how he managed to pack and move his stuff so quickly, but thankfully he did.

The first thing I did was to have the locks changed...just in case he decided to pop back sometime to watch the telly.

I loved my first flat, and it felt like being on holiday for months, once I had it to myself.

I hope you're as happy in your new home as I was in my little flat.:)

panther 08-03-2009 18:55

One tip, dont play fight with the paint, especially gloss:rolleyes:....it wont come off;)

sausage butty 08-03-2009 19:21

hi im 19 and still living with my parents, how much money will i need to save to buy a house(roughly) and is there a chance in hell that i wil get a mortgage?

i want to move out but dont see renting as an option because i see it as a waste of money please help...

flashy 08-03-2009 19:23

sausage butty are you the child of egg butty, grandchild of jam butty?

ok i'll get mi coat :D

panther 08-03-2009 19:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashy (Post 690424)

LMAO.....nice one karma deserved for cheering me up on that one;), when it lets me!

flashy 08-03-2009 19:26

wonder if he/she has a child called chip???

cashman 08-03-2009 19:29

if yer arguing like hell now, ya "Both" gotta learn to compromise or yer wasting yer life, bear in mind the moving n all it entails is said to be one of the most stressfull events fer a couple. compromise makes life much easier n more enjoyable.;)

sausage butty 08-03-2009 19:29

Quote:

leave my family alone! :eek:

flashy 08-03-2009 19:31

hehee....

sorry Carla, didnt mean to trash yer thread

Benipete 08-03-2009 19:32

Quote:

Only one short of a picnic:D:D.

flashy 08-03-2009 19:34

lol behave now, i'll end up getting banned again for thread trashing ;)

lancsdave 08-03-2009 21:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by sausage butty (Post 690421)
hi im 19 and still living with my parents, how much money will i need to save to buy a house(roughly) and is there a chance in hell that i wil get a mortgage?

i want to move out but dont see renting as an option because i see it as a waste of money please help...

Renting is a good way of having your indepence, and it depends how your life pans out if it turns out to be a waste of money. In terms of flexibility for employment issues it can actually be a better option, especially when you are so young.

garinda 08-03-2009 23:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 690496)
Renting is a good way of having your indepence, and it depends how your life pans out if it turns out to be a waste of money. In terms of flexibility for employment issues it can actually be a better option, especially when you are so young.

As Lancsdave posted, renting is sometimes a wiser option, especially whilst house prices are predicted to fall further in value for at least the next two years.

The general rule of thumb used to be that you should save a 10% deposit of the purchase price, though that fell to 5%, and then they were doling out 100% mortgages, which proved to be a big mistake for all concerned, especially the banks.

Don't forget all the other costs and fees you'll incur when you purchase a property, which you can reckon will be around an extra £2,000 to budget for.

I was only able to buy my first flat in London in the last big slump in the early nineties, so although a recession brings mainly doom and gloom, it does also means house prices fall, allowing people to be priced back into the housing market, if that's their wish.

You go to most of mainland Europe and they think we're all daft. The vast majority of people rent their homes quite happily all their lives, so don't ever feel pressured into doing something. Decide what's best for you.:)