Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Fitting an outside tap..... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/fitting-an-outside-tap-46735.html)

emzy 06-04-2009 09:59

Fitting an outside tap.....

I am thinking about getting one of those kits so that I can have a tap outside (so i can hose the garden down etc - when I get a hose pipe aswell lol)

what I wanted to know was:

How easy are they to fit?

What tools are needed to fit one?

Mick 06-04-2009 10:06

Re: Fitting an outside tap.....

The only Tool you need is a Plumber

emzy 06-04-2009 10:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick (Post 701118)

Thats a bit pants then lol, thought them kits you could do yourself :( Means its gonna end up costing a lot more than just a kit :(

K.S.H 06-04-2009 10:17

Yeah there easy to fit - if its the type where you put it over the pipe and tighten 2 screws, theres a bit the punctures the pipe as you do this and its sealed with a rubber washer at the same time, no mess, no drips or anything.
BUT - the hole that has been created does eventually clog up and reduces flow, mine did, took a few year though and I had to take it off to clear it, it's corrosion with the metal and copper touching each other. I eventually took mine off and put a proper T-piece in.

emzy 06-04-2009 10:18

so all in all, it aint really as easy as i thought :rolleyes:

Would need a hole putting through from the plumbing to the outside also

(oh the joys of being me and really having no idea lol)

K.S.H 06-04-2009 10:20

Yeah, and a box round the tap so it doesn't freeze up in winter

emzy 06-04-2009 10:22

Oh well..........that's a plan thats gonna wait a while then lol

K.S.H 06-04-2009 10:24

LOL, get an adaptor to fit your tap and put the pipe through the window or door when you want to use it :D

flashy 06-04-2009 12:09

i asked this last year, i have had a tap kit for two years and i still havent got it fitted

pipinfort 06-04-2009 15:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick (Post 701118)

Correct, to do it properly is not as easy as it looks.........i had a plumber mate do it...

cherokee 06-04-2009 15:36

Emma Jim will have a look tomorrow when we come with the child, he may be able to do it for you , hes done one for us. hes just goin through what you will need hun

emzy 06-04-2009 15:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherokee (Post 701253)
Emma Jim will have a look tomorrow when we come with the child, he may be able to do it for you , hes done one for us. hes just goin through what you will need hun

Thats lovely thank you :D

mattylad 06-04-2009 17:47

And you are required to have a non return valve fitted inside the house so that nothing can get back into the water supply. :D

Benipete 06-04-2009 22:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattylad (Post 701310)
And you are required to have a non return valve fitted inside the house so that nothing can get back into the water supply. :D

Ballcocks?:D

Neil 06-04-2009 22:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattylad (Post 701310)

You can get taps with the double check fitted.

K.S.H 06-04-2009 22:51

if its a proper kit they are built into the tap
Posted via Mobile Device

MUMMIBOO 07-04-2009 07:24

You also need a very large masonery drill bit to drill a hole through the brick expensive for something you will probably only use once! we bought a tap kit and i had it about 2 years before daddiboo (attempted to fit it!) it only dribbles water at a speed i could spit at and it now leaks too! i wouldnt bother trying to do it yourself i would get someone to fit it next time!

emzy 07-04-2009 07:28

Tools arnt an issue, I have my Dad :D (Not calling him a tool, wouldnt dare, but he always seems to have any tools that I need)

jaysay 07-04-2009 10:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benipete (Post 701458)
Ballcocks?:D

I have two of them Beni:D

Benipete 07-04-2009 15:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 701577)
I have two of them Beni:D

Fitting a tap takes a few minutes,connecting to water supply is the hard bit.:hehetable

derekgas 07-04-2009 21:14

These diy kits are ok, but a couple of things you should watch for, the connecting pipe is only rubber (goes through the wall) and could easily chafe and break with vibration if positioned wrongly, and the tap which is designed to fit onto the pipework and then puncture a hole into the cold water supply pipe, could cut a complete piece of copper out of the supply pipe, given the pressure of cold water supply, I would not want a small piece of copper loose in the water supply, it could finish up in all manner of places. The large drill you need to get through the wall is 16mm, and this is only if you do not want to put a protective sleeve on the pipe.

mattylad 08-04-2009 15:49

ISTR that the double check valve taps are not to current regs & that the non return valve needs to be inside the property, whereas the tap is outside.

emzy 08-04-2009 16:33

Am now thinking about an attatchment for my tap on my kitchen sink :rolleyes:

Neil 08-04-2009 16:45

Are you even allowed to alter the plumbing in your house?

