Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Accrington Railway Station. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/accrington-railway-station-66344.html)

Gremlin 23-07-2014 15:26

Accrington Railway Station.

I was asked a question yesterday by a disabled lady who wants to visit Accrington by train.
Her query was how do you get from Booking office on the West bound side to the East bound side to return to Hebden Bridge in a wheel chair.
I have no idea but would the porter wheel you over the tracks and is he/she there at all times there are trains stopping at the station.
The lady wants to visit the Howarth art gallery and would also require a taxi if I was not available to take her and chair in my car.
Hopefully I will be available but I can't guarantee it.
Thanks for any replies.
Alternately is there a phone number for Accrington station so I could speak direct to the porter.

DtheP47 23-07-2014 17:24

Re: Accrington Railway Station.

Lifted off the National Rail Enquiries web pages:

Leeds/Colne platform : step free access from Paxton street up steep 50 metre ramp with handrail or past the carpark and a shallower ramp. Preston platform : step free access up gently sloping footpath from Eagle Street. Ticket office is on Leeds/Colne platform, with stepped footbridge between platforms comprising of 25 steps up and 24 steps down with rest platforms.

Would the lady not have a return ticket and thus not need to visit the booking office in Accrington?? Taxi (or you) would drop her on Paxton Street.

or this maybe?

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/statio...assengers.aspx

Gremlin 23-07-2014 18:00

I don't know how old that information is but I had a look from Tesco car park and the ticket office is on the Leeds Blackpool. Platform.
Thanks for replying anyway.
Neither me or her daughter with her could push the chair up from Blackburn road side that's why I wanted to know how to get across from the new car park side.
She will have a return ticket, that's not the problem, she wants someone to get her to the Hebden Bridge platform who is in authority and can take her without fear of becoming another figure in the rail list if "no longer with us".

I recon I will finish up going for her and taking her back to Brig.
That's something she didn't want, she wants to view the scenery from the train.

Margaret Pilkington 23-07-2014 18:17

She wants to view the scenery from the train, but instead she will have the warm company of a friend who is happy to let her have a lovely trip to the Howarth Art Gallery.
Russell, I do not consider that to be a bad swap.
(thank you for caring enough to help)

Margaret Pilkington 23-07-2014 18:21

More and more stations are unmanned these days...they have ticket machines rather than people who can help you to buy a ticket.
There should be some provision for disabled using wheelchairs, but I do not know what it is.
When is this visit proposed Russell?
If I am left in town(to my own devices) tomorrow I may just walk up there and have a shufty.
If I do, I will report back on my findings.

DtheP47 23-07-2014 18:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gremlin (Post 1111214)
I don't know how old that information is but I had a look from Tesco car park and the ticket office is on the Leeds Blackpool. Platform.
Thanks for replying anyway.I recon I will finish up going for her and taking her back to Brig.
That's something she didn't want, she wants to view the scenery from the train.

Doh !! Gremlin I missed that! Of course the new ticket office is on the Tesco side.

Gremlin 23-07-2014 19:32

A plan has just formed in my head, it took a can of ale to get it started but the plan is this.
The two ladies catch a train from Hebden Brig to view the scenery, I meet them on the Tesco side platform, I take them to the Gallery, a place I have never visited, then I can have a look round and maybe take a pic or two.
I take them back calling at the Roebuck and we wine and dine, then I return empty handed.
Job done, next step is to phone them and see if they agree.

Thanks for the help anyway folks and the nice remark Margaret.

DtheP47 23-07-2014 20:09

Well I do know for certain that the gallery has a lift to the first floor for the Tiffany Glass exhibits, etc.
:D

Gremlin 23-07-2014 20:23

I think they have checked that Margaret but thanks for mentioning it.

shillelagh 23-07-2014 21:30

theres a ramp up the burnley side that zig zags up rather than going up the steep bit .. the ticket office is on the other side .. and that is manned to 3pm in the afternoon ..

cashman 23-07-2014 21:36

Just n idea, but could it not be caught on way home from Huncoat? thats much easier acess i think?

Gremlin 23-07-2014 22:05

My plan to collect the two ladies from the train after there sight seeing rail trip and go to the museum with them has been accepted..

Crossing the track after the porter has left at 3 PM is out of the question as it pushing a wheel chair up from the Blackburn road side, as I have already stated.
They are going to go home in my car and the venue for the meal has yet to be decided.
I have plenty of room for the wheel chair in my car.

The elder of the two ladies used to look after me when my mother died in 1948. She is 94 now and I was 10 when mum died.
I will make sure she has a good day.,

Gremlin 23-07-2014 22:34

Cashy,
The Leeds/York train only stops at Burnley Manchester road before Hebden Bridge.
Its the Colne train which stops at Huncoat.
Thanks for the thought anyway.

Mick 24-07-2014 05:55

There is also a ticket machine on the Leeds side opposite the ticket office so no need to change over to get tickets
(that's if the vandals have not been playing with it )

Gremlin 24-07-2014 06:54

Tickets were not the problem Mick, it's access to the platform with a wheelchair to get the train back to Hebden Brig.
It's all sorted now and their (not there as in my previous post, oops) return to the Brig will not require a train.