Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2013, 09:53   #1

62 Abbey Street

Anyone have or can point in right direction ref information on the Public house that used to be located at the corner of Warner street and Abbey Street opposite the Black Horse.....currently a gents hairdressers.

Apparently built around 1821 ish..i think

Cheers
Phil
Karateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-04-2013, 11:32   #2
I am Banned

Re: 62 Abbey Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karateman View Post
Anyone have or can point in right direction ref information on the Public house that used to be located at the corner of Warner street and Abbey Street opposite the Black Horse.....currently a gents hairdressers.

Apparently built around 1821 ish..i think

Cheers
Phil
Never heard of a pub on that site, that corner of Abbey St Warner St, is now a doctors surgury formerly Babyland, thats if we are on about same site.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 13:07   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Never heard of a pub on that site, that corner of Abbey St Warner St, is now a doctors surgury formerly Babyland, thats if we are on about same site.
Yep same site...Apparently the docs surgery and the Hairdressers were connected and were once a pub.....according to Garry who owns the hairdressers..he's done some research but there is a gap in its history...up to 1821 it was a pub then from about 1860 it was a pub again, but inbetween he thinks it stopped being a pub for some reason.

Come on Walter I'm relying on you....maybe you used to frequent it in the 1800's and partake in a dram or two.....LOL

Phil
Old 06-04-2013, 13:25   #4
I am Banned

Quote:
Yep same site...Apparently the docs surgery and the Hairdressers were connected and were once a pub.....according to Garry who owns the hairdressers..he's done some research but there is a gap in its history...up to 1821 it was a pub then from about 1860 it was a pub again, but inbetween he thinks it stopped being a pub for some reason.

Come on Walter I'm relying on you....maybe you used to frequent it in the 1800's and partake in a dram or two.....LOL

Phil
Sarky ******.
There is no record of a pub on that site in the mid 1800 licence aplications, and a search of the 1911 census, shows a jump in numbers from 58 which is now the Black Horse to number 64 Abbey St. 60 & 62 are missing. I need a persons name to search any of the previous census records, as there is no facility to search by street name in them.
Old 06-04-2013, 14:16   #5
Resting In Peace

Looking on Google Sreetview the three buildings going south from the corner, ie the surgery, hairdressers and what looks like a cafe, were built at a different time from the ones going towards the other end of the block, as the rooflines don't quite match up.

The property now a surgery has an entrance angled across the corner and a cellar, both features that suggest it may have been a pub at one time. Also there are quoins (larger stones) between the hairdresser and the cafe, suggesting that the doctor and hairdresser were once one property, and the LH facade of the cafe juts out on to the pavement, again suggesting a different date for building from those further down the block.
Old 06-04-2013, 18:39   #6

I have done an address search for the 1861 and 1871 Census returns and there is no mention of a pub at that address.
I have attached the images below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg abbey street accrington 1861.jpg (576.0 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg abbey street accrington 1871.jpg (589.0 KB, 22 views)
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 21:27   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by anzac View Post
I have done an address search for the 1861 and 1871 Census returns and there is no mention of a pub at that address.
I have attached the images below.
I think the pub was there till at least 1821 and then it stopped being a pub sometime up to 1861. I think my friend said there were three pubs at one point, the warners, the black horse, and this one. They built Warner street to connect the three pubs.
The hairdressers was apparently the Snug, and there was an opening into the surgery at the back...you can still see where the door was.......The original stone troughing still runs across the hairdressers and the surgery.

Last edited by Karateman; 06-04-2013 at 21:31.
Old 06-04-2013, 21:31   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Perhaps yer friends confusing things? The now Defunct "Duke Of Wellington" a Thwaites house was just further down,below what was the National Mill Stores Shop, but before the traffic lights.
Old 06-04-2013, 21:45   #9
I am Banned

Quote:
I think the pub was there till at least 1821 and then it stopped being a pub sometime up to 1861. I think my friend said there were three pubs at one point, the warners, the black horse, and this one. They built Warner street to connect the three pubs.
The hairdressers was apparently the Snug, and there was an opening into the surgery at the back...you can still see where the door was.......The original stone troughing still runs across the hairdressers and the surgery.
Warner St is one of the oldest streets in this part of Accrington, and was in existence before little Blackburn Rd was built, or the pubs were thought of.
Abbey Street was the main street of New Accrington, and the numbers on the properties in Warner St run from top to bottom. they were changed at one time, but the numbering was changed back to its original state, it is possibly the only street in Accrington in which the numbers don't start at the town center end, the even numbers are on the left as you walk up. Other streets have the even numbers are on your right as you leave the town center.
Old 06-04-2013, 22:03   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Perhaps yer friends confusing things? The now Defunct "Duke Of Wellington" a Thwaites house was just further down,below what was the National Mill Stores Shop, but before the traffic lights.
Was Duke of Wellington not on opposite side of Abbey Street, next to what used to be Viva Gas?
I know I was not born and bred in Accy, like most of you lot, but in early 80's, I had a kitchen showroom at no.79, opposite Gene Sutcliffe's, & not only had a working relationship with Dougie at Viva, but also supplied kitchen units for private quarters at DofW. A short time later, they introduced topless barmaids..... Unfortunately, after I was allowed back stage access!!
KiTChener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 23:16   #11
Resting In Peace

Phil, here is a photo of that part of Abbey Street in 1907. The Black Horse is just to the left of the lamp post in the middle distance.. Going away from the town centre there are then your three buildings. The fourth one from the Warner Street corner appears to have a sign board over but I can't make it out. It's on what looks like a projecting porch.

I post this really just out of interest, not because it throws any light on our quest for a pub.

http://lanternimages.lancashire.gov....21&r=2&t=4&x=1
Old 06-04-2013, 23:46   #12

I will try and get some more details off him. He did say that certainly next door to his shop, the surgery, had a cellar that was disused and I think boarded up, and when it was last sold it had to be accessed for the survey on the property and to be emptied of any rubbish. He remembers asking the men who were doing it if there might have been a old pub sign down there, but to no avail. He said there is/was a grill in the street where he believes the dreymen used to drop the ale into the cellar.
Old 06-04-2013, 23:52   #13
Resting In Peace

Quote:
He said there is/was a grill in the street where he believes the dreymen used to drop the ale into the cellar.
Yep, that's how I knew the building had a cellar. Have a look at STREETVIEW.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:33   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiTChener View Post
Was Duke of Wellington not on opposite side of Abbey Street, next to what used to be Viva Gas?
I know I was not born and bred in Accy, like most of you lot, but in early 80's, I had a kitchen showroom at no.79, opposite Gene Sutcliffe's, & not only had a working relationship with Dougie at Viva, but also supplied kitchen units for private quarters at DofW. A short time later, they introduced topless barmaids..... Unfortunately, after I was allowed back stage access!!
Yeh it was, tis me thats got confused. Across from Gene Sutcliffes used to be Harry Bradshaws Home @ Export, which was in fact warehouse fer National Mill Stores @ Also Branded Lines, Worked yon from Dec 63.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:24   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Yeh it was, tis me thats got confused. Across from Gene Sutcliffes used to be Harry Bradshaws Home @ Export, which was in fact warehouse fer National Mill Stores @ Also Branded Lines, Worked yon from Dec 63.
Is there anywhere in Acc that Cashy has not worked?
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..