Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Is This The Best Quote Ever or...? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/is-this-the-best-quote-ever-or-63674.html)

Tesco Rambler 27-02-2013 00:52

Is This The Best Quote Ever or...?

Hope you find this interesting, I do. Well, being a bit careful with money as you have to be these days I waited until the new year was well and truly underway before grabbing a diary cheap at my local charity store. So I missed out on January, well that's not saying much really, is it? It's a nice little diary, well quite small really and cost a quid. But the thing that's really interesting is the quotation emblazoned across its cover. I bet you are going to tell me that you know it and that everybody knows and where have I been all this time anyway. Never mind, here it is.
"You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
Love like you'll never be hurt,
Sing like there's nobody listening,
And live like it's heaven on earth."

And this is by one William W. Purkey which I didn't believe at first until I Googled him and yes he really exists.

Sunflower49 27-02-2013 15:53

Re: Is This The Best Quote Ever or...?

It is a brilliant quote-and I'm a fan of quotes. I kind of preferred the changed version with 'Make Love like You have an Audience' though, too :)

I actually had this quote cross-stitched and framed in my old house lol :) It is inspirational.

Eric 27-02-2013 16:33

I believe that everyone ... well anyone who thinks ... has a favorite quote. So, I can't agree that it is the "best" quote.

DaveinGermany 27-02-2013 16:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 1044234)
I believe that everyone ... well anyone who thinks ... has a favorite quote. So, I can't agree that it is the "best" quote.

Can go along with that, there's several that come to mind depending on the situation or occasion.

jaysay 27-02-2013 17:04

I've a book full of quotes, from Kennedy to Shakespeare, its like pick and mix

steve2qec 27-02-2013 17:38

"If we moved in next door, your lawn would die." Lemmy - Motorhead.

Sunflower49 27-02-2013 23:05

Metallers have the best quotes sometimes!
Steve Tyler too 'Life's a Journey, not a destination'.. My best friend has tattooed on her arm. 'The things that come to those who wait may have been left there by those who got there first'. I love that one-always been a bit of a go-getter myself.

I also like; 'If you think you can, or think you can't, you're right'. By Henry Ford. I'm a firm believer in the Law of Attraction. And Walt Disney-if you can dream it, you can do it'.

Eric 27-02-2013 23:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1044240)
Can go along with that, there's several that come to mind depending on the situation or occasion.

One of my favorites for some situations is in French; I won't bother with the translation, 'cause like a lot of Canadians, I'm bi:D It comes from a military man; so, you might appreciate it: "Nous sommes dans un pot de chambre et nous y serons emmerdes". (Gen. Auguste-Alexandre Ducrot). Hey ... just googled it; got it right in one.:D I first came across this in Tuchman's "Guns of August"; and for some reason, I've never forgotten it. Strange how the memory works.

Sunflower49 27-02-2013 23:45

Nice! I used to have 'We're all (bleep)'d. It helps to remember this. As my signature but I try to be a bit more positive nowadays :D

Eric 28-02-2013 01:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarmouse0707 (Post 1044317)
Nice! I used to have 'We're all (bleep)'d. It helps to remember this. As my signature but I try to be a bit more positive nowadays :D

Might as well be positive ... even if there isn't a bright side, there is always one less dark than the others;)

Eric 28-02-2013 02:02

I like sifting through quotes when I've nothing better to do ... even when I have something better I should be doing.;) I was reading some Churchillian quotes once. Anyone who loves the English language, and there is none richer, must read Churchill. Lost amongst the popular gems was one I'd paid little attention to. It didn't have the defiant stridency, the humour, the scathing, scorching Juvenalian satire; but it has become one of my favs: "We sleep safely at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would harm us."

dotti34 28-02-2013 05:26

A different slant on an old saying:

A rolling stone needs no pushing.

dotti34 28-02-2013 05:27

Women are angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly - on a broomstick, we're flexible like that. (and ain't that the truth!)

Gordon Booth 28-02-2013 12:19

Not really Churchillian but a line from 'The Living Years' I like-
'You can listen as well as you hear'.

If only we did.

Boeing Guy 05-03-2013 07:25

Cry havoc and let slip the Dogs of War, William Shakespere
And
Gratitude is a disease of Dogs, joe Stalin.
Finally
You have enemy's? Good, that means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. Winston Churchill

(Thread wander, Gordon, I say Paul Carrack on Sunday night (the singer of Living Years) and he was superb:D)

davebtelford 05-03-2013 07:55

"You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't" - Bart Simpson (et al).

davebtelford 05-03-2013 07:56

?

Eric 07-03-2013 04:38

Don't think this little thread would be complete without one of Yogi Berra's gems; so here's two of 'em:

When you arrive at a fork in the road, take it.

Baseball is ninety percent mental, and the other half is physical.

Eric 07-03-2013 05:19

"Don't let life randomly kick you into the adult you don't want to become." Chris Hadfield.

MoreJoe 17-06-2018 01:51

"When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is."

... Oscar Wilde

Margaret Pilkington 17-06-2018 09:17

Like others before have noted..it is very hard to choose a 'best' quote.
Quotes are something that has to underscore the point you want to make...they can be witty, funny, sarcastic or just wise and true.....but their point is to make a point.

Mark2009 17-06-2018 10:30

Quotes often bring things to mind

re our current choice of potential Prime Ministers

In America, anyone can become president. That's one of the risks you take.

re Accyweb and good conversations
“The first principle of a free society is an untrammeled flow of words in an open forum."

Both from Adlai Stevenson

Mark

ferret man 17-06-2018 21:48

You can take a horse to water but you cant make it gather moss.

ferret man 17-06-2018 21:53

When I was 18 it was like a rod of Steel,
When I was 35 I could bend it slightly,
Now I am turned 70 I can tie a knot in it
Does this mean I am getting stronger.

Michael1954 18-06-2018 06:35

You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead - Stan Laurel

Less 18-06-2018 08:36

OOPS!

Anon

Used daily by almost all of us.

Margaret Pilkington 18-06-2018 09:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1214298)
OOPS!

Anon

Used daily by almost all of us.

You know things are bad when the surgeon says it though!

Less 18-06-2018 09:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1214299)
You know things are bad when the surgeon says it though!

If you hear the surgeon saying that it means the anaesthetist should have said it first!
:hesoff:

Margaret Pilkington 18-06-2018 10:57

I was speaking from the nurse point of view.
I would hope and imagine that the patient would be well and truly asleep.
It is not something you would hope to hear if you were having a local.

I think I only heard a surgeon utter that word once.
He had dropped his scalpel and it landed in the Theatre Sisters clog....doing her no damage at all.

ferret man 18-06-2018 22:14

I remember being on the opp table waiting to be knocked out when there was loud crack of thunder a flash of lightening, one of the nurses used the saying sounds like the heavens have opened. What else could I say , just hope its not for me.

Mark2009 07-01-2019 17:14

If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything. William Lyon Phelps

Mark

Mark2009 07-01-2019 17:16

It's amazing that the amount of news that happens in the world every day always just exactly fits the newspaper. Jerry Seinfeld
Mark

Ryewolf90 07-01-2019 23:01

An Oxymoron is but an Onomatopoeia isn’t. I shall leave you to ponder that one. - Ryewolf

landhusweg 10-01-2019 06:45

Here’s a saying from my late Granddad, although I’m not sure whether it came from him, or whether he just used it.
“If a job is worth doing, then it’s worth doing well”.
Cheers

RainbowSix 10-01-2019 17:52

I hear that one often, its a work mantra if you want to be doing good quality work.