Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Peel Park teacher Mr Ryan (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/peel-park-teacher-mr-ryan-5828.html)

THE PEEL PARK GHOST 05-10-2004 20:41

Peel Park teacher Mr Ryan

Anybody remember Mr Ryan from Peel Park, around 1982-85 I think. Whatever happenend to him. He was nuts!! Oh and Mr Dickinson.... he was the one who used to throw the blackboard duster around, most impressive.

WillowTheWhisp 05-10-2004 21:06

Re: Peel Park teacher Mr Ryan

In my day it was Mr Gleave who threw the blackboard duster. Not very impressive if it hit you.

lettie 06-10-2004 16:08

I don't remember Mr Ryan, he wasn't there when I was. I was there between 1976-1979. I certainly remember Mr Dickinson. I wasn't in his class but My sister Grego was. I'm sure she has fond memories of the blackboard duster as she was probably on the receiving end of it on several occasions..:D

Tealeaf 06-10-2004 16:25

Just like her sister, no doubt.

grego 08-10-2004 20:56

I remember Mr Dickinson, I was in his class, cant remember if I ever had the duster thrown at me, probably, remember getting the slipper from Mr Paris in assembly. I dont remember Mr Ryan though, the other teachers I remember are Mrs Harwood/Coupe and Mrs Bowles.

WillowTheWhisp 08-10-2004 22:51

Anyone remember Miss Carter and Mr Brown? She became Mrs Brown. And the old headmaster Mr. Hinchliffe? Mrs Virtue?

Margaret Pilkington 03-11-2004 14:07

I remember Mr Hinchcliffe, Mr Gleave, Miss Butterworth, Miss Kay Mrs Shaw and John Heap.......all these teachers were there up until 1958 when I left. I used to see Mr Hinchcliffe around the town...... but have not seen him for ages.....maybe he has shuffled off this mortal coil. I know that Miss Butterworth died because I looked after her when I was nursing...... but not sure what became of the others.

WillowTheWhisp 03-11-2004 14:24

I remember Mr Hinchliffe lived up Sandy Lane. He was very particular about the fact that it wasn't Hinchcliffe with a 'c'. I presume he must have passed on by now surely as he retired years ago as did Mr. Gleave. I don't remember John Heap. Who was he? Do you recall Mrs Virgo? I can't for the life of me remember the name of the infant headmistress. Mr. Gleave was my favourite teacher, very strict but fair. He lived off Manchester Road (possibly Bamford Crescent) and Mr Paris (after my time) moved into his old house.

Did you go on the aeroplane trip over Accy from Blackpool? I was very disappointed at how small the windows were and it was impossible to see much if you weren't in a window seat.

Margaret Pilkington 03-11-2004 19:18

Yes Willow..... you were right about Mr Gleave being firm but fair...... he was firm AND fair when he wielded the slipper...... though I have to admit I didn't ever get on the wrong side of him (thankfully). And No I did not get to go on the Blackpool flight....we were really poor (dad was out of work at the time) and Mum explained that it would not be fair for me to go on such an outing when my other brothers could not go.....funnily enough there were no tantrums or arguments......I just accepted it.
John Heap was the teacher of Class 3 and he lived with his mother at the top of Belfield Rd...... that was when it was considered posh up there.
I do not recall a Mrs Virgo..... neither can I remember the name of the headmistress of the infant School.
I do remember me and my friend Violet Furness getting into trouble with the infant Headmistress for sliding down the coke pile......we scattered the coke all over the playground and it was considered a bit dangerous for the baby class.

Margaret Pilkington 03-11-2004 19:23

I also remember a girl at Peel Park called Vivien Roncetti (not sure if I have spelled that right) she was an absolutely brilliant violinist.....often wonder what became of her.
I was also in the same year as David Lloyd the cricketer.

WillowTheWhisp 03-11-2004 21:42

2 Attachment(s)
These might bring back a few memories

Margaret Pilkington 04-11-2004 19:21

Do they ever?????........it looks just how I remember it! 50 years ago (well since I first went there that is)...... must be an old burger eh?