Benipete 08-04-2009 16:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by emzy (Post 702177)
Am now thinking about an attatchment for my tap on my kitchen sink :rolleyes:

Good idea try the pound shops.:)

emzy 08-04-2009 17:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 702187)
Are you even allowed to alter the plumbing in your house?

With consent, yes

I can do pretty much anything so long as I have their authorisation, but on the other side, thy can request that anything I have done in the house (be it fitting a shower, new fire etc) be returned to its original state (when I moved in)

Retlaw 08-04-2009 22:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benipete (Post 702193)
Good idea try the pound shops.:)

They have some in Wilkinsons, but watch it, I noticed some of one type, the sealing washers had fallen out, try using one without the washer, and you will have a new shower installed.

Retlaw.

mattylad 09-04-2009 17:42

I have looked into it & the reason you cannot legally use the bib taps (the ones with the valves in) is because they get subjected to freezing weather & are not reliable then, so regs require a separate check valve inside the property.

The little things we learn eh, now if only they made the water regs freely available then lots of us that DIY would be able to do it to the appropriate regs.

Ditto for BS7671 & electrics.

When attaching a quick fitting that screw down into your pipe, it is not a good idea to put it on a main supply pipe to other things like upstairs showers etc.
What your doing is pitting an 8mm diameter shaft into the 15mm pipe, so that can also restrict flow to other stuff depending how far it goes in. put it into an offshoot from the main pipe, I.E. the one to the kitchen tap etc.

Neil 09-04-2009 18:02

I don't have any type of check valve on either of my taps, one outside and one in the garage.

When did the regulation come into force and is it retrospective?

derekgas 09-04-2009 18:35

Yours would just be 'not to current standards' Neil, and I'm fairly confident you know what that means, if you are fitting a double check valve in your own home, you can put it where you like, the idea is to stop water siphoning back out of hose pipes etc, into the drinking water.
As for not interrupting a mains flow to an outlet, that is what you would be doing if you put one of the screw in contraptions before the tap, in fact, put it anywhere in the cold water pipe, and it will restrict the flow to something, it is unnavoidable.

Benipete 09-04-2009 18:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 702371)
They have some in Wilkinsons, but watch it, I noticed some of one type, the sealing washers had fallen out, try using one without the washer, and you will have a new shower installed.

Retlaw.

If all else fails,buy a flaming watering can.:flower::flower:

Neil 09-04-2009 19:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by derekgas (Post 702708)
Yours would just be 'not to current standards' Neil, and I'm fairly confident you know what that means

But does it have to be to current standards? That is why I asked if it was a retrospective regulation. My back boiler does not meet current standards for efficiency but I don't have to change it.

derekgas 09-04-2009 21:30

No you dont have to change it, unless you change the tap, or the pipework, same with the back boiler, you can repair it, but cant replace it unless you meet the strict criteria for not having a condensing boiler, you can still buy a back boiler unit though!!

Neil 09-04-2009 21:59

Out of interest what is the criteria for not having one of those expensive condensing things that they lie about the efficiency of? :D:D

derekgas 09-04-2009 22:05

They dont lie about the efficiency, I have a gas analiser, and can prove that some of these are up to 98% efficient in the winter.. sedbuk is a seasonal efficiency, not a constant... The criteria, in short, is that the savings made would be far less than the costs of installation, or if a condensing flue or drain cannot possibly be installed, this has to be applied for with the council, and very few are successful, if you live 20 storeys up, with no outside wall, you might just get away with it! :rolleyes:

Neil 09-04-2009 22:16

I might buy myself a spare one then BAXI BERMUDA) :D:D:D

derekgas 10-04-2009 07:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 702797)
I might buy myself a spare one then BAXI BERMUDA) :D:D:D

Dont buy the one in the link though, it is one of the older ones (401), there wont be many parts available for that, but plenty for the 502, 57/4 and the likes. ;)

Neil 10-04-2009 08:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by derekgas (Post 702938)
Dont buy the one in the link though, it is one of the older ones (401), there wont be many parts available for that, but plenty for the 502, 57/4 and the likes. ;)

LOL, I was surprised how many parts were for sale for them on ebay.

Anyway it depends who you know that work at Baxi, and I know quite a few :D

derekgas 10-04-2009 08:08

Well, as this thread has wandered off the edge of the planet, might as well carry on (sorry Emzy), I dont know anyone at Baxi, Valor, Potterton, Main, or whoever actually owns it now, I do know that people who work there, dont used thier products, especially if they have to pay! :rolleyes:, used to be a lot of free stuff about, but I think somebody remembered to close the back door!