Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   How Bland Does Food Have to Be? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/how-bland-does-food-have-to-be-66314.html)

Less 13-07-2014 17:24

How Bland Does Food Have to Be?

I bought some turkey slices, they were on offer, finally got around to making a sandwich, more flavour in the bread than the turkey, I have a similar disappointment every Christmas when I eat that bird.
Isn't it time we did a massive cull of this miserable tasteless bird and instead eat chicken, duck, goose or the various game birds instead?

Accyexplorer 13-07-2014 17:37

Re: How Bland Does Food Have to Be?

Perhaps, rather than culling ;), I could suggest you marinade the meat to add a little flavour :rolleyes:

Margaret Pilkington 13-07-2014 17:52

I am not fond of turkey. If it is on offer I always ask for the brown meat...everyone else seems to want the white meat with no flavour in it. They give you stuffing and cranberry sauce so that you know you are eating something.

Less 13-07-2014 17:53

Re: Re: How Bland Does Food Have to Be?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1110455)
Perhaps, rather than culling ;), I could suggest you marinade the meat to add a little flavour :rolleyes:

Of course you can suggest that, but you are basically agreeing with me, if a bird needs flavour adding to it, then the basic bird is bland, when I eat any meat I want it to have flavour otherwise I may as well eat lettuce. Yeuk!

Less 13-07-2014 17:56

No before you ask, I don't want a cull of lettuce.

Margaret Pilkington 13-07-2014 18:00

Less, some lettuce has flavour in it....Rocket is quite peppery, but it is the very dickens of a job to eat...it is so damn stringy......you could almost use it as dental floss.

Less 13-07-2014 21:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1110466)
Less, some lettuce has flavour in it....Rocket is quite peppery, but it is the very dickens of a job to eat...it is so damn stringy......you could almost use it as dental floss.

Yes mother dear, I know, I picked on lettuce as a random vegetable in an attempt at humor, not because I'm actually prejudiced against lettuce.
However I am prejudiced against tasteless gobblers.

Mick 13-07-2014 21:38

Er Less there are things called seasoning you could try using
I can let you have some if you like
ie salt, black pepper:D:p

westendlass 13-07-2014 21:44

You'd be better cooking a small gammon joint and carving off that if you want a bit of flavour. Pre cooked\sliced meat from the deli counter invariably tastes like a damp jay cloth. Saying that, I love turkey at Christmas ,(when I've cooked it myself) with a big dollop of home made bread sauce, then reincarnated on Boxing day in to a turkey,ham and leek pie. Now that's tasty!

Margaret Pilkington 13-07-2014 21:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1110511)
Yes mother dear, I know, I picked on lettuce as a random vegetable in an attempt at humor, not because I'm actually prejudiced against lettuce.
However I am prejudiced against tasteless gobblers.

I know it was humour..... I was just humouring you!:)

Less 13-07-2014 22:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 1110513)
Er Less there are things called seasoning you could try using
I can let you have some if you like
ie salt, black pepper:D:p

Why black pepper are you prejudiced?

Less 13-07-2014 22:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by westendlass (Post 1110515)
You'd be better cooking a small gammon joint and carving off that if you want a bit of flavour. Pre cooked\sliced meat from the deli counter invariably tastes like a damp jay cloth. Saying that, I love turkey at Christmas ,(when I've cooked it myself) with a big dollop of home made bread sauce, then reincarnated on Boxing day in to a turkey,ham and leek pie. Now that's tasty!

It's the ham and leeks that are needed to give the damned bird flavour though isn't it.

Less 13-07-2014 22:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1110519)
I know it was humour..... I was just humouring you!:)

Don't humour me, just FEED ME!
:p

Sunflower49 13-07-2014 22:16

This thread reminded me of a 'Goodness Gracious Me' sketch and now I must find it on youtube :)

I hate bland food. I think I have killed my tastebuds with too much chilli/lemongrass etc, though!I have often cooked for people and they've said 'Blimey!This is hot!' and I haven't realised.:o

Studio25 14-07-2014 12:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunflower49 (Post 1110525)
This thread reminded me of a 'Goodness Gracious Me' sketch and now I must find it on youtube :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix9OP1i9UN8