Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Bonfire Displays (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/bonfire-displays-66723.html)

olivia123 03-11-2014 15:21

Bonfire Displays

Was wondering if anyone knows the details of any bonfire displays this week!

gpick24 03-11-2014 15:55

Re: Bonfire Displays

Accy Cricket Club on 8th.

Accrington Cricket Club

westendlass 03-11-2014 23:03

Tricky's on Thwaites Rd, Ossy on the 5th of November.

Eric 05-11-2014 14:48

I take it that Bonfire Night ain't what it used to be ... Are there still kids making money by asking "penny for the Guy"? Can you still get 3-2-1 Zeroes? Treacle toffee? Black peas? Basically, is there any fun still left ... or do folks have to wear hard hats, safety glasses, and steel-toed boots? So far only two bonfires mentioned ... used to be hundreds.

gpick24 05-11-2014 14:58

You don`t get people having them in their back garden so much any more. I`ve been to accy golf one a few times when kids were younger and it was a good do. Bonfire, fireworks display, a few rides for the kids, BBQ and bar, much better than a few rockets fired from a milk bottle and a catherine wheel on back yard gate. http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/salut/t9307.gif

P.S. I believe there are some on in Darwen tonight.

Eric 05-11-2014 20:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpick24 (Post 1122943)
You don`t get people having them in their back garden so much any more. I`ve been to accy golf one a few times when kids were younger and it was a good do. Bonfire, fireworks display, a few rides for the kids, BBQ and bar, much better than a few rockets fired from a milk bottle and a catherine wheel on back yard gate. http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/salut/t9307.gif

P.S. I believe there are some on in Darwen tonight.

But the fun was in making your own guy, saving up for your own fireworks, collecting the wood for your own fire, having home-made treacle toffee. Rides, BBQ and bar ... no way. All you are doing is going to a show that someone else puts on. It's like the difference between going outside for a game of football, or staying in and playing FIFA 14, or shiite like that.

Turtle 05-11-2014 21:00

I remember Catherine wheels, and potatoes blackened in the fire. An expat friend held a bonfire night over here thirty years ago. It was melded with a what I thought was a Dutch take on it: hot rum toddies and dancing round the fire. Miss that!

cashman 05-11-2014 21:10

Erics got a good point, much of the fun involved collecting n guarding yer own wood, also raiding other collections etc, as well as the fun on the night wi yer mams n dads roasting the spuds etc on the fire, it just aint the same going to organised uns.:rolleyes:

gpick24 05-11-2014 21:18

All good points, we nearly always had a bonfire when we were kids they just don`t seem to happen anymore. They are allowed so nothing to stop anyone who wants to have their own.

DtheP47 05-11-2014 21:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 1122941)
I take it that Bonfire Night ain't what it used to be ... Are there still kids making money by asking "penny for the Guy"? .

Where have you been Eric? We don't have pennies here anymore and 95% of kids wouldn't be able to tell you who Guy Fawkes was never mind make an effigy out of old rag & bone clothes.
Fireworks are an all year round thing now. I blame the Millenium, ever since then fireworks are fired off for birthdays, weddings, they even had them at Linda Bellimgham's funeral this week! You've probably been away too long to know who Linda Bellingham was too.

Eric 05-11-2014 22:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by DtheP47 (Post 1122965)
You've probably been away too long to know who Linda Bellingham was too.

Absolutely no idea ... and I'm not even going to bother googling it;)

Did they have fireworks for Maggie's funeral?

And there are probably no rag and bone men any more ... I think Basil Brierly was the last one in Clayton.

And we don't have pennies any more either ... but I can still put in my two cents worth.:D

cashman 05-11-2014 22:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 1122971)
Absolutely no idea ... and I'm not even going to bother googling it;)

Did they have fireworks for Maggie's funeral?

No idea was too busy celebrating to notice.

gpick24 05-11-2014 22:59

Bonfire Displays

Don't know why dthep thinks we don't but we still have pennies.

cashman 05-11-2014 23:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpick24 (Post 1122974)

Doubt it in Clayton.:D

Eric 05-11-2014 23:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpick24 (Post 1122974)

And you know you're getting old when you can remember when they wore worth something:mad: