Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Memorial at Oak Hill Park 13.11.11 (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/memorial-at-oak-hill-park-13-11-11-a-59864.html)

wallop79 13-11-2011 21:47

Memorial at Oak Hill Park 13.11.11

5 Attachment(s)
I went to the memorial at Oak Hill Park today, I must say I have never seen so many people as today and I have been going for a number of years. I noticed a gentleman & possibly a lady as well filming, does anyone know which tv stations they were from, as there was nothing shown on the local BBC or Granada news at tea time?

wallop79 13-11-2011 22:34

Memorial at Oak Hill Park 13.11.11

3 Attachment(s)
Few more pics

Margaret Pilkington 13-11-2011 22:40

Re: Memorial at Oak Hill Park 13.11.11

Wallop I can't give you the information you asked for.....but I think there has been much more interest in Remembrance Day this year because of the hoo-ha about the England team wearing poppies. There certainly seemed to be more people sporting poppies this year.....so I reckon Fifa did the British Legion a favour.

Retlaw 13-11-2011 23:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 947714)
Wallop I can't give you the information you asked for.....but I think there has been much more interest in Remembrance Day this year because of the hoo-ha about the England team wearing poppies. There certainly seemed to be more people sporting poppies this year.....so I reckon Fifa did the British Legion a favour.

I think its more than that Margaret, I've been contacted by 3 different television producers so far this year, two of them in the last 30 days, all asking for information on the Accrington Pals.
I keep telling them that not only did 125 Pals from Greater Accrington die on July 1st, 96 Greater Accrington men, serving in other regiments were also killed that day
There are 879 names on the WW1 Memorial, in Oak Hill Park. 11 of them are double entries, 13 have spelling mistakes, & there are 83 names missing.
Retlaw.

cashman 14-11-2011 00:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 947714)

According to the news the other day,its been a record year fer flogging poppies, whatever the reason it suits me down to the ground.:);)

Bernard Dawson 14-11-2011 00:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by wallop79 (Post 947690)
I went to the memorial at Oak Hill Park today, I must say I have never seen so many people as today and I have been going for a number of years. I noticed a gentleman & possibly a lady as well filming, does anyone know which tv stations they were from, as there was nothing shown on the local BBC or Granada news at tea time?

I saw that as well. There was a bloke interviewing someone from the British Legion, and he looked like the historian Michael Wood to me.

cashman 14-11-2011 00:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson (Post 947750)
I saw that as well. There was a bloke interviewing someone from the British Legion, and he looked like the historian Michael Wood to me.

Theres a member on here of that name n owd mate of mine, somehow doubt very much if it was him.:D:D:D

Bernard Dawson 14-11-2011 00:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 947758)
Theres a member on here of that name n owd mate of mine, somehow doubt very much if it was him.:D:D:D

Michael Wood's on the telly a lot. Famous historian.

cashman 14-11-2011 00:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson (Post 947761)
Michael Wood's on the telly a lot. Famous historian.

I know bernard.:D

Bernard Dawson 14-11-2011 00:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 947762)
I know bernard.:D

I think it was him. Maybe doing something on the Pals. Anyway a good turn out at the cenotaph, which was good to see.

mez 14-11-2011 08:56

i was there too i was supporting my grandson who has just joined the a.t.c. this year & it was his first march, i was wearing my dads medals too i had not worn them since the 50th anniversary of v.e. day, i was glad that the turn out was as it was & hopefully will attend next year. my daughter said that the the t. v. people are from channel 4 but there was nothing on their news last night unless its for a documentary i don't know.

mez 14-11-2011 09:18

the last time i wore my dads medals as i said was the 50th anniversary of v.e. day & i was then on parade myself with the R.N.X'S. navy version of dads army it was disbanded in the 90's but i wore the medals with pride both times.

Retlaw 14-11-2011 12:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by mez (Post 947800)
i was there too i was supporting my grandson who has just joined the a.t.c. this year & it was his first march, i was wearing my dads medals too i had not worn them since the 50th anniversary of v.e. day, i was glad that the turn out was as it was & hopefully will attend next year. my daughter said that the the t. v. people are from channel 4 but there was nothing on their news last night unless its for a documentary i don't know.

I think those TV people, if it was Michael Wood, are from Mayavision, they are one of the companies that
have contacted me recently.

Retlaw

Tealeaf 14-11-2011 13:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 947920)
I think those TV people, if it was Michael Wood, are from Mayavision, they are one of the companies that
have contacted me recently.

Retlaw

I suspect you may well be getting a few more enquiries from these production companies, Walter. With the 100th anniversary of the outbreak of WW1 now less than 3 years away, documentary makers will already be in the pre-production stages of the programmes they intend to make - so they'll be doing their background research now.

Until quite recently, both BBC and ITV would have made these programmes in-house. Now, however, they are outsourced to various private companies of which Mayavision is but one. Like any other business, they are there to make a profit so as such you may well wish to consider insisting on a small donation (to such as the RBL) in return for your not inconsiderable assistance in their enterprise.

wallop79 14-11-2011 13:54

Bumped into the mayor whilst on my way into town & asked her if she knew who the tv crew were, she said the BritishLlegion had organised it & gave me the name of a gentleman at the legion to ask for. Also she said she didn't finish until 2130 last night with all the events at different towns that she attended, big pat on the back to our mayor.

