Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   pastry and pies (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/pastry-and-pies-46296.html)

flashy 20-03-2009 14:19

pastry and pies

right...i have made a stew for tea today, everytime i make this stew for tea we always have enough left over for tea the day after.....the day after i always put a crust on it and make it into a pie, now, i usually make the pastry on the day of eating the pie...if i made the pastry today and put it on the top (without cooking the pastry) will it be ok to put in the fridge for tomorrow?

Margaret Pilkington 20-03-2009 14:31

Re: pastry and pies

Personally I would make the pastry today and wrap it in cling film, leave it in the fridge and roll it out and put on your pie tomorrow.

Pastry is always better if it is left to 'rest' before using.

flashy 20-03-2009 14:32

that would be good but i dont have any cling film lol, i dont use it, i have tin foil though :D lol

Margaret Pilkington 20-03-2009 14:40

If you don't have cling film then put it into a dish and put foil over the top of the dish.....or a tupperware type container will do.
I frequently cook pastry the day before we are going to eat it........and then the second baking makes the crust even crisper....just don't let it brown too much on the first cooking.

flashy 20-03-2009 14:47

ok i'll give that a go then, cheers Marg :D

cherokee 20-03-2009 14:53

Whenever I make stews and casseroles/broths etc I always make enough to feed an army. i tend to think i ve still got a house full hahaha..
Anyway what I do is but the plastic tubs from the pound shop and put whats left into individual potions and freeze them . theyre great for lunches to be taken to work by the kids.
I hardly ever throw stuff away

flashy 20-03-2009 14:57

oh i never ever throw it away Mel, it either gets frozen or my brother comes in and helps himself to it lol

grannyclaret 20-03-2009 15:02

Ive made stew too, but I've put dumplings on ,lovely and crispy done in the oven..

cashman 20-03-2009 16:16

we are having Stew tonight Flashy, left oer from last week.:) margarets right about the pastry.:)

jimmi5bellies 20-03-2009 16:21

I cant make pastry to save my life. Apparantly my hands are too warm. Now my mums pastry (in fact anything she makes is to die for).

Eric 20-03-2009 16:22

Hey you guys ... why don't you move this to the over 18s so that I don't have to drool all over my keyboard:eek:

Margaret Pilkington 20-03-2009 17:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmi5bellies (Post 694586)
I cant make pastry to save my life. Apparantly my hands are too warm. Now my mums pastry (in fact anything she makes is to die for).

Don't use your hands then......use a fork......and icy cold liquid to bind the ingredients together......and only just enough to get the ingredients to bind.
Never roll out the pastry more than you need to....it makes it tough(something to do with the starch molecules bursting) cut lumps of dough to the size you think will cover the plate/pie dish/filling.
If you can let the pastry rest for even a short while in the fridge it helps.

Don't put pastry onto warm fillings unless you like soggy pastry.

I have had many many comments on my pastry...shortcrust/flaky/sweet...which I always make from scratch.
(it's easy and cheaper that the mixes)

flashy 20-03-2009 17:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 694588)
Hey you guys ...

that sounds like something from the Goonies Eric ;) you been watching 80s films?

Eric 21-03-2009 08:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashy (Post 694610)
that sounds like something from the Goonies Eric ;) you been watching 80s films?

Nah, never got past Casablanca;):D