Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Japanese knotweed (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/japanese-knotweed-64595.html)

jelly baby 21-07-2013 10:33

Japanese knotweed

Could any one tell me who to contact to report an infestation of Japanese knotweed? It is on council land. It needs to be dealt with as a matter of urgency as it is spreading like wildfire.I rang and emailed hyndburn council some time ago, but no one called me back about it.
Thanks
JB

Less 21-07-2013 10:40

Re: Japanese knotweed

any plant listed in Schedule nine, Part II of the Act. This lists over 30 plants including Japanese knotweed, giant hogweed and parrot's feather. The police are responsible for investigating this offence and each police force has a wildlife liaison officer who can be contacted.
Environment Agency - Japanese knotweed

Hope that helps.
:)

jelly baby 21-07-2013 10:50

Thanks for that.JB

accyman 21-07-2013 13:34

my ex looked up knot weed as she thought my garden was infested with it.She was convinced it was and reported it to the enviromental department but they did stuff all and said to contact the housing association who also did stuff all.If it is indeed japaneese knotweed theres absolutely loads of the stuff on the land behind my house and im loosing my garden little by little each year to the stuff.

ironically enough i got a letter through a few weeks later demanding the tennants maintained their gardens lol

davemac 21-07-2013 22:05

In addition to the guidance from Less, Japanese Knotweed is on the noxious weed list and any person or organisation permitting the weed to grow can be fined by the Environmental Agency. Not a matter that can be ignored by the council as they themselves would have to enforce removal on private land.

I would bring this to the attention of your local councillor.

walkinman221 21-07-2013 22:49

Also be careful with it, when you strim it or hack at it the sap/moisture it gives off can burn you .

Neil 21-07-2013 22:50

If you tell me where it is I will try and find out what is happening about it for you. I know the parks department manager is off on paternity leave at the moment but I can contact other people to find out if they are aware of it.

HBC parks department have staff trained in knotweed stem injection to treat it and I know they do treat when made aware of it.

Neil 21-07-2013 22:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by walkinman221 (Post 1067790)
Also be careful with it, when you strim it or hack at it the sap/moisture it gives off can burn you .

I don't think you should be strimming it as it can cause it to spread more. Any cuttings have to be disposed of correctly to prevent them growing where you dispose of them

walkinman221 21-07-2013 22:56

i'm not saying strim it , just if somebody did, the moisture it gives off burns so be careful out there . They always were sneaky buggers them japs:D

Less 23-07-2013 12:59

Japanese knotweed

2 Attachment(s)
Well it looks like I've been walking around with my eyes shut, gone past this just about every day, without it registering, think I'd better do some reporting!
:(
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/23/ydegy8ym.jpg

Well, those are naff pics, but you get the idea!

jelly baby 29-10-2015 17:16

Just an update on the Knotweed situation. We think it has now been eradicated after two years of ongoing treatment. I have to say that Caligen have been great about this whole thing and have done everything necessary to sort it out.
It'll be treated again next spring but the prognosis is very good!
Next project will be the overgrown trees!
JB x

RainbowSix 02-11-2015 14:53

Its now Notknotweed then... :)

jelly baby 04-01-2016 11:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainbowSix (Post 1153846)
Its now Notknotweed then... :)

Lol!