Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Jackson's Farm, previously Dill Hall Farm (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/jacksons-farm-previously-dill-hall-farm-66100.html)

Marie Ball 02-05-2014 19:58

Jackson's Farm, previously Dill Hall Farm

John Broadley rented a messuage from Dunkenhalgh from 1701. My husband has checked maps and the messuage is now part of Jackson's Farm. Does anyone know anything about its history? Some of the outbuildings look pretty old, but I've only driven by, not got up courage to knock on the door yet. Thanks, Marie

Less 02-05-2014 20:04

Jackson's Farm, previously Dill Hall Farm

I won't object if you knock.
:)

Margaret Pilkington 02-05-2014 20:11

Re: Jackson's Farm, previously Dill Hall Farm

You may actually be able to give them some information.
I would screw up your courage and go for it.(maybe give them a phone call first)

Bob Dobson 03-05-2014 07:01

You will find the Jackson's very welcoming, as they are interested in local history. Don't mention Amateur Dramatics, or you'll be there all day.

Jim Procter 03-05-2014 19:50

Is Jacksons farm the one almost opposite the Cemetery?

maxthecollie 03-05-2014 20:03

Yes

jack preston 03-05-2014 21:10

Is this the same Jackson who delivered milk by horse and cart until pretty recently and didn't a chimney pot blow off and injure Mr Jackson a while back,i hope they are still all o.k.

Margaret Pilkington 03-05-2014 21:13

Yes, they did deliver milk by horse and cart.....Peter the milk lad died recently...of course he wasn't a lad anymore.
Mr Jackson was injured by a chimney pot, but I am sure that he died quite a while ago.

Jim Procter 04-05-2014 22:57

The reason I asked if Jacksons farm was opposite the cemetery took me back many years. Before the war when I was about 8 or 9 I used to help deliver the milk from that farm.Cant remember the farmers name but I remember the horse who pulled the two wheeled float. His name was Dobbin, and he was very popular with all the customers in the Dill Hall area.He knew which house would give him a carrot, where he would get a bit of sugar. He would mount the pavement and knock on the doors to get his little treats.Good old Dobbin, he brings back lots of memories.

Lost in Cornwall 05-05-2014 07:10

I can remember seeing a later incarnation of the horse when the Grammar School was on Queens Road West. The lad delivering the milk would take the bottles to the doorstep whilst the horse plodded along. At a point somewhere opposite the school the horse would wait for a gap in the traffic and then turn the float round to head back to the farm often without the lad being on the float at the time.

Marie Ball 06-05-2014 19:20

Thanks very much, especially to Less. I will have to pack my maps when I come to see my aunt next time and remember my camera. I went past the farm yesterday, but I was going to a Local History event at Great Harwood in Churchfield House. Well, that's very exciting and thanks to all those who replied.

Alan Gilmartin 07-05-2014 00:52

Any relation to Linda Ball.

Marie Ball 15-05-2014 21:04

Sorry, Alan, I was born in Liverpool and the Ball bit is my married name. My husband's Ball family are from Derbyshire/Cheshire, not Lancashire. My mum was a Broadley from Altham West.
Today I knocked on the Jacksons' door with my maps and wills and they were lovely, very kind and helpful. I will go back with my camera next time I am in Accrington.

Margaret Pilkington 15-05-2014 21:19

I am so glad that you were able to visit the people there Marie.

Accyexplorer 16-05-2014 09:26

6 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marie Ball (Post 1106254)
I will go back with my camera next time I am in Accrington.

I was walking past today, I nipped on and took a couple of pics. :)

Attachment 40524Attachment 40525Attachment 40526Attachment 40527Attachment 40528Attachment 40529