Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Accrington Market Car Boot (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/accrington-market-car-boot-46835.html)

forceten 10-04-2009 21:24

Accrington Market Car Boot

I saw this advertised in the Telegraph tonight.

I'm looking to do a car boot, mainly to sell alot of my Mums stuff from her house, and also things that my sister and I have no use for anymore.

Is this car boot mainly for new goods, or is it a carboot? How much does it cost for a pitch? I'm looking at this venue as it is under cover, but I don't want to go with "second hand goods" and then find out that other people are selling brand new goods

I'm hoping to go and have a look at this weeks on Sunday.

Can anybody tell me where it is please? I thought it might be in the centre of Accy, but the web address says ossie mills so it's confused me a little bit.

Any advice apreciated

BERNADETTE 10-04-2009 21:40

Re: Accrington Market Car Boot

There is a car boot type thing on at the market, I think it is Thursday and Sunday. There is both new and second hand stuff sold on there. No idea as to cost but am sure if you ask on Sunday one of the stall holders will tell you.

forceten 10-04-2009 21:43

Thank you. Am I going into Accy centre to find the market then? Sorry, I don't know where the market is in Accy

lancsdave 10-04-2009 22:19

Both Thursdays and Sundays are mixed markets, old and new. The cost is currently about £11.50 per stall each day, and goes up to £12 after the 21st April.

cashman 10-04-2009 22:19

yep dead in centre if yer on a bus the bus stations there. if car loads places to park free nearby.:)

lancsdave 10-04-2009 22:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 703198)
if car loads places to park free nearby.:)

Beware though, if it's being advertised as a car boot sale, the one thing you can't do is leave your car in the market loading area :D

forceten 10-04-2009 22:33

Ok, I think I am going to go and have to have nosey on sunday then :)

accyman 10-04-2009 23:15

its dead you would have better luck at the clitheroe carboot , you would have to ring clitheroe cattlemarket for details and what days they are holding teh car boot sales

a much bigger and better venue , if you have plenty of stuff to shift i would say go clitheroe market

forceten 11-04-2009 09:24

Thanks for that Accyman. I have loads to shift...........mainly from my mums house. I'll have a nosey at Clitheroe, but I think they do one at Blackburn College on Bank Holidays as well, so I'll have a nosey at that too, and aim for the May Bank Holiday :)

flashy 11-04-2009 09:30

Gayle, Blackburn market are now doing a car boot on market days so i believe....have a wander down there and ask how much they are charging

forceten 11-04-2009 11:06

Yes, think they are on a Sunday Flashy, will check that one out too :)

flashy 11-04-2009 13:47

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO they have them on market days too now, it started last week....ON the market, not the one on the car park

mattylad 11-04-2009 16:54

There is also the Rossendale car boot Just off the Bypass & the one at the Rhythm station Rawtenstall (Newhall hey road) on Sunday.

lancsdave 11-04-2009 19:01

There must be hundreds of other car boot sales around the country where we could get people not to go to Accrington ;)

PS It was quite busy in Accrington last Sunday and it didn't smell of cow dung :D

Royboy39 11-04-2009 20:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 703481)
There must be hundreds of other car boot sales around the country where we could get people not to go to Accrington ;)

PS It was quite busy in Accrington last Sunday and it didn't smell of cow dung :D

The cow dung market as you call it shoot thieves on sight.
Seriously if you want to promote Accy Market, either PM the lady with usefull info or put it on here.
Stall sizes, availabilty, cost on the day, how to go about getting a stall would be a start.

I know that you would have done your homework, you started a business but from what I can gather from friends and former traders all Markets in the UK need all the help they can get? :)

lancsdave 11-04-2009 20:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royboy39 (Post 703503)
The cow dung market as you call it shoot thieves on sight.

Seriously if you want to promote Accy Market, either PM the lady with usefull info or put it on here.
Stall sizes, availabilty, cost on the day, how to go about getting a stall would be a start.

I didn't call it the cow dung market, I wasn't actually knocking it, it's a popular market, but as the indoor section is held in the cattle market the smell can be fairly agricultural, or at least it was last time I went a few years ago If anyone hasn't been before then it can be a bit of an eye opener, or should that be eye waterer :)

No need to pm the lady, I posted the charges earlier on the thread. You can go to the market office during the week and pre-book, or turn up on the morning, just the same as any other car boot sale.

Never heard of anyone being shot at Clitheroe sunday market ?

Royboy39 11-04-2009 20:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 703507)
I didn't call it the cow dung market, I wasn't actually knocking it, it's a popular market, but as the indoor section is held in the cattle market the smell can be fairly agricultural, or at least it was last time I went a few years ago If anyone hasn't been before then it can be a bit of an eye opener, or should that be eye waterer :)

No need to pm the lady, I posted the charges earlier on the thread. You can go to the market office during the week and pre-book, or turn up on the morning, just the same as any other car boot sale.

Never heard of anyone being shot at Clitheroe sunday market ?

They have adeqate security to keep the thieves out. Accrington have a clerk who collects money and that's all.
Having been brought up in the Farming community, the smell of new mown hay and Cow Sh1t keep your tubes clear.
I would advise the lady to try Clitheroe but it would have to be outside. You are charged footage but can go back quite a few feet, something you can't do at Accrington without penalty, to display furniture or bulky items, this would be the best bet.

mattylad 11-04-2009 23:09

The problem I used to find with clitheroe was that there were too many traders selling new stuff, too little time between booters going in to set up & the public & too many old asian women wanting to barter you to 20p for something worth several pounds (the offers got quite insulting). You had to que up at 5am if you wanted to get in with time to setup or to a good spot.