Margaret Pilkington 04-11-2004 19:23

I was also remembering that Miss Kay got married and became Mrs Phillips..... it took me quite a while to get my head around that concept at the time

WillowTheWhisp 04-11-2004 20:47

Miss McClaren or McLaren! I think that was the infants headmistress. The name just came to me in a flash.

Atarah 05-11-2004 08:18

Peel Park

I too went to Peel Park. Remember the "crack" all the way down the middle of the hallway floor. This was known as "the line" - if you were naughty, you had to forfeit your breaktime and stand on the line and kids came round and "mocked you" - horrible rules!

WillowTheWhisp 05-11-2004 08:48

I don't remember that. Was it in the Infants or the Juniors?

Sparkologist 25-11-2004 17:33

I remember Mr Ryan, when he was a teacher at Moor End, up Ossy, if it is the same bloke. Mr Ryan used to run the school football and cricket teams. He also used to play cricket at Great Harwood. He was a good teacher who had time for everyone. He made lessons very interesting and inspired his pupils to learn, unlike one embittered old sod called Mr Batty, who ruled with fear and a cat-o-nine tails.

rosegrove 10-12-2004 16:46

i was on the flightover blackpool i am 52 now remeber a teacher called mr hicling he used to take us to the old accy baths for swiming lessons when i was in the infants my teacher was miss otter a have a old school photo somewere with the class and miss otter

WillowTheWhisp 10-12-2004 23:35

I remember Miss Otter. I don't remember a Mr. Hicling though. You must have been there the same time I was. I wonder if you were in my class. Did you have Mr. Gleave in the top class and Mr. Brown the year before that?

accyplus 11-12-2004 09:45

I bowed to alla many painful times when Mr Gleave was my teacher,what a cruel man
he was,he used to hit you right on your monkey tail with a giant pump and boy did it hurt!,if he caught you chewing gum he would make you spit it out in his hand,he would
then place it on the top of your head and then flatten the gum in your hair and you had to go home like that,and the other teachers were as bad,namely Mrs Becker,
Miss Abbot,Mr Basset.Yes Peel Park jnr,s in the fifties was pretty tough .

WillowTheWhisp 11-12-2004 09:54

I remember him flinging board dusters across the room, and the rap on the back of the knuckles with a ruler. Don't remember the chewing gum. Maybe none of us chewed gum, or dared let him catch us doing it.

Mr. Brown used to use a table tennis bat. I'd forgotton Mr. Gleave's "giant pump" until you mentioned it.

rosegrove 11-12-2004 14:26

can not remeber if any of those teachers names but it sounds like it could be i was at peel park when we were given a presant to celabrate 60 years of the school been open ray pointer well known burnley player came to celabrate the event from peel park went to woodnook school bad place bullying etc glad when i left to move to the midlands my father got a better job left school 1967 lived within grove grasmere close

accymel 11-12-2004 15:52

I went to Peel Park in the early to mid eighties & remember Mr Burkinshaw taking over Mr Gray i think or could be Ryan i remeber his face than name vaguely remember thinking that we swopped to Nutter headteachers LOL. Quite ironically im hoping Peel Park say yes to a placement there, be nice to go back n reminice, altho i know it has changed decor be interesting to if the headteachers office is still at the boys entrance. Anyone remember Mrs Proctor deputy head based in infants school, Miss Dean, mrs Mason, Mrs Adcroft, Mrs Cocker, Mrs Heap, Mrs Tattersall...n Mr Henderson i think still there.

WillowTheWhisp 11-12-2004 16:32

Rosegrove, I was on that flight over Blackpool too. We must have been at school at the same time. I bet we knew each other.

Terry 12-12-2004 12:51

I remember going to Peel Park in 1946 for 6 months. It was my worst memory of school. The teachers were horrible, and although I can't remember ever being a target I saw other kids who were. I don't know any of the names but I remember the lady teachers toilet being in the middle of the main assembly hall.:)

rosegrove 01-01-2005 19:57

hi willow happy new year yes we could know each other my name is stuart nelson i lived at within grove can you remeber if it was mr brown who took us to the baths ,i remember we had to walk whatever the weather .also can you remember the woodwork teachers name ,also there was a photo of the flight over blackpool, showing some of the class waiting to board the plane i think it might have been in accy observer if you was to go to accy libary and ask to see old copys of the observer for that year you might find the photo all the best rosegrove

WillowTheWhisp 01-01-2005 21:25

I've got a copy of that old photo somewhere and I know I'm on it. It's also in a book about Accy. I think I've got a copy of the photo on the old PC but it's very poor quality. It's hard to recognise anybody.

Yes I think Mr. Brown took the boys to the baths. The funny thing is that I can't remember who took the girls. I do remember having to walk all the way there and back!

lindsay ormerod 04-01-2005 16:29

According my 9 year old daughter there are still teachers of the names Mason,Cocker,Heap,Tattersall and Henderson at Peel park;Mr Burkinshaw retired at the end of summer term last year and the new headmistress is Mrs Williams.

accymel 04-01-2005 16:46

Oh good golly i'll reap em nitemares then when i start my placement there if accepted for teaching assn't .....ekkkkkk PMSL

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod
According my 9 year old daughter there are still teachers of the names Mason,Cocker,Heap,Tattersall and Henderson at Peel park;Mr Burkinshaw retired at the end of summer term last year and the new headmistress is Mrs Williams.

kestrelx 04-01-2005 17:21

Anybody remember Mr Hinchcliffe? lol

WillowTheWhisp 04-01-2005 20:27

I remember him. He was the headmaster when I was there but is was Hinchliffe not Hinchcliffe. I remember his being most specific about the way his name was spelt.

kestrelx 11-01-2005 18:17

Well I'll be dammned I didn't know that is how he spelt his name lol!" - he used to live in a old house up Sandy Lane - now I wonder if that building still exists?

WillowTheWhisp 11-01-2005 18:38

I haven't been up there for ages. I think it was round the end of Ascot Way area wasn't it?

kestrelx 21-01-2005 10:45

Yeh it was I don't know if it's still there - probably not!?:confused:

Shurm 22-01-2005 10:23

I remember Mr Dickinson oouuccchhh lol and Mr Rawlinson Mr Paris (Headmaster) Mrs Clarke theres a pic on my friends reunited page of the football team with Dickinson on it lol.

kestrelx 01-02-2005 19:35

Yeh I remember Mr Dickinson and then there was Mr Cox and I think Miss Jackson who got married back then and became a Mrs.

fireman 09-02-2005 18:55

i remember the line, stood many an hour their, Remember mrs clifton who taught violin she lived at the bottom of avenue parade. she caught me sledging down the road on my violin case. mr gleaves sent me to put my pe shorts on and gave me 6 crackers in front of class 1. I also spent every break for a week on the line.

fireman 09-02-2005 19:08

mr. hinchliffe's house is still there unfortunately he is dead now but i spoke to him whilst he was working in his gardeen not long before he died. he was a nice old man.

Margaret Pilkington 09-02-2005 19:31

Fireman, we were probably at Peel Park at the same time......I remember Miss Butterworth, Mr Gleaves, Miss Kay(who later became Mrs Phillips) Mrs Shaw,Mrs Clifton,Mr Heaton. Do you remember one of the pupils who played violin beautifully......her name was Vivian Ronchetti and she frequently played for morning assembly.

fireman 09-02-2005 19:35

yes i do they never asked me toplay alone just with the others. mrs philips ended up a relative of mine when she became philips, i personally enjoyed peel park .

Margaret Pilkington 09-02-2005 19:40

I liked Peel Park too.......I was very sorry to leave.

fireman 09-02-2005 19:42

where did you go to from peel park

Margaret Pilkington 09-02-2005 19:44

I lived in the Woodnook area so that was the natural place to go......left at 15......no qualifications, but made it up later in life......but it was hard.

fireman 09-02-2005 19:50

i did the same went to hyndburn park left at 14 cause birthday in september then went to college etc and did ok

Margaret Pilkington 09-02-2005 19:59

Mr Hinchliffe told me that I wouldn't pass my 11+ and I didn't, I don't think I was ready for it. I left school the year that they started doing GCE's and one of the teachers at Woodnook asked my father to let me stay on at school to take some but he refused......said I had to go out to work.....so I did.

fireman 09-02-2005 20:02

what year did you leave

Margaret Pilkington 09-02-2005 20:10

I left summer 1958.

