Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Juralac (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/juralac-65840.html)

Karateman 07-03-2014 22:18

Juralac

Hi all,
OK one to get you thinking. When we were kids we played around the Dale st area at the top of Wheat st just off Blackburn road. We used to nip up a back street directly opposite the top of wheat st, that used to lead to some garages and the railway wall where we used to climb up and watch the trains go past for hours on end.
My question is ..... we used to call the little back street I mentioned earlier and the area around it... JURALAC (pronounced as it is spelt) and I have no idea why, but all the kids reffered to it and played around it. Where did the name come from?
I remember there was a small office type building called Lang Bridges on the corner of the back street and Dale st opposite the sub station (still there).
We used to say" meet you up juralac at 6 o'clock" and the like... Its bugged me all my life.
Hyndbrook House sheltered housing and a new housing estate covers the area now.

so I say again..Where did the name come from?

Phil

Wynonie Harris 07-03-2014 22:45

Re: Juralac

There was a small factory on the other side of the railway line from there called Duralac, so I assume the name came from there. It was right at the end of Corporation Street, opposite Holbrooks/Moss Gears. Think they made some sort of industrial paint or coating.

cashman 08-03-2014 07:32

Seem to recall Duralac name, Think they were Paints n things?:confused: Was probably that? kids saying it can easy sound like Juralac?

jelly baby 31-03-2014 12:03

As kids we used to play hide and seek on the Duralac, (and yes, as Cashy says, it was paints and varnishes etc). We played around the garages on Bond St at the top left of Grimshaw St. We had lots of good fun up there.
JB x

Karateman 12-05-2014 18:33

Thanks for replying all, Sorry for not getting back...been away and forgot my post....Doh!

I think thats more or less cleared up a 50 year puzzle in my head..too much of a coincidence to be anything else I reckon....Duralac.....thats it

And yep Jelly Baby... hide and seek, rinny tinny tinny, hop scotch, and loads more which I forget....throwing a stone as for as you could then hiding while someone went to get it.
There were so many hiding places around Bond st and grimshaw st, Park Con, Nelson Square and the rec...garages and yards and walls....shot many a German soldier on the backstreets with my long stick....never missed a shot.
Oh and I could make the best and most realistic machine gun sound you could imagine

Glorious Days.....

Bob Dobson 12-05-2014 20:39

Because of the urinals at the bottom of Wheat St, we called in Wee Street.

maxthecollie 12-05-2014 20:59

That was down by th underground wasn't it, Bob?

Bob Dobson 13-05-2014 05:39

Between the underground and Sacred Heart. I cannot recall one at either end of the underground, which was itself a urinal.

maxthecollie 13-05-2014 07:30

We used to go through there to the Grammar School, Follwed by Big Sam Wignall ,who always used to shout at us " Hoy Laddie where's your cap"

Wynonie Harris 13-05-2014 08:39

Then when you got your cap out of your pocket and put it on, he's shout, "oi, laddie, raise your cap when you see a teacher!" Them were't days, eh, Frank? ��

maxthecollie 13-05-2014 10:36

You'll never forget Big Sam.He was one on his own.

Bob Dobson 13-05-2014 16:10

He it was who aroused my interest in the Industrial Revolution. He failed with rugby though......I can find no reason behind the naming of Wheat Street.