Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Molesworth's Pocket book of Engineering formulae (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/molesworths-pocket-book-of-engineering-formulae-65755.html)

Accyexplorer 18-02-2014 11:50

Molesworth's Pocket book of Engineering formulae

1 Attachment(s)
I've had this book in a box in the attic for years (the place for things i can't make head nor tail of :))
I believe there is a few editions but does anyone know which edition this one is?

Attachment 38046

Less 18-02-2014 11:55

Re: Molesworth's Pocket book of Engineering formulae

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1094921)
I've had this book in a box in the attic for years (the place for things i can't make head nor tail of :))
I believe there is a few editions but does anyone know which edition this one is?

How are we to decide? We can't see the book.
Though usually somewhere at the front of the book there should be a page that will give you the information.
:D:D

Ah right, a quick edit and you've added a picture.

Accyexplorer 18-02-2014 12:07

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1094922)
How are we to decide? We can't see the book.
Though usually somewhere at the front of the book there should be a page that will give you the information.
:D:D

Ah right, a quick edit and you've added a picture.

I forgot to add the pic :o
From what I've seen it usually says on the front of them,but on this there's nothing :confused::confused:

Attachment 38047

Attachment 38048

Bob Dobson 18-02-2014 13:15

First edn was c 1870. If you can tell me which edition it is , I can better date it for you. How many pages?

Retlaw 18-02-2014 14:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1094921)

Attachment 38046

I have a similar book. Its all about metals there usage, co-efficients etc, screw threads, wire guages and all the things an engineer would need for specifications, on all subjects relating to engineering, its about 400 pages and two indexes.

Accyexplorer 18-02-2014 14:39

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 1094935)
First edn was c 1870. If you can tell me which edition it is , I can better date it for you. How many pages?

Cheers Bob,I think It's got 900 with advertising pages (842 without).
They are numbered to 842,there is also pages for notes and a little compartment at the back.

I also found a edition of Miss tuxford's cookery for the middle classes,they've both seen better days but if you know anything about either it would be appreciated.:)

Attachment 38050

Accyexplorer 18-02-2014 14:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 1094943)
I have a similar book. Its all about metals there usage, co-efficients etc, screw threads, wire guages and all the things an engineer would need for specifications, on all subjects relating to engineering, its about 400 pages and two indexes.

That certainly sounds like it but this has 900 pages of terms,adverts etc .
I bet it's a good read if you can understand the lingo etc.
TMLW for me though ;)

Bob Dobson 18-02-2014 16:18

I think that, with some persistance, the date of publication could be found. However, so far as value is concerned - condition is ALWAYS important, so I suspect that neither will bring more than £5. The cookery book looks 1930s, the other earlier than that. Cookery books arte collectable , engineering ones not.

Gordon Booth 18-02-2014 16:26

The Stanley advert says 1904 exhibition so it won't be much later than that.

Accyexplorer 18-02-2014 16:47

Cheers for the info.I'm just having a clear out,I'll put them in the bin or see if my mate wants them (he's into old books)

DaveinGermany 18-02-2014 17:16

Maybe the local Museum could find some use for them? Wouldn't hurt to ask before binning them.

Accyexplorer 18-02-2014 17:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1094960)
Maybe the local Museum could find some use for them? Wouldn't hurt to ask before binning them.

I didn't think the museum would be interested,suppose it worth a try rather than binning them.