Margaret Pilkington 09-02-2005 20:11

That makes me feel soooooooo ancient!

fireman 09-02-2005 20:12

i think we left at the same time what was your name then

Margaret Pilkington 09-02-2005 20:13

Margaret Duxbury

Margaret Pilkington 09-02-2005 20:14

A small scruffy kid with dark hair.

Margaret Pilkington 09-02-2005 20:15

I used to have a best friend called Violet Furness.

Margaret Pilkington 09-02-2005 20:16

Did you know the Hindle twins...Stuart and David?

fireman 09-02-2005 20:16

so you lived at woodnook and i lived on the fire station houses on manchester rd and mated out with bobby jopson and frank clayton

fireman 09-02-2005 20:18

the twins ring a bell but thats all at the moment. do you remember john redfern

Margaret Pilkington 09-02-2005 20:21

I can remember Bobby Jopson, but not Frank Clayton or John Redfern. The Hindle twins lived up Royds St and their Grandparents had the sweet shop next to the paper shop on Nuttall St.

Margaret Pilkington 09-02-2005 20:23

You may have known my brothers.... Peter, Michael and Phillip..... though they were always getting into mischief.

fireman 09-02-2005 20:25

ihad a paper round at nuttall st paper shop, john redfern had a large birth mark or strawberry mark that covered his eye and some of his cheek. my estranged sister went to woodnook (maria robinson) she married len tattersall

fireman 09-02-2005 20:27

philip duxbury where did you live then

Margaret Pilkington 09-02-2005 20:28

We lived up on Riley's hill.....my mother still lives up there.

Margaret Pilkington 09-02-2005 20:29

I would've thought I would remember John Redfern, but I can't bring him to mind.

fireman 09-02-2005 20:29

dont know rileys hill but i'm sure we know each other

Margaret Pilkington 09-02-2005 20:33

We must have met somewhere along the way......probably with me wheeling a pramful of coal bricks from Bob Wilkies shop!

fireman 09-02-2005 20:33

is rileys hill anything to do with harry rileys shop on the top corner of grange lane and wellington st

Margaret Pilkington 09-02-2005 20:34

You must know Riley's Hill......near Woodnook mills, Priestly clough......if you ever played by Highams lodge then you walked past Riley's Hill.

fireman 09-02-2005 20:35

that was on nuttall street higher up than the paper shop on the oposite side

Margaret Pilkington 09-02-2005 20:35

Or if you went up to Bullough Park you would have gone perhaps via Riley's Hill.
All the kids from around the area used to play up there.

Margaret Pilkington 09-02-2005 20:37

Under the Railway bridge.....and carry on until you got to Victoria St...... that veered to the right and if you carried straight on you came to Marsden St.

fireman 09-02-2005 20:37

usedto catch sticklebacks in a jamjar at priestly clough

Margaret Pilkington 09-02-2005 20:38

Some landmarks you might know.....Woodnook Inn, Band Club. Any nearer????

Margaret Pilkington 09-02-2005 20:39

Well as you walked along the factory bottom.....Riley's Hill was on your right hand side.

fireman 09-02-2005 20:40

up nuttall st to top instead of turning right on factory bottom take next left priestly clough along their

fireman 09-02-2005 20:41

are you going to the meeting on 26th

Margaret Pilkington 09-02-2005 20:42

No I can't go I have a reunion of colleagues and we are going to Southport for the day.

fireman 09-02-2005 20:46

i am sure we will meet one day and face to face we may be able to find a bit more common ground i look forward to meeting you so that this discusion can carry on without wearing out my typing finger .

