Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2013, 12:02   #16
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: 62 Abbey Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Is there anywhere in Acc that Cashy has not worked?
From my knowledge of the Cashmeister (by his very own comments ), it's more a case of where he's been banned from or kicked out of than worked.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:12   #17
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Very few places Mr Dobson, was asked to name the firms i had worked for n dates, this was back in mid 70s, n fer National Insurance purposes, Took me approx 3 months to figure out, the total then came to 52 jobs, n i never included a few "cash in hand" places.
Old 07-04-2013, 16:02   #18
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Very few places Mr Dobson, was asked to name the firms i had worked for n dates, this was back in mid 70s, n fer National Insurance purposes, Took me approx 3 months to figure out, the total then came to 52 jobs, n i never included a few "cash in hand" places.
I suppose that's how you arrived at being Cashman. and beholden to nobody.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 20:01   #19
I am Banned

Quote:
I reckon the correct answer to this question is "everywhere"
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 20:04   #20
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Phil, here is a photo of that part of Abbey Street in 1907. The Black Horse is just to the left of the lamp post in the middle distance.. Going away from the town centre there are then your three buildings. The fourth one from the Warner Street corner appears to have a sign board over but I can't make it out. It's on what looks like a projecting porch.

I post this really just out of interest, not because it throws any light on our quest for a pub.

http://lanternimages.lancashire.gov....21&r=2&t=4&x=1
The facade of the Arden looks unchanged Susie.. and yes intriguingly looks like a pub sign on the left where Kemp & Smiths barbers was..
Old 08-04-2013, 22:15   #21
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Also there are quoins (larger stones) between the hairdresser and the cafe, suggesting that the doctor and hairdresser were once one property, and the LH facade of the cafe juts out on to the pavement, again suggesting a different date for building from those further down the block.
Certainly on the 1890/1910 map it does show this property as one building :

Abbey.jpg
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 18:41   #22
Senior Member+

I have asked the library staff to research this. They can find no evidence of it having ben a pub. Shops too had cellars accessed from the street using pulleys/block & tackle. I have previously looked at the earliest directories and seen no pubs other than the well-known ones. When Abbey St was young,(say up to 1830) there were only half a dozen pubs in the town
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 18:45   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
The facade of the Arden looks unchanged Susie.. and yes intriguingly looks like a pub sign on the left where Kemp & Smiths barbers was..
Seem to recall Ribblesdale Coaches next door to Barbers?
Old 09-04-2013, 19:18   #24
I am Banned

Quote:
Seem to recall Ribblesdale Coaches next door to Barbers?
Toffee shop young Mr c, think they were agents for Ribblesdale.
Old 09-04-2013, 20:05   #25
I am Banned

Quote:
I remember when that was a toffee shop, when rationing ended after the war, there were dozens of people jostling to get in the shop, not having much money I didn't bother, saw very little toffeee during the war except for Lythes off Gillie St, he would sell us kids 1d bags of bits that were left over from when he made mint humbugs. Other things were even scarcer oranges & banana's, only ever saw oranges around xmas time, ships during the war carried more important things than fruit.

Last edited by Retlaw; 09-04-2013 at 20:08.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 20:37   #26
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Aye that would be it, used to jump on coach yon fer away games mid 60s.
Old 09-04-2013, 20:39   #27

Quote:
I have asked the library staff to research this. They can find no evidence of it having ben a pub. Shops too had cellars accessed from the street using pulleys/block & tackle. I have previously looked at the earliest directories and seen no pubs other than the well-known ones. When Abbey St was young,(say up to 1830) there were only half a dozen pubs in the town

More information...He believes the pub was built in 1827 and ceased being a pub around 1860ish. It was one of three pubs...the Warners, The Red Lion (not the Black Horse as I thought earlier) and this one. The houses around were built so the streets efectively connected the pubs. The address was originally 1 Warner st and 60 Abbey Street. The doctors surgery bought it from Babyland and as I said before the cellar had to be cleared and opened for the survey.
Gary said he watched some workmen empty the cellar and there were old beer barrels and beer pumps and other old pub paraphenalia down there and The owner of Babyland Ronnie Ormerod confirmed it used to be a pub and new the name of it but has flamin forgotten what it was.

Maybe the 1841 and 1851 censuses might throw more light on the matter. Could it have been an Ale house perhaps..were they sightly different to a pub maybe
Karateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:05   #28
I am Banned

Quote:
Aye that would be it, used to jump on coach yon fer away games mid 60s.
In the early wee hours (no pun here Mr c) I was contemplating my navel and my mortality, along with Mr Aguero's great goal against that lot in Red skirts on Monday night*

I mused on was the shop next door to the toffee shop (the one that sticks out) not a tobacconists?

* Oh yes and Drogba's cheeky backheeled goal last night
Old 10-04-2013, 07:13   #29
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
In the early wee hours (no pun here Mr c) I was contemplating my navel and my mortality, along with Mr Aguero's great goal against that lot in Red skirts on Monday night*

I mused on was the shop next door to the toffee shop (the one that sticks out) not a tobacconists?

* Oh yes and Drogba's cheeky backheeled goal last night
Now i'm confused was the one that sticks out not the toffeee shop?
Old 10-04-2013, 07:52   #30
I am Banned

mmm ..I have a vague memory that you went up a step into the toffee shop?
They may have been combined? I can remember displays of pipes and smoking paraphenalia in the window of the sticky out shoppe I think

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..