The pens were quite good though, the marked your area well.

Have they got security now at Clitheroe? not something I have seen there before.

Royboy39 12-04-2009 14:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattylad (Post 703566)
The problem I used to find with clitheroe was that there were too many traders selling new stuff, too little time between booters going in to set up & the public & too many old asian women wanting to barter you to 20p for something worth several pounds (the offers got quite insulting). You had to que up at 5am if you wanted to get in with time to setup or to a good spot.

The pens were quite good though, the marked your area well.

Have they got security now at Clitheroe? not something I have seen there before.

Pens not a good idea with bulky items.
Try getting in without paying.....you will see the security coming out of the woodwork. :)

derekgas 12-04-2009 20:22

Clitheroe market is not a good idea if you havnt done car boots before, in my opinion, and at least at accrington, you wont have the theiving antique dealers helping you unpack so they can get the best stuff out, and make the rest of the day hard work, it isnt cheap up there for stalls, or to get in as a punter, and if it isnt sunny, and you are later than 6am, you are gonna get wet!

Royboy39 12-04-2009 20:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by derekgas (Post 703773)
Clitheroe market is not a good idea if you havnt done car boots before, in my opinion, and at least at accrington, you wont have the theiving antique dealers helping you unpack so they can get the best stuff out, and make the rest of the day hard work, it isnt cheap up there for stalls, or to get in as a punter, and if it isnt sunny, and you are later than 6am, you are gonna get wet!

Was it Frank Randall who said "You've got a tongue in you head haven't you" Tell the dealers to 'Sod off' and come to back when you've unpacked.

On a casual basis, if the forecast indicates rain........dont do it.

derekgas 12-04-2009 20:47

That was my point Royboy, If you are 'new' to car booting, and especially Clitheroe car boot, then you wouldnt know what was happening! And it forcast rain today, I have the sunburn to prove that it didnt rain, not in Blackpool anyway! Forceten came to get a bit of advice from people who have been on the local carboots, not to listen to you trying to 'educate' folk! But getting it wrong again! :rolleyes: :p

Royboy39 12-04-2009 20:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by derekgas (Post 703785)
That was my point Royboy, If you are 'new' to car booting, and especially Clitheroe car boot, then you wouldnt know what was happening! And it forcast rain today, I have the sunburn to prove that it didnt rain, not in Blackpool anyway! Forceten came to get a bit of advice from people who have been on the local carboots, not to listen to you trying to 'educate' folk! But getting it wrong again! :rolleyes: :p

I think you should stick to Gas.
I was weaned at Accringtom Market from 1955 and later round about 2000 and very nearly had to go bankrupt.
Clitheroe has a footfall that Accrington will ever have until the management realise that I can't see a light at the end of the tunnel for Accrington Market.
I't is obviose from your comments that you have never been a market trader.
I have done all the car boots in the area, having only been in Spain for the last two years..............I don't know how to fit a gasket....but I think I am in a better position to offer advice to someone who is starting up that someone who is just guessing.

derekgas 12-04-2009 21:06

No guessing here royboy, with the exception of Accrington market, I have done many car boots and markets, including many years charity working, and I still say Clitheroe is not the place for a newcomer, unless you take some experienced person with you, I also still stand by my opinion that the advice you gave was near useless, so please feel free to climb down off your high horse!

Royboy39 12-04-2009 21:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by derekgas (Post 703791)
No guessing here royboy, with the exception of Accrington market, I have done many car boots and markets, including many years charity working, and I still say Clitheroe is not the place for a newcomer, unless you take some experienced person with you, I also still stand by my opinion that the advice you gave was near useless, so please feel free to climb down off your high horse!

Now you're cooking on gas
Would that not have been a better response that trying to confuse the issue?

derekgas 12-04-2009 21:21

Yes it would, and more infomative, and less confusing by far than quoting Frank Randall, and the weatherman!

Royboy39 12-04-2009 21:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by derekgas (Post 703796)
Yes it would, and more infomative, and less confusing by far than quoting Frank Randall, and the weatherman!

Have a nice day.....:)

derekgas 12-04-2009 21:28

Thank you! You too ;)

mattylad 13-04-2009 16:04

The Rawtenstall one was excellent, it was massive, loads of booters.

I think it was on again today too as they were packing stuff up this afternoon when I cycled down there.

Went to Accy one on Sunday, it smelt of fish & was full of rubbish. :(
(yes I know thats what you get in a "market" - but it did smell).

lancsdave 13-04-2009 17:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattylad (Post 703933)
Went to Accy one on Sunday, it smelt of fish & was full of rubbish. :(
(yes I know thats what you get in a "market" - but it did smell).

Call it a hunch but I suspect you were near the fish stalls at the time :D

mattylad 13-04-2009 20:37

Smelt of fish at one time & veg at the other, BO in the middle :D

lancsdave 13-04-2009 20:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattylad (Post 704032)
Smelt of fish at one time & veg at the other, BO in the middle :D

I was in the middle so it looks like Lynx wasted a lot of money advertising the Chocolate deodarant, unless it has a totally opposite smell to men than it does to women :)