Margaret Pilkington 09-02-2005 20:47

Yeah, who knows we may even be related if we look closely enough. I may get to the next meeting.

fireman 09-02-2005 20:49

ok love goodnight

Margaret Pilkington 09-02-2005 20:49

Yippeee I have just noticed I have become a senior member!

fireman 10-02-2005 12:28

my wife went to st johns in accrington and last night she asked if i remembersd... PEEL PARK SAUSAGES SITTING ON A WALL, ST. JOHN BULLDOGS CAME AND ATE THEM ALL.

fireman 10-02-2005 12:31

My Wife Went To St. Johns In Accrington And Last Night After Our Chat Saked If I Remembered. " Peel Park Sausages Sitting On A Wall, St. Johns Bulldogs Came And Ate Them All."

Margaret Pilkington 10-02-2005 14:48

I remember that chant. Fireman, did Frank Clayton live up near the old Ambulance station????? If he did then I know who you mean. One of my other friends had a mad crush on him and she used to persuade me to walk past his house to get a glimpse of him

fireman 10-02-2005 15:43

yes he di on broad oak road. and he still does

Margaret Pilkington 10-02-2005 18:48

I was lying there in bed last night trying to remember Frank Clayton..... then it struck me that my friend Sheila Christopher had a huge crush on him and she would get me to go with her and we walked past his house hundreds of times.....he was quite a tall lad with glasses......maybe if I think hard enough I will remember John Redfern.

fireman 10-02-2005 18:51

john was very shy probably because of the birth mark on his face which was quite large. i think he lived in the baxenden area

Margaret Pilkington 10-02-2005 18:56

No... doesn't ring any bells at all.

fireman 10-02-2005 18:58

no well he wasn't very dynamic, but the last i heard was he was leader of the sydney philharmonic orchestra did ok eh

Margaret Pilkington 10-02-2005 19:02

Oh..... so I won't see him walking around Accy then. I'll have to look out for him the next time I am in Sydney......wouldn't that be a hoot???? me turning up at the Sydney opera house and waving to him and singing 'Peel Park sausages' etc

fireman 10-02-2005 19:06

think he might ignor you

Margaret Pilkington 10-02-2005 19:12

Now how could he do that?.....with me a lady of exceeding charm and beauty! LOL
And once he hears the Peel Park Anthem .......well, that should swing it for me. He might even give me complimentary tickets to the Opera House (it's an arm and a leg to get in)

fireman 10-02-2005 19:16

it might be worth a try just get the doorman to get a message to him that a peel park sausage is at the door. think you would soon see several white coats converging on you. their coming to take me away ha ha.

Margaret Pilkington 10-02-2005 19:18

Oh......Fireman, I have a pictorial imagination and you cannot imagine what mirth that little scenario has created for me......I am laughing my socks off here!

fireman 10-02-2005 19:20

why tell me about it

Margaret Pilkington 10-02-2005 19:41

Well, I can picture it happening...... me at the stage door of the Opera House.....shouting about a Peel Park Sausage.......and sirens and blue flashing lights...men in white coats carting me off to a secure unit for trying to stalk poor old, shy old John Redfern.......can't you just see it???? Wonder if it would make the front page of the Herald Sun?

fireman 10-02-2005 19:44

i can see the headline now. RAVING BRIT WITH DELUSIONS OF BEING A SAUSAGE TRIES TO ATTACK ORCHESTRA LEADER. BET THE OBSERVER WOULD LIKE A TASTE OF THAT TOO.

Margaret Pilkington 10-02-2005 19:48

See.... what did I tell you.....still laughing my socks off here!

fireman 10-02-2005 19:50

Bet Your Hubby Thinks You Have Gone Mad

Margaret Pilkington 10-02-2005 19:54

No, Fireman......He already knows that I AM mad...... I think that is why I feel so at home on accyweb......there are quite a few of us.

fireman 14-02-2005 20:56

Have You Been Fitted For Your New Jacket Yet Margaret :end:

Margaret Pilkington 16-02-2005 19:49

Hello Fireman......no, it was far too tight.....pinched me under the arms, and I didn't much care for the colour!

fireman 16-02-2005 19:54

You are not allowed to have a choice in these matters after all why would anyone take notice of any one who try's to itroduce themself as a peel park sausage. And as far as the laces down the back go I think it is probably the best or maybe the safest place for them!!!!!!!!!