Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2013, 09:14   #31
I am Banned

Re: 62 Abbey Street

Linking this back to the Cabbages & Kings thread on Anything Goes...
My mate at Thwaites sent me this.
A number of Abbey Street pub names long forgotten that just could have been at #62 ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ACCY ALE 1.jpg (312.4 KB, 38 views)
KiTChener and cashman like this.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-04-2013, 09:25   #32
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Thats n interesting pic DtheP
Old 10-04-2013, 09:51   #33
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Thats n interesting pic DtheP
My mate Denzil tells me the booklet is "An Accrington Mixture" edited by one Bob Dobson (1995)....no nooooo there can't be two Bobs can there?
Old 10-04-2013, 09:54   #34
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
My mate Denzil tells me the booklet is "An Accrington Mixture" edited by one Bob Dobson (1995)....no nooooo there can't be two Bobs can there?
No not to my knowledge, God wasn't that dumb.
MargaretR likes this.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:24   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karateman View Post
More information...He believes the pub was built in 1827 and ceased being a pub around 1860ish. It was one of three pubs...the Warners, The Red Lion (not the Black Horse as I thought earlier) and this one. The houses around were built so the streets efectively connected the pubs. The address was originally 1 Warner st and 60 Abbey Street. The doctors surgery bought it from Babyland and as I said before the cellar had to be cleared and opened for the survey.
Gary said he watched some workmen empty the cellar and there were old beer barrels and beer pumps and other old pub paraphenalia down there and The owner of Babyland Ronnie Ormerod confirmed it used to be a pub and new the name of it but has flamin forgotten what it was.

Maybe the 1841 and 1851 censuses might throw more light on the matter. Could it have been an Ale house perhaps..were they sightly different to a pub maybe
I have checked the 1851 Census but no Street numbers were given in that or the 1841 survey. I have found the pages where Abbey Street and Warner Street join but no Pubs Or Alehouses just Hardware Dealers and Grocers.
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 18:14   #36
Senior Member+

I remember that I got that list about 1994 from a police archive in the Lancashire Archives at Preston, but I have since discovered some mistakes (eg Pickup's Arms) in it. We do have a lot of information on our pubs, but there's a lot more work needed to bring us anywhere near 100% accuracy. I know what I want to do, -I just don't have the time.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 21:11   #37

Ah! well it looks like our "pub" name is going to elude us....unless we can find someone who used to drink in it........LOL
Anyone know Ronnie Ormerod who owned Babyland and apparently new the name of this "pub".
Karateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 22:41   #38
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by anzac View Post
I have checked the 1851 Census but no Street numbers were given in that or the 1841 survey. I have found the pages where Abbey Street and Warner Street join but no Pubs Or Alehouses just Hardware Dealers and Grocers.
Just checked the 1861 census and 62 and 64 are Hardware dealers etc. I've been collecting the names of all the Pubs, Yards, Courts and Alleys for years, sarching thro census returns, & Licence renuals, bur never found any thing relating to 62 Abbey St, what I would like to know is why the jump from 58 Black Horse to number 62, wheres 60.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:13   #39
I am Banned

Quote:
Ah! well it looks like our "pub" name is going to elude us....unless we can find someone who used to drink in it........LOL
Anyone know Ronnie Ormerod who owned Babyland and apparently new the name of this "pub".
Ronnie Ormerod from Ossy? would he be 65ish?
Old 11-04-2013, 11:10   #40
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
what I would like to know is why the jump from 58 Black Horse to number 62, wheres 60.
Just sorta' wondered like, if nobody was actually in residence at the time (or premises empty), would it be left off the census ?

In 1849, it was split into two:

005.jpg
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:00   #41
I am Banned

Quote:
Ah! well it looks like our "pub" name is going to elude us....unless we can find someone who used to drink in it".
I know the Arden was formerly the Flying Dutchman but the locations of the Lark Inn, Curriers Arms and Weavers Arms may help by a process of elimination?
Old 11-04-2013, 14:02   #42
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Just sorta' wondered like, if nobody was actually in residence at the time (or premises empty), would it be left off the census ?

In 1849, it was split into two:

Attachment 29480
No when you compare census returns 41/51/61/71/81/91, there is evidence of a No. 60.
Old 11-04-2013, 14:04   #43
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
I know the Arden was formerly the Flying Dutchman but the locations of the Lark Inn, Curriers Arms and Weavers Arms may help by a process of elimination?
Thoae 3 pubs were no where near Warner St.
Old 11-04-2013, 14:16   #44
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
No when you compare census returns 41/51/61/71/81/91, there is evidence of a No. 60.
What I was trying to say is that a census records people and where they were living, not properties... is this correct ? Wondered if it were a shop premise, but the proprietor lived elsewhere.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 15:17   #45
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
What I was trying to say is that a census records people and where they were living, not properties... is this correct ? Wondered if it were a shop premise, but the proprietor lived elsewhere.
I've Several entries in census returns where its says empty or unoccupied. Also the early Burgess Rolls do not list a No. 60.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..