Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Children Are They Missing Out? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/children-are-they-missing-out-66332.html)

Less 19-07-2014 19:45

Children Are They Missing Out?

Wandering home this afternoon behind a woman & her 5 or so year old child.
She was holding tightly to his hand they were having the sort of conversation I remember having with my kids when they were that age.
All of a sudden mummy scolds the child, be quiet now, the track I was waiting for has come on my ipad.
(Until then I hadn't noticed she had earphones on).
Now I know 5 year olds don't really talk a lot of sense, but surely they need their parents to listen and answer no matter how banal the subject is, how else can they progress?

Plus, how much fun is the mother/father missing out on when they prefer listening to so called music rather than an innocent view on the world?
:)

Margaret Pilkington 19-07-2014 20:01

Re: Children Are They Missing Out?

Less, by the time they realise it will be too late for both the child and the parent.

Yes, of course some children are missing out....because some parents have no grasp of what is important in the life of a child.

Accyexplorer 20-07-2014 07:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1110970)
Less, by the time they realise it will be too late for both the child and the parent.

Yes, of course some children are missing out....because some parents have no grasp of what is important in the life of a child.

"hit the nail on the head" M :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1110965)
Wandering home this afternoon behind a woman & her 5 or so year old child.
She was holding tightly to his hand they were having the sort of conversation I remember having with my kids when they were that age.
All of a sudden mummy scolds the child, be quiet now, the track I was waiting for has come on my ipad.
(Until then I hadn't noticed she had earphones on).
Now I know 5 year olds don't really talk a lot of sense, but surely they need their parents to listen and answer no matter how banal the subject is, how else can they progress?

Plus, how much fun is the mother/father missing out on when they prefer listening to so called music rather than an innocent view on the world?
:)

Sadly, (IMO) The scenario you give plays out far too often in today's society Less. I agree, "how else can a child progress", some say even a newborn will gaze into its mother's eyes seeking information and that that is partly how bonds are formed........

.....(not much of a bond forming if the parents face is stuffed into a device).

Now, forgetting the obvious accidents that may occur due to the parent being distracted and assuming the same level of neglect (because that's what it is) is reflected in the home environment (I believe) 'some children' will respond to this "neglect" with escalating bids for attention and in extreme cases may develop certain 'issues'.
Children who's parents are constantly distracted can feel neglected and insecure etc which can, and often does, lead to them kids choosing the wrong path in life.
And that's without going into one about the fun these 'so called parents' are missing out on themselves due to not interacting with their kids.

Margaret Pilkington 20-07-2014 07:42

Cruelty does not have to be in the guise of a clip round the ear hole.
Neglect also comes in many different forms.....but sadly the consequences are nearly always the same.....damaged adults who fail in life. They fail in education because no one showed them how to succeed. They may have had decent teachers, but this teaching needs to be continued on home ground.

They fail in relationships because they have no frame of reference to what a good relationship is...or what it looks like.

DaveinGermany 20-07-2014 10:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1110989)
Cruelty does not have to be in the guise of a clip round the ear hole.

That's not cruelty, that's just part of growing up & being British (or at least it was in my day! :D). Furthermore it's just Newtons 3rd law being practically demonstrated. ;)

Margaret Pilkington 20-07-2014 11:15

Yes, you are right. I didn't realise that my parents were trying to teach me physics...they should have said.
I am sure I would have learned better if I had known:)

westendlass 20-07-2014 13:46

I've often noticed kids being dragged along by a mother either texting or jabbering away on their phone (usually pushing a buggy) whist crossing the road at a busy junction , totally oblivious of every thing around them. The poor kids look like they're not used to being spoken to , apart from having orders barked at them. No wonder so many grow up to be rude, selfish adults themselves, its what they have learned from their rude, selfish parents. I think the kids are just tolerated rather than loved and nurtured..

kestrelx 21-08-2014 16:39

you often see parents stick a tablet or games console infront of their kids to make them watch a film or play a stupid game instead of talking to them - will end up with a breed of robots - worse than those that were brought up pre 2000 on jam butties and 3 TV channels.

davebtelford 21-08-2014 17:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by kestrelx (Post 1114228)
you often see parents stick a tablet or games console infront of their kids to make them watch a film or play a stupid game instead of talking to them - will end up with a breed of robots - worse than those that were brought up pre 2000 on jam butties and 3 TV channels.

No - I don't often see that. And I think jam butties & 3 channels were long gone by year 2000. Get your ass in gear matey!

maxthecollie 22-08-2014 09:22

We went to Burrs Country Park with our 9 year old grandchild on Tuesday. She wanted to have a go on th childrens assault course there. I was like a mini Kryton Factor course. Nothing higher than 2 ft from the ground. I went in with her to keep an eye on her. Whilst she was in there were lots of children in there whose parents wer too busy on their phone to watch them. I witnessed at least 4 childre about 4 yrs old fall off and hurt themselves. Their parents wer obliviuos to what was happening.One little boy came up to me and said "Hello my name is Angus, I live near Loch Ness" . I said where's your Mummy" and he said " In the pub with Daddy" Some Parents need to look after their children better.

accyman 22-08-2014 11:19

you can tell which parents keep an eye on their kids

their the ones that put all the videos of their kids on facebook and youtube

its not present day kids that are growing up dumb because of technology they are learning from teh mistakes of the 80's born ones that see technology as a toy and not a tool