Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Nori Brick (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/nori-brick-4998.html)

Acrylic-bob 23-07-2004 05:39

Nori Brick

They were red and hard as nails and made in accy. NORI is IRON spelt backwards.

When I was at Accrington and Rosendale College on Blackburn road we dug some shale from the old Nori quarry on the side of the Coppice and ground it up, the clay was fine and very easy to work. Then we fired it, just to see what the result would be. It was firey red and rock hard and impervious to water. A very satisfying result.

But Nori made more than just the bog standard engineering brick, they also did a lot of decorative stuff in the same material. Does anyone know what happened to their pattern books? Did they all go to the county archive in Preston or are they lost now? It would be fascinating to find out just how much they did and where it ended up.

JohnW 28-07-2004 17:07

Re: Nori Brick

You are speaking in the past tense, are Nori bricks not made any more?

mac 28-07-2004 18:51

bloody hell. that brings back memories.

nori bricks. wow a blast from the past.

dunno to be honest mate

yerself 29-07-2004 10:56

Have you tried contacting them. Nori bricks are still in production, they have a website http://www.nori-acidbrick.com/Nori_Acid_News.htm
Projects where Accrington NORI products have recently been supplied:
Power Station Chimney Lining - Malaysia
Power Station Chimney Lining - Egypt
Gas Scrubber Linings - Australia
Digestor Linings - Malaysia
Steel Pickle Tank Linings - Brazil
Gas Quench Tower - Thailand
Acid Plant Towers - Chile
Metallurgical Plant Floors - Middle East
Incinerator Chimney Lining - Singapore
Gas Cleaning Tower - Korea

Acrylic-bob 29-07-2004 16:57

Yes they are still made by Marshalls Clay Products Ltd of Whinney Hill Road. But they are a different company and they don't make the decorative stuff. I will be going to Blackpool this weekend, I will take the camera and bring back some shots of what I mean - if I get chance- I have a business relocation on this weekend.

JohnW 29-07-2004 17:26

So, is the Nori Brick Company now defunct?

Acrylic-bob 29-07-2004 17:42

As the Nori brick Company Ltd, yes. I am not sure when they went out of business, probably the lovely and V. V. knowlegeable Atarah would be able to help out on that one.

Acrylic-bob 02-08-2004 13:02

2 Attachment(s)
This is a poor example of what I mean.

Atarah 02-08-2004 23:06

Nori Brick

1 Attachment(s)
Hi A-Bob. Not too sure about Nori and went they vanished, but .. will try and investigate. I believe there is a fine example of this type of work in the arcade in Accrington. Look over the entrance to Bootleggers and you will see what I mean. This building used to be the Post Office.

Here, for those that never saw it, is an old aerial view of the works.

mez 02-08-2004 23:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah

Here, for those that never saw it, is an old aerial view of the works.

Taken from a German Bomber?

Acrylic-bob 09-08-2004 07:05

Atarah, is that a Railway line running from the middle of the pic to the bottom right?

tommybrook 10-08-2004 08:28

There were two brickwork sites, one at the Clayton side of Whinney Hill & the other at the Huncoat side. In the 1950s the half of the road outside the 'Huncoat' works was made of bricks. The sites were connected by railway & a steam engine went to & from each site. One of the workers used to yodel & you could hear him from long way off. As kids we used to play on Whinney Hill - go into the quarry sometimes & sledge down the hill when it snowed. Happy days!!

Stanley4Life 10-08-2004 13:46

what happened to it?

the reason it is called nori is because sombody put the mold the wrong way round on the brick

accyplus 10-08-2004 14:28

The nori brick company set out the IRON brick company and the guy who painted the chimneys started of the with the letter I and painted upwards and got NORI ence the name NORI,any other suggestions ?.

Acrylic-bob 12-08-2004 16:49

1 Attachment(s)
Another example, this one on Abbey Street.