Retlaw 14-11-2011 14:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf (Post 947929)
I suspect you may well be getting a few more enquiries from these production companies, Walter. With the 100th anniversary of the outbreak of WW1 now less than 3 years away, documentary makers will already be in the pre-production stages of the programmes they intend to make - so they'll be doing their background research now.

Until quite recently, both BBC and ITV would have made these programmes in-house. Now, however, they are outsourced to various private companies of which Mayavision is but one. Like any other business, they are there to make a profit so as such you may well wish to consider insisting on a small donation (to such as the RBL) in return for your not inconsiderable assistance in their enterprise.

I've been contacted twice this year by BBC, one group was based in Manchester, and the other lot sent a researcher up from London for a week, looking into the aspect of the women, and the effects on them leading up to, and during WW1.
They have all been informed that the William Turner collection of WW1 photographs is copyrighted, as is mine.

Retlaw.

Tealeaf 14-11-2011 15:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 947965)
They have all been informed that the William Turner collection of WW1 photographs is copyrighted, as is mine.
Retlaw.

It would appear that the IWM is now undertaking an exercise involving individual photographs of WW1 combatants. It terms of numbers, it does not appear as extensive as your collection but it looks like they're going in depth.

This was announced on the local London news last week:

Imperial War Museum commemorates Armistice Day by releasing photos of WWI dead on Flickr | Culture24

Retlaw 14-11-2011 15:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf (Post 947977)
It would appear that the IWM is now undertaking an exercise involving individual photographs of WW1 combatants. It terms of numbers, it does not appear as extensive as your collection but it looks like they're going in depth.

This was announced on the local London news last week:

Imperial War Museum commemorates Armistice Day by releasing photos of WWI dead on Flickr | Culture24

The trouble is that a lot of these organisations have started to late. During the past 20 years several War Memorials, Rolls of Honour, have disappeared from Church's, Pubs & Clubs which have closed down or been demolished. Hundreds of WW1 personal momento's, photographs, cards & letters have been destroyed when the older generation have died, and relatives have been to indiferent, and binned the lot.
Luckily Bill & I managed to save a lot.
Retlaw.

Gayle 14-11-2011 17:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 947965)
I've been contacted twice this year by BBC, one group was based in Manchester, and the other lot sent a researcher up from London for a week, looking into the aspect of the women, and the effects on them leading up to, and during WW1.
Retlaw.

How are they copyrighted? Or more interestingly, how do you have the copyright? I'm assuming that you didn't take them yourself.

Retlaw 14-11-2011 18:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 948003)
How are they copyrighted? Or more interestingly, how do you have the copyright? I'm assuming that you didn't take them yourself.

Quite a lot of my photo's I have taken myself, various War Memorials Rolls of Honour, WW1 Grave Head stones, plus things I have collected or been given. a collection of words in a book become copyrighted, so do collections of other things.
Quite a lot of pictures of men in the collection were unidentified until I was able to put names & service numbers to them.

How did Ancestry get copyright to WW1 documents, after all the originals are in the Public Record Office at Kew, answer that one.
Retlaw

peepodaylane 15-11-2011 17:32

I was told the filming was done for a forthcoming series about Britain due to be shown on bbc2 sometime in April next year.

dusty mears 17-11-2011 14:20

She very kindly came to Hyndburn Green Spaces Forum on Tuesday evening to present certificates to Green Partnership Award winners. She'd come from another event to ours and then to another event i think after !! Dont know how she does it and she's always so lovely and smiling all the time. Respect

Neil 17-11-2011 14:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by dusty mears (Post 949022)
She very kindly came to Hyndburn Green Spaces Forum on Tuesday evening to present certificates to Green Partnership Award winners. She'd come from another event to ours and then to another event i think after !! Dont know how she does it and she's always so lovely and smiling all the time. Respect

I was never really into the idea of having a Mayor, nothing against the Mayor him/herself but the idea of it.

I must admit that her being there did give it more of an official feeling and she was lovely, friendly and full of smiles.

I might be changing my mind about my feelings towards the idea of having a Mayor after all.

cashman 17-11-2011 14:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 949025)
I was never really into the idea of having a Mayor, nothing against the Mayor him/herself but the idea of it.

I must admit that her being there did give it more of an official feeling and she was lovely, friendly and full of smiles.

I might be changing my mind about my feelings towards the idea of having a Mayor after all.

Perhaps its summat you now fancy in a few years?.:D

jaysay 17-11-2011 19:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 949036)
Perhaps its summat you now fancy in a few years?.:D

Would we have to bow every time we logged on to Accy Web:D

Retlaw 17-11-2011 20:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 949110)
Would we have to bow every time we logged on to Accy Web:D

Yes & you would have to kiss his arse as well.:D:D:D:D

jaysay 18-11-2011 10:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 949148)
Yes & you would have to kiss his arse as well.:D:D:D:D

I thought that was already monitor Retlaw:D:D

kestrelx 10-08-2012 21:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by peepodaylane (Post 948314)
I was told the filming was done for a forthcoming series about Britain due to be shown on bbc2 sometime in April next year.

Yes it's been shown 9pm on Friday 10th August.

wallop79 10-08-2012 22:26

Well thanks for the post kestrelx, after the event! It is repeated in BBC HD in a couple hrs (2.00am Saturday)

kestrelx 10-08-2012 23:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by wallop79 (Post 1008329)
Well thanks for the post kestrelx, after the event! It is repeated in BBC HD in a couple hrs (2.00am Saturday)

I didn't know it was in this program - I only came across it by accident, then I was told about this thread! :rolleyes: