Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Pitt Street (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/pitt-street-4667.html)

Doug 23-06-2004 22:57

Pitt Street

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what was once "Pitt Street" is now called - and when did they change it.

Ta

:)

WillowTheWhisp 24-06-2004 07:29

Re: Pitt Street

I think this has now simply been absorbed as part of "Eastgate" - the bit in front of Netto/CBS. I'm not sure Melbourne St offically exists now either. (That was the bit from Stanley St to Burnley Rd.)

Presumably the name was lost when Eastgate was created.

Doug 24-06-2004 08:23

Good Moring Willow,

Yes it was in accy, but I don't know how long ago it changed....could have donkeys year. But it was there in 1901....

WillowTheWhisp 24-06-2004 08:35

oops lol I edited my post but you must have had the original before you when you replied. I found it on an old map and realised it was a continuation of Melbourne Street - joining up with Abbey Street. It is part of what is now known as Eastgate.

Doug 24-06-2004 08:39

Thanks Willow....

WillowTheWhisp 24-06-2004 08:43

You're welcome :)

Personally I think it's a great shame we lost Elephant Street. There was some urban myth/local folk tale attached to that about a circus elephant (died there?). People didn't believe me that there ever was an Elephant Street until I showed it to them on an old census.

Darby 24-06-2004 08:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
You're welcome :)

Personally I think it's a great shame we lost Elephant Street. There was some urban myth/local folk tale attached to that about a circus elephant (died there?). People didn't believe me that there ever was an Elephant Street until I showed it to them on an old census.

Was it a Trunk Road??

WillowTheWhisp 24-06-2004 09:01

:lol:

I think it was round the back of New Jerusalem church somewhere but I'm not sure exactly where. I believe it was there in the 60s so not sure what happened to it.

Tealeaf 24-06-2004 09:15

There are some piccy's of Elephant street in the Accy Photo's section, but you'll have to search far back..they went on about Oct/Nov last year, I think.

WillowTheWhisp 24-06-2004 09:26

Thanks Tealeaf. I'll go and have a dig.

WillowTheWhisp 24-06-2004 09:47

Found it! (Elephant Street I mean) Small Street to be named after such a large animal. It seems that it has now been incorporated in the development at the bottom of Plantation Street. I was roughly in the right area anyway.

Atarah 24-06-2004 15:06

Elephant Street and Pitt Street

2 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple of photos showing Elephant Street, one taken looking up from Plantation Street and one taken looking down from, believe, Birtwistle Street (this street is still there. If you were about to call into the garage on Abbey Street, near the Swan Pub,
(coming from town centre) as you indicate you will see an electricity "box" which seems to completely block your view when trying to get in and out of the garage. This is the beginning of Birtwistle Street, leading up to Cobham Road.
It is supposed to be perfectly true about the street being named after an elephant. One of the Victorian travelling circuses was in town, when an elephant named "Chimey" died and so they named the street after it. This is also the street where there was a pub called The Welcome Inn, where George Formby's wife lived as a girl with her parents.

Atarah 24-06-2004 15:07

Re: Elephant Street and Pitt Street

Forgot to say, the photos are compliments of Owd Bert and date from 1966

Tealeaf 24-06-2004 15:21

Funny, that is'nt it.............1966 - the year we won the world cup and I notice that Morris Oxford car is'nt flying the English Flag. Of course, we did'nt have to in those days...

But as regards Pitt street....any idea's on why it's so called? (as per Doug's original question)

WillowTheWhisp 24-06-2004 15:34

Thanks Atarah. It looks like Elephant Street was in the region of this red star. The part of Eastgate between the two arrows was Pitt St.

Now how do I attach a photo in here?