Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Fitting an outside tap..... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/fitting-an-outside-tap-46735.html)

K.S.H 06-04-2009 22:51

Re: Fitting an outside tap.....

if its a proper kit they are built into the tap
Posted via Mobile Device

MUMMIBOO 07-04-2009 07:24

You also need a very large masonery drill bit to drill a hole through the brick expensive for something you will probably only use once! we bought a tap kit and i had it about 2 years before daddiboo (attempted to fit it!) it only dribbles water at a speed i could spit at and it now leaks too! i wouldnt bother trying to do it yourself i would get someone to fit it next time!

emzy 07-04-2009 07:28

Tools arnt an issue, I have my Dad :D (Not calling him a tool, wouldnt dare, but he always seems to have any tools that I need)

jaysay 07-04-2009 10:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benipete (Post 701458)
Ballcocks?:D

I have two of them Beni:D

Benipete 07-04-2009 15:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 701577)
I have two of them Beni:D

Fitting a tap takes a few minutes,connecting to water supply is the hard bit.:hehetable

derekgas 07-04-2009 21:14

These diy kits are ok, but a couple of things you should watch for, the connecting pipe is only rubber (goes through the wall) and could easily chafe and break with vibration if positioned wrongly, and the tap which is designed to fit onto the pipework and then puncture a hole into the cold water supply pipe, could cut a complete piece of copper out of the supply pipe, given the pressure of cold water supply, I would not want a small piece of copper loose in the water supply, it could finish up in all manner of places. The large drill you need to get through the wall is 16mm, and this is only if you do not want to put a protective sleeve on the pipe.

mattylad 08-04-2009 15:49

ISTR that the double check valve taps are not to current regs & that the non return valve needs to be inside the property, whereas the tap is outside.

emzy 08-04-2009 16:33

Am now thinking about an attatchment for my tap on my kitchen sink :rolleyes:

Neil 08-04-2009 16:45

Are you even allowed to alter the plumbing in your house?

Benipete 08-04-2009 16:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by emzy (Post 702177)
Am now thinking about an attatchment for my tap on my kitchen sink :rolleyes:

Good idea try the pound shops.:)

emzy 08-04-2009 17:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 702187)
Are you even allowed to alter the plumbing in your house?

With consent, yes

I can do pretty much anything so long as I have their authorisation, but on the other side, thy can request that anything I have done in the house (be it fitting a shower, new fire etc) be returned to its original state (when I moved in)

Retlaw 08-04-2009 22:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benipete (Post 702193)
Good idea try the pound shops.:)

They have some in Wilkinsons, but watch it, I noticed some of one type, the sealing washers had fallen out, try using one without the washer, and you will have a new shower installed.

Retlaw.

mattylad 09-04-2009 17:42

I have looked into it & the reason you cannot legally use the bib taps (the ones with the valves in) is because they get subjected to freezing weather & are not reliable then, so regs require a separate check valve inside the property.

The little things we learn eh, now if only they made the water regs freely available then lots of us that DIY would be able to do it to the appropriate regs.

Ditto for BS7671 & electrics.

When attaching a quick fitting that screw down into your pipe, it is not a good idea to put it on a main supply pipe to other things like upstairs showers etc.
What your doing is pitting an 8mm diameter shaft into the 15mm pipe, so that can also restrict flow to other stuff depending how far it goes in. put it into an offshoot from the main pipe, I.E. the one to the kitchen tap etc.

Neil 09-04-2009 18:02

I don't have any type of check valve on either of my taps, one outside and one in the garage.

When did the regulation come into force and is it retrospective?

derekgas 09-04-2009 18:35

Yours would just be 'not to current standards' Neil, and I'm fairly confident you know what that means, if you are fitting a double check valve in your own home, you can put it where you like, the idea is to stop water siphoning back out of hose pipes etc, into the drinking water.
As for not interrupting a mains flow to an outlet, that is what you would be doing if you put one of the screw in contraptions before the tap, in fact, put it anywhere in the cold water pipe, and it will restrict the flow to something, it is unnavoidable.