Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Does anybody still use a CB radio? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/does-anybody-still-use-a-cb-radio-62957.html)

RainbowSix 28-11-2012 12:09

Does anybody still use a CB radio?

I have just been into cash converters and they have an old Binatone CB radio for £59.95.

This radio is very likely to be over 20-30 years old.

yet they can still demand such a high price for it, when I asked I was told they had sold others for around £100 recently.

Who to? my recollection of CB is that it is a dead duck, no one uses it now because Facebook is can be used on their mobile phone.

Are any of you using CB radio still?

(Truckers might still.)

Neil 28-11-2012 12:37

Re: Does anybody still use a CB radio?

Sounds expensive that, I have seen them for a lot less on ebay.

pallyman 28-11-2012 20:53

not on it it myself but know quite a few people who are,and i believe there are get togethers which attract quite a lot of people

accyman 29-11-2012 02:34

if cash converters are telling you the truth then they have found a few mugs .Dont be one of them and get one elsewhere like ebay as others have said

RainbowSix 02-12-2012 18:03

I would not buy one, I have several packed away in the cellar.

Just curious if they are still used.

As above, I thin they found a few mugs or were telling me porkies.

Accyexplorer 19-08-2014 13:46

1 Attachment(s)
I've just bought a midland Alan 42 multi with "magmount" (£25,don't ask why :D),he even through in a couple of "old CB badges".
Attachment 43567

cashman 19-08-2014 13:50

C.B. is just n outdated toy as far as i'm concerned, never had one,pointless nobody talks to me anyway.:D

Accyexplorer 19-08-2014 14:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1113917)
C.B. is just n outdated toy as far as i'm concerned, never had one,pointless nobody talks to me anyway.:D

Awwww poor c :bleedht:, it was one of them silly impulse buys, it'll probably get thrown in the garage with the rest of my junk after I've had a mess about with it :D

Leonidas 19-08-2014 14:09

I have 2 Roberts radios, both are CB and digital, one is internet as well.

Neil 19-08-2014 14:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1113916)
I've just bought a midland Alan 42 multi with "magmount" (£25,don't ask why :D),he even through in a couple of "old CB badges".
Attachment 43567

It's even legal in this country as well using almost all if not all the bands it can do. They have recently allowed the use of AM and even SSB in the UK to follow EU regs

Accyexplorer 19-08-2014 14:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leonidas (Post 1113919)
I have 2 Roberts radios, both are CB and digital, one is internet as well.

I'm a 'noob' to this CB malarkey....Do you use them? I hear, there use to be loads of folk on them but I've set mine up and I can't hear a thing except a loud hissing :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1113920)
It's even legal in this country as well using almost all if not all the bands it can do. They have recently allowed the use of AM and even SSB in the UK to follow EU regs

Sorry Neil, that's just gibberish to me, I've never used one before so all this AM,SSB code means nothing ;)

I hear folk have "handles" is that just a oldskool term for a username?

accyman 19-08-2014 14:50

i picked one up in a mixed lot a few montsh back but its one for inside the car and came with teh huge ariel that was attatched to trucks and cars in the 80s lol

they go for around 50 quid on ebay but i havnt had the inclination to list it yet or indeed hook it up to a battery and test it

at least i know tehres 1 person out there if it works

Neil 19-08-2014 14:56

What make/model is it Jason? I sold one recently to someone I haven't seen in 20 odd years. Being a sad git I have a few knocking about and was about 50' of coax short of sticking an aerial on the house yesterday :D

Accyexplorer 19-08-2014 14:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 1113925)
i picked one up in a mixed lot a few montsh back but its one for inside the car and came with teh huge ariel that was attatched to trucks and cars in the 80s lol

they go for around 50 quid on ebay but i havnt had the inclination to list it yet or indeed hook it up to a battery and test it

at least i know tehres 1 person out there if it works

Still nothing as yet, I've managed to stop it hissing with the SQL button.
I also had a look on ebay and it looks like I'd be able to get my money back if I decide it's not for me.
If you do get it up and running , my "handle" is Jason :D

Accyexplorer 19-08-2014 15:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1113929)
What make/model is it Jason? I sold one recently to someone I haven't seen in 20 odd years. Being a sad git I have a few knocking about and was about 50' of coax short of sticking an aerial on the house yesterday :D

It's a midland 42 Alan multi, please don't say I've got to put a areal on the roof to hear anything :(

I've managed to suss out how to stop it hissing and get it searching through the different channels, but still nothing as yet.....

....it's about 10 mins off going on EBay :D