Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Is hopi ear candling affective? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/is-hopi-ear-candling-affective-65689.html)

olivia123 03-02-2014 21:14

Is hopi ear candling affective?

I have trained in Hopi ear candling & was wondering how many people have found it helpful.

cashman 03-02-2014 21:19

Re: Is hopi ear candling affective?

Its got me wondering how many know what it is olivia, i sure as hell don't.:D:confused:

olivia123 03-02-2014 21:30

"The process of Hopi candling involves a specially designed hollow candle being inserted just inside the ear canal. The hopi candle is then lit and the suction that is formed draws secretion flow is gently stimulated and the vapour collects and removes impurities or deposits. Often referred to as the ‘chimney’ effect. The rising air gives the ear drum a gentle massage and also helps to regulate ear pressure. This is soothing, calming and protects the irritated areas."

Bob Dobson 03-02-2014 21:50

I've tried it. It didn't seem to help me much.

Retlaw 03-02-2014 22:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 1092937)
I've tried it. It didn't seem to help me much.

Nowt on it, Nowt in it.

maxthecollie 04-02-2014 08:59

I,ve heard it all now using your ear as a flue

Gordon Booth 04-02-2014 09:37

A doctor once told me 'Never put anything in your ear smaller than your elbow'- I'd been using cotton wool buds. He said it was very easy to do damage.
Sticking a candle in sounds a bit iffy. What if hot wax goes the wrong way?
Talking cotton wool buds, I heard of one guy who was busy cleaning his ear. The phone rang, he grabbed it, pushed it to his ear- unfortunately he'd left the bud sticking out. That ear's just for holding his glasses on now.

Sunflower49 04-02-2014 09:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 1092988)
A doctor once told me 'Never put anything in your ear smaller than your elbow'- I'd been using cotton wool buds. He said it was very easy to do damage.
Sticking a candle in sounds a bit iffy. What if hot wax goes the wrong way?
Talking cotton wool buds, I heard of one guy who was busy cleaning his ear. The phone rang, he grabbed it, pushed it to his ear- unfortunately he'd left the bud sticking out. That ear's just for holding his glasses on now.

That sounds really painful! :eek:
It's okay to clean around the pinna and general ear area but not to insert into the canal I think? I have a friend who has a build up of wax but refuses to go to the GP, he's ordered a 'Home Ear Syringing Kit' from eBay. I'm concerned!

Anyway in answer to your question, Olivia I am intrigued by the ear candling thing, I've seen it advertised in a Chinese Medicine centre and heard It's helpful for all sorts of things, is that true?

cashman 04-02-2014 11:41

I have had me ears syringed many times, due to wax build ups, it can vary depending where yeh have it done, The first time was when i lived in spain n lukewarm water was used wi great results, my hearing improved a great deal.:) when i returned here i had occasion to go to my local medical practice in accy, the first time i had it done the water was cold.:eek: which was painful,i kicked off about it n said do yeh actually know what yer doing!! cos i'm damn sure clueless is the answer.:(

Jim Procter 04-02-2014 13:46

My doctors practice refuses to do ear syringing.They are afraid of the litigation if the nurse accidentally perforates the eardrum.Sad isn't it? If mine need doing I have to go to the walk in clinic.

cashman 04-02-2014 13:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Procter (Post 1093012)
My doctors practice refuses to do ear syringing.They are afraid of the litigation if the nurse accidentally perforates the eardrum.Sad isn't it? If mine need doing I have to go to the walk in clinic.

After the nurse i had in accy jim, i can well understand that!!! agree a sad state of affairs though.:eek:

maxthecollie 04-02-2014 14:12

I'm open for jetwashing

Neil 04-02-2014 16:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by olivia123 (Post 1092931)
I have trained in Hopi ear candling & was wondering how many people have found it helpful.

Last thing I read about it said it was useless. You should know if it pulls any rubbish out of people ears.

Mick 04-02-2014 17:06

Pardon ?:confused:

Gordon Booth 04-02-2014 17:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1093034)
Last thing I read about it said it was useless. You should know if it pulls any rubbish out of people ears.

Ear Ear!

How can pushing a burning candle in your ear pull rubbish out? More likely to push rubbish in.

Clinical tests showed the only stuff that came out was not ear wax but candle grease mixed with soot that had fallen in. Not good!
The Hopi Indians say it has nothing to do with them and their name shouldn't be used.
A couple of people burned their houses down doing it. It didn't say if they could hear better.

I've heard of people pushing candles in orifices but this is ridiculous.