Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Frank Randle (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/frank-randle-54576.html)

Jim Procter 23-08-2010 13:38

Frank Randle

The older ones among you will remember Frank Randle a comedian before and during the war.I was reading a biography of him and it mentioned that he once bombarded Accrington from a plane with toilet rolls.It did not mention when this event took place. Does anyone know?And why did he do it? Was he trying to tell Accrington something?

Gremlin 23-08-2010 14:15

Re: Frank Randle

I didn't live in Accrington when Frank Randle was active so don't know about the bog rolls but what I remember him for was his constant belching during his act. When I was a child I thought it was very naughty of him and so I enjoyed it even more.

Bob Dobson 23-08-2010 19:25

Two stories here have got mixed up.... The bombarding was done from a plane over Blackpool where he lived and frequently crossed swords with the Chief Constable. Accrington comes into the story because, towards the end of his life/career he operated the Hippodrome and lived in a caravan near the Red Lion at Green Haworth. Quite a come down from his superb house on Lytham Rd(?) Blackpool

His real name was Arthur MacEvoy

Retlaw 23-08-2010 21:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 839475)
Two stories here have got mixed up.... The bombarding was done from a plane over Blackpool where he lived and frequently crossed swords with the Chief Constable. Accrington comes into the story because, towards the end of his life/career he operated the Hippodrome and lived in a caravan near the Red Lion at Green Haworth. Quite a come down from his superb house on Lytham Rd(?) Blackpool

His real name was Arthur MacEvoy

Is he the one that did Old Mother Riley, with some one called Kitty McShane.
Retlaw.

MargaretR 24-08-2010 02:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 839514)
Is he the one that did Old Mother Riley, with some one called Kitty McShane.
Retlaw.

No - not the same chap.

To help you remember look at this page,
Frank Randle Gallery
The photos at the bottom of that long page are how I remember him.

He also has a page in Wikipedia, which needs correcting if Bob Dobson's post is correct

Jim Procter 24-08-2010 13:14

Arthur Lucan played the part of Old Mother Riley.He died on the stage here in Hull at the Tivoli Theatre and is buried in a local cemetery. There is a street named after him in Hull.

Bob Dobson 24-08-2010 13:45

I got my information about Frank's proper name from a marvellous book about comedians entitled 'They made us laugh' by Geoff Mellor. It looks as if in fact he was Arthur Hughes. Wikepedia mentions his previous convictions sheet being in the Lancashire Police Collection in the Museum of Lancashire. I was responsible for depositing it there. I will check if it is in the name of Hughes or McEvoy. I enjoyed looking at the link.

Barrie Yates 24-08-2010 16:29

I think that he played the drunk with a broken cigarette in his mouth. I do remember that he was very funny without the need for foul and obscene language.

MargaretR 24-08-2010 17:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 839675)
I think that he played the drunk with a broken cigarette in his mouth. I do remember that he was very funny without the need for foul and obscene language.

I think you are confusing him with Freddy Frinton

YouTube - FREDDIE FRINTON : The Drunk

Taggy 24-08-2010 18:01

Freddie Frinton played a superb drunk on stage! Frank Randle managed it much more often in real life, he was a legendary boozer, and enjoyed more than a few sessions with Josef Locke! I think he once had a boat moored near Blackpool!

Best Regards - Taggy

MargaretR 24-08-2010 18:08

To avoid further confusion I have found this

YouTube - Frank Randle - Classic 'Grandpa' Sketch

Barrie Yates 24-08-2010 18:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 839688)
I think you are confusing him with Freddy Frinton

YouTube - FREDDIE FRINTON : The Drunk

I tug my forelock to you Margaret - you are correct.:)

MargaretR 24-08-2010 18:29

Another comedian of that era was Albert Modley. He was famous for his tram driver impression. He isn't on you tube but you might remember him by this pic.
http://www.albertmodley.co.uk/1.jpg

My great aunt had a boarding house in Bispham, and I spent a chunk of my childhood there, so have seen many of these old time comedians on stage.

Retlaw 24-08-2010 18:32

One of my favourites was
Albert Modley and his Blackpool Tram.
Eee a cud eaut a meat pie.

Retlaw

MrPastry 07-08-2014 06:13

Bob actually the Blackpool pilot refused to take off with Frank and the offending bog rolls.