Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Mr Gleave (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/mr-gleave-66710.html)

Rowlf 29-10-2014 15:21

Mr Gleave

I ve just read in todays Lancashire telegraph that a Colin Gleave has died aged 75yrs . I am sure Mr Gleave who taught at Peel Park School had a son called Colin. Anyone know if this is the same person ?

TubbyLes 29-10-2014 20:36

Re: Mr Gleave

Must be same person,the same age as me 75.I was with Colin at Peel Park and the Grammar school,but have lost touch since then.Great guy RIP.Also remember well Mr Gleave at Peel Park,his favorite punishment for the lads was to bend over and get wacked on the backside with a PT pump.

Rowlf 29-10-2014 20:52

Thanks for that TubbyLes. I thought it would be about the right age as I knew he was older than me. I can vouch that Mr Gleave just used his flat hand on girls. I think he was the most wonderful teacher ever.
.RIP Colin

Barrie Yates 30-10-2014 00:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by TubbyLes (Post 1122404)
Must be same person,the same age as me 75.I was with Colin at Peel Park and the Grammar school,but have lost touch since then.Great guy RIP.Also remember well Mr Gleave at Peel Park,his favorite punishment for the lads was to bend over and get wacked on the backside with a PT pump.

You are right Les, he was definitely in our year at AGS, one of the few that I can recognise on the School Photographs.

DtheP47 30-10-2014 09:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by TubbyLes (Post 1122404)

"Standing on the line" that strange punishment where you stood on the crack on the hall floor. I think you were supposed to reflect on your crime and miss playtime, all I ever did was daydream as I looked at the plaques of various people up on the wall.
Yes Mr Gleave what a great teacher but could never understand his obsession with spelling parallel correctly, it was always the last word on our Friday spelling test?

Margaret Pilkington 30-10-2014 10:17

I remember Mr Gleave too......he was the teacher of Class 1......Miss Butterworth, was class 2........and Mr Heaton class three....the under achievers. I was in class 3.
I remember the punishment of standing on the line too...but I think I only experienced it once when the whole class was punished when someone did something and would not own up to it.
Happy Days....long gone!

Rowlf 30-10-2014 14:40

I was in Mr Gleave's class. I remember spelling immediately and necessary wrong a couple of times so had to write both words out 500 times. It worked ha ha I have never forgotten how to spell them since. When I was in Class 1 Mrs Maden had class 2 and think Mrs Becker had class 3 or 4 . I know I was in her class twice. Once the first class in the Juniors and then again later. The first time I was physically sick every morning. She frightened the life out of me. She certainly didn't like my face as I was always in lumber with her. Ofcourse those days it was no good going home and complaining about a teacher because most parents would have said 'You must have been doing something wrong to be in trouble.' and been in even more with the parents then. I remember taking Mr Gleave's cup of tea into the yard for him when he was on playground duty. The cup and saucer were green. Daft what you recall.

Margaret Pilkington 30-10-2014 17:50

I remember Mrs Becker, but never had the dubious pleasure of being taught by her.

Rowlf 30-10-2014 19:12

are nt you the lucky one ? Her glasses alone frightened the living daylights out of me at 7years old.She always wore a very strong perfume which I didn't like. No idea what it was.

Margaret Pilkington 30-10-2014 19:13

Yes...they were Robertsons glasses (jam jar bottoms).

Bob Dobson 30-10-2014 20:16

It MUST have been Evening in Paris. There was little else in the 50s.

Margaret Pilkington 30-10-2014 20:24

It could have been Californian Poppy, or Phul Nana!

Rowlf 30-10-2014 21:18

definitely not Evening in Paris. My mum had that.( Little blue bottle if I remember rightly. )and not Californian Poppy either much too heavy for either of those.

Bob Dobson 30-10-2014 21:29

I hasten to add that I didn't use either of these.

Barrie Yates 31-10-2014 00:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rowlf (Post 1122496)
definitely not Evening in Paris. My mum had that.( Little blue bottle if I remember rightly. )and not Californian Poppy either much too heavy for either of those.

Could it have been Devon Violets?