Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Obesity and diet pills (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/obesity-and-diet-pills-46749.html)

planetsusie 07-04-2009 06:10

Obesity and diet pills

I Went to a medical meeting/lectures about obesity last night.
The overweight are really going to be targeted now. Harsh guidelines and directives are in place ready to release and batter the fat population with.
Already we see some of these people being ‘shamed’ in public for their gluttony (?)
(The smokers have been done to death now… Phew! maybe we should get the obese back on the fags…Hahaha)

A large proportion of the time was given over to discussing ‘diet pills’, i.e. Reductil and Xenicol.

Xenicol stops absorption of fats and is now available to buy at the chemist counter (albeit a half dose)
What are your thoughts around this? Have you tried it? Would you try it?

emzy 07-04-2009 06:20

Re: Obesity and diet pills

I have been on Reductil??? I think it was anyway, is that the appetite supressant? It worked for a short while but after a couple of month seemed to stop working (had the nurse baffled anyway) Then realised it wasnt an appetite supressant that I needed as I dont really have an appetite. I was then referred to a dietician but havnt been for some time (which reminds me, i must see whats going on, havnt had an appointment since october last year) Reductil did seem to work in reducing my appetite but this meant that i was hardly eating at all. I know someone whos on the other one and it seems to be working quite well for her.

Im not one for taking medication anyway, if I get ill I generally let my body fight it off naturally etc

I think more of what is needed is people seeing a dietician and sorting out their fiet rather than sticking them on pills and if they do go for that option then they need to fully understand what they need to do in order to help the tablet work, they dont really work on their own, you still have to diet with them

MargaretR 07-04-2009 09:31

Whilst your patients are taking Xenicol, will you be monitoring their levels of the fat soluable vitamins A D E K, and prescribing supplements to attempt to combat the reduced absorption of these essential nutrients?
Are you warning them of the greasy orange diarrhoea and foul flatulence they are likely to have?
http://www.askapatient.com/viewratin...6&name=XENICAL

planetsusie 07-04-2009 10:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 701564)
Whilst your patients are taking Xenicol, will you be monitoring their levels of the fat soluable vitamins A D E K, and prescribing supplements to attempt to combat the reduced absorption of these essential nutrients?
Are you warning them of the greasy orange diarrhoea and foul flatulence they are likely to have?
XENICAL: Side effects, ratings, and patient comments

perhaps you would like to read the original post again Margaret.
It refers to xenicol being bought over the counter. It's not about the level of care I deliver to my patients personally.

jaysay 07-04-2009 10:12

There is only one way to lose weight and that's stop shoveling stodge down your neck, okay there are a small group of people that have weight problems because of medical condition, but if people keep chomping on takeaways, biscuits, toffees, chocolate and copious amounts of alcohol, is it any wonder that waist lines are growing faster than the national debt, well maybe not that fast on refection:rolleyes:

MargaretR 07-04-2009 10:15

If people are foolish enough to dose themselves with such junk medicine, I suggest we warn them of the consequences - that doesn't seem to happen, even when it is medically prescribed.
I hope that your forthcoming 'drive against obesity' will not include it, but I suspect it will.
Many years ago I took Zyban to try to quit smoking and had itchy lumps all over my body.
Prescription drugs are a life saver for a few, but a health hazard to many.

planetsusie 07-04-2009 10:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 701578)
If people are foolish enough to dose themselves with such junk medicine, I suggest we warn them of the consequences - that doesn't seem to happen, even when it is medically prescribed.
I hope that your forthcoming 'drive against obesity' will not include it, but I suspect it will.
Many years ago I took Zyban to try to quit smoking and had itchy lumps all over my body.
Prescription drugs are a life saver for a few, but a health hazard to many.

Its not 'my' personal 'drive against obesity' Margaret.

However, I learned lot from the learned people who spoke and answered questions last night and it Has altered my thoughts around this.

MargaretR 07-04-2009 10:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by planetsusie (Post 701580)

Its not 'my' personal 'drive against obesity' Margaret.

However, I learned lot from the learned people who spoke and answered questions last night and it Has altered my thoughts around this.

If you are told to recommend it - will you?

Margaret Pilkington 07-04-2009 11:04

No, I personally would not take diet pills.
I have gained some weight since reaching the menopause,though I can't say that I eat more food.....or eat less healthy food(I get my five portions of fruit and veg every day)....I am relatively active...walking more than 10,000 steps per day.....7.5,000 of them on the walking school bus....so other than these measures I don't know what I could be doing.

Margaret Pilkington 07-04-2009 11:07

I heard on the radio the people over 40 will be invited to the GP's to determine whether they were obese and to have 'plans' made to target the problem.

I won't be going to this invite either.

planetsusie 07-04-2009 11:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 701583)
If you are told to recommend it - will you?

If I am told???
Margaret. I am responsible for all my actions both on a personal and in a professional capacity
Therefor I would give them balanced information allowing them to make an informed decision as a grown up.

My beliefs? I do believe there are cases where these meds are useful..Thats around risk assessment (and the associated risks of obesity are devastating)
What people do about monitoring when they purchase for themself isn't my call. Thats about their personal responsilibility. I'm not the babysitter.

Under my care, all professional practitioners have monitoring standards...er....of course.

planetsusie 07-04-2009 11:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 701596)
I heard on the radio the people over 40 will be invited to the GP's to determine whether they were obese and to have 'plans' made to target the problem.

I won't be going to this invite either.

And thats because you have choices Margaret and can make informed decisions. Great!
I'm kind of interested in how this drug will sell 'over the counter'

emzy 07-04-2009 12:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 701564)
XENICAL: Side effects, ratings, and patient comments

My nurse advised me of this which is why I chose not to try the other tablets :D I have since lost weight on my own. Am far from lazy (i cant be with these 2) and dont eat much at all but still struggle losing excess weight. Have tried numerous different over the counter weight loss tablets over many many years (since being mid / late teens) but none of them really seem to work for me. Have always seemed to lose a bit at first then stop.

MargaretR 07-04-2009 12:33

Another example of a 'half dose' drug which is available over the counter is Zantac (generic Ranitidine). When I was prescribed it for acid reflux, I did my cautious websearch (as I do ;)), and found no reports whatsoever of any side effects, so I happily used it for several years.
It is only now, when I have CFS caused by vitamin B12 deficiency, that I learn that the limitation of stomach acid (Losec does this too) restricts the absorption of vitaminB12 from food.
Nowadays I regard all pharmacutical drugs, prescription or otherwise, with extreme caution.

accyman 07-04-2009 13:26

lol most people gain weight when tehy stop smoking so no sooner are people victimised for smoking they then find themselves targeted for been overweight when they comply to not smoking :rolleyes:

if you are geneticly big you will in most cases return to been big , i know peopel who have spent years on diets and although they loose weight teh second teh diet slips it comes back, drugs are a temporary fix for these people and in the long run dont work

however

there are those that indulge too much and the only problem is with their feet becasue they cant keep them out of the fridge or mcdonalds

we have become too much like america where fast food and microwave meals rule supreme , luckily i learned how to cook a decent meal which is more than can be said for quite a lot of people these days