Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Hi Everyone - can I pick your brains? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/hi-everyone-can-i-pick-your-brains-46833.html)

The Local Gazette 10-04-2009 19:16

Hi Everyone - can I pick your brains?

Hi Everyone,

I was told by a friend that this was a great place to get some straight answers and great opinions so I thought I'd give it a whirl.

I'm thinking of setting up a new business in Accy and wondered what you good folk think of the idea. No I'm not trying to promote the business or sell you anything, I just want your opinions.

The idea is to start a local community magazine. Now I know that it has been done before, but I'm thinking of something with a little more content than just mainly adverts. It would be full colour and be backed up with a website with even more content. It would be free and delivered to homes in the area as well as perhaps available from various locations such as libraries etc.

I just thought that with the Observer leaving town and getting more and more Manc orientated, maybe there is room for this.

What I would like to know is do you think it would take off and what sort of things would you like to see in it. What would make you want to keep it and read it?

Any opinions welcome and thanks for being here.

Matilda.

mallard 10-04-2009 19:31

Re: Hi Everyone - can I pick your brains?

give it a try

The Local Gazette 10-04-2009 19:41

Thanks Mallard.

Wynonie Harris 10-04-2009 20:28

Have a word with my old mate, Tunny (see members' list) - ex-Accy lad who now runs a community website in Staines.

See it LOCAL Staines, Egham, Chertsey, Sunbury, Sh

Neil 10-04-2009 20:50

I take it the magazine would be funded by advertising. What do you expect the split to be between news and adverts.

I have not seen a free newspaper around here for years and they are cheaper to print than a magazine.

I do wish you well as I really would like to see printed news become more popular again.

cashman 10-04-2009 22:16

would be great if it could take off, think yer biggest problem would be delivery,the local free paper "Citizen" had trouble with dead heads dumping em,in other words wanting money fer nowt.;) sincerely hope ya suceed with this venture.:)

emamum 10-04-2009 22:24

dont we have a member that has a magasine...... sure i remember pam or tosh saying something about it being rubbish and the 'editor' coming and saying it wasnt..... but i have slept since then so i could be wrong..

The Local Gazette 11-04-2009 10:01

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the replies so far. Very encouraging. To answer some of the questions:-

Yes it would be paid for by advertising (hopefully!) That way it would remain free to the community. It will be coupled with a local community website as well so that could also carry affiliate ads to raise revenue as well. I'd like to see the split between ads and news at about 50/50. The more ads we get, the more news and views etc we can include.

Yes I think there was a mag produced. I think it was called the BB5 Guide. Never actually saw a copy myself and I hope I'm not offending anyone here but I believe it wasn't that good.

What I really would like to know is what would you all like to see in such a magazine? Obviously we could have a section on local facilities eg council contact numbers, health centres etc. All suggestions welcome and thanks again for the encouraging comments.

Matilda.

Taggy 11-04-2009 10:14

I think the ideas a good one, however i think you'll have great problems around here getting people to pay for advertising!!

Best Regards - Taggy

jaysay 11-04-2009 10:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taggy (Post 703305)
I think the ideas a good one, however i think you'll have great problems around here getting people to pay for advertising!!

Best Regards - Taggy

Think your right Taggy, that's one of the reasons given for the Observer closing the office in Accrington, the onset of the Internet has taken the steam out of local publications. Don't know if the Citizen is still going, but I haven't seen one around here for about 5 years

AccyLass 11-04-2009 11:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Local Gazette (Post 703300)
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the replies so far. Very encouraging. To answer some of the questions:-

Yes it would be paid for by advertising (hopefully!) That way it would remain free to the community. It will be coupled with a local community website as well so that could also carry affiliate ads to raise revenue as well. I'd like to see the split between ads and news at about 50/50. The more ads we get, the more news and views etc we can include.

Yes I think there was a mag produced. I think it was called the BB5 Guide. Never actually saw a copy myself and I hope I'm not offending anyone here but I believe it wasn't that good.

What I really would like to know is what would you all like to see in such a magazine? Obviously we could have a section on local facilities eg council contact numbers, health centres etc. All suggestions welcome and thanks again for the encouraging comments.

Matilda.

I think info on volunteer services would be good to have in the magazine
There are a lot more services available than people know about

Short courses and taster sessions for those out of work.... or top up training sessions for those in work

Although a lot are available local they are not easy to find out where and when

shillelagh 11-04-2009 13:52

The citizen is still going ..... i get the hyndburn citizen delivered every week ...mind you its more about blackburn than hyndburn!!

even though im in rossendale!!!!:D:D:D

Busman747 11-04-2009 15:52

I have recently been given a few back-dated copies of "The Herald" It is a glossy coloured magazine distributed free to 30,000 homes in Padiham, Gt. Harwood and Clitheroe and I admit to being very impressed despite a huge amount of advertising:eek:

In the Oct 08 edition which is the one I have to hand there are 26 pages with input from Nigel Evans MP, A fishy story from Janet Stansfield and a regular, the Grumpy Git:D It also includes informative clips of information ranging from Luciano Pavarotti to Sophie who tells of living with her illness Cystic Fibrosis.

Most of the jokes are lifted from the internet but all in all, is a very good read from cover to cover. You can view the front and back covers (All adverts)
HERE

If your magazine can come close to what the Herald has achieved, I for one would welcome it through my letterbox! Good luck

Margaret Pilkington 11-04-2009 15:57

We get the Herald delivered and you are right Busman, it is a good read.

Matilda, these are just some ideas that you might also like to consider.

I think that it would be good to involve children from local schools...perhaps as part of and English project...to write articles about their environment/school/issues of the day.
I also think a short section on local history would be interesting too.

shillelagh 11-04-2009 17:19

If you want to see a copy of the BB5 guide i have an old copy that i've just found.