Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Three Point Turns (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/three-point-turns-66675.html)

Big Dave 19-10-2014 09:47

Three Point Turns

Has anyone else noticed the number of young drivers doing 3 point turns lately, last week there was one doing it in Union Road Ossy, I passed my test in the 60's and I don't think I've done a 3 point turn since. also taxi drivers see to be catching on to it, but then they have their own rules. Whilst I'm on my rant also cars parking facing the wrong way on main roads and then sticking the nose out to make other drivers let them out
does my head in

Michael1954 19-10-2014 11:01

Re: Three Point Turns

My navigation isn't so good, so I have to do many three point turns over the years.

Margaret Pilkington 19-10-2014 12:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Dave (Post 1121350)
Has anyone else noticed the number of young drivers doing 3 point turns lately, last week there was one doing it in Union Road Ossy, I passed my test in the 60's and I don't think I've done a 3 point turn since. also taxi drivers see to be catching on to it, but then they have their own rules. Whilst I'm on my rant also cars parking facing the wrong way on main roads and then sticking the nose out to make other drivers let them out
does my head in

Where my ma lives, you have to be very good at doing three point turns......if you weren't you would never get back down the hill.

I stopped driving twelve years ago, but when I was working, and given my favourite parking spot......you had to be good at three point turns....many folk were not and I reckon that is why that particular place to park was always left vacant.

Studio25 19-10-2014 14:29

Quote:

Has anyone else noticed the number of young drivers doing 3 point turns lately, last week there was one doing it in Union Road Ossy, I passed my test in the 60's and I don't think I've done a 3 point turn since...

It's not that big a deal, I reckon - it's called the "turn in the road" and ideally should be done in as few points as possible, but whether you use three or more, it's deemed an important enough skill that new drivers are tested on it.

What irritates me about three-point-turns is the number of other drivers or pedestrians who can see what you're doing, but come barrelling right up to you and get in the way, anyway.

And, the number of people who try to use a mini roundabout to return the way they came, then have to reverse because their car doesn't have the turning circle to do it. The mini-roundabout outside my house has signposts on all four corners, so they can't even do it in one move by mounting the pavement (not that that makes it acceptable).

Quote:

...Whilst I'm on my rant also cars parking facing the wrong way on main roads...

If they do that at night, it's illegal. Not that there's anyone who bothers to enforce that particular law.

Quote:

...and then sticking the nose out to make other drivers let them out

It's the ones that lunge halfway out of the space that upset me. I tend to brake late as if I didn't see them, then come to a halt a few inches from their bumper. They aren't going anywhere 'til they reverse back in.

Still, not many people can spare their journey time for a wry little lesson like that.

Morecambe Ex Pat 20-10-2014 08:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Studio25 (Post 1121359)
It's the ones that lunge halfway out of the space that upset me. I tend to brake late as if I didn't see them, then come to a halt a few inches from their bumper. They aren't going anywhere 'til they reverse back in.

What a fine example of a un-courteous driver.
The world would be a much better place if drivers like you didn't believe they have a divine right to be in front of everyone else.

How do you get out of a parking space?
Barge your way out I would bet.

Big Dave 20-10-2014 08:32

You park in a manner that doesn't inconvenience all the other road users

DtheP47 20-10-2014 08:41

It's them Chelsea tractor drivers and white van men that park close up to your motor on carparks. So close that it's requires a contortionists skills to get into your car.
That really get's my goat D.

Michael1954 20-10-2014 10:00

Accidents are caused by two arrogant bone heads meeting up, neither of whom will give way. I was taught to drive in a defensive manner. Too many drivers drive in an aggressive manner. And really: what is the issue of someone doing a three point turn?

Margaret Pilkington 20-10-2014 12:14

the only issue is that it is done in a safe manner and a safe place.

westendlass 20-10-2014 13:00

Looking out of the window yesterday morning the first thing I saw was a police car doing a three point turn in front of my house. Taxis also do it regularly too, its a bit odd as the street is quite narrow with a high kerb on one side.

Studio25 20-10-2014 15:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat (Post 1121425)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Studio25 (Post 1121359)

What a fine example of a un-courteous driver.
The world would be a much better place if drivers like you didn't believe they have a divine right to be in front of everyone else.

I don't believe I have a divine right to be in front of everyone else. I do believe I have a divine right to react to bullies in a way that makes them think before trying it on someone else.

Because so many drivers are passive the way you think they should be, these bullies are all over our roads. You aren't helping.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat (Post 1121425)
How do you get out of a parking space?
Barge your way out I would bet.

Um nope. Big Dave said it already, I don't put myself in that situation.

Alan Varrechia 20-10-2014 15:49

I don't think 3 point turns or u-turns should be done on a main Rd.

Neil 20-10-2014 19:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Varrechia (Post 1121465)
I don't think 3 point turns or u-turns should be done on a main Rd.

I think it depends on the road and the conditions. At 4pm maybe not but at 4am might be ok.

Studio25 20-10-2014 20:32

4am is the time for handbrake turns, surely?

Michael1954 20-10-2014 20:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Studio25 (Post 1121510)
4am is the time for handbrake turns, surely?

You're the one who's screeching around Great Harwood!