Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Coppice gates cordoned off (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/coppice-gates-cordoned-off-66841.html)

jelly baby 15-12-2014 09:48

Coppice gates cordoned off

Does anyone know what's been happening at the coppice? The gates are sealed off with police tape.
Jb x

lancsdave 15-12-2014 09:53

Re: Coppice gates cordoned off

Police called to reports of sexual assault at popular town park - Accrington Observer

Jim Procter 16-12-2014 14:52

It wasn't me!

Neil 16-12-2014 15:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Procter (Post 1126404)
It wasn't me!

Is that supposed to be funny?

Bob Dobson 16-12-2014 16:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1126406)

It was meant in a light-hearted way, Neil. Nothing to do with the gravity of the occurrence.

Restless 16-12-2014 17:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 1126410)
It was meant in a light-hearted way, Neil. Nothing to do with the gravity of the occurrence.

I never found it amusing either. A teenage girl was sexually assaulted. Nothing light-hearted about it. But hey that's just me

Eric 16-12-2014 19:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1126406)

No doubt, "yes" ... Maybe some find it insensitive, like that N(eed) A(nother) S(even) A(stronauts) one ... but one shouldn't assume that because someone seems to make light of a serious event he is making light of violence against women. To infer that is a form of pc-ism. Just put it down to "Yorkshire humor.":rolleyes: ... and let's get on with our lives in this screwed-up world.

As an afterthought; here's one from '67: "Hey; they found Donald Campbell. He came out of a tap in Manchester."

Neil 17-12-2014 08:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 1126410)

I'm sure the girl and her parents will be much happier knowing that.
I can only assume he has never experienced the effect of such an incident on a girl of any age. Maybe you haven't either defending his insensitive comment.

DtheP47 17-12-2014 15:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 1126458)
No doubt, "yes" ... Maybe some find it insensitive, like that N(eed) A(nother) S(even) A(stronauts) one ... but one shouldn't assume that because someone seems to make light of a serious event he is making light of violence against women. To infer that is a form of pc-ism. Just put it down to "Yorkshire humor.":rolleyes: ... and let's get on with our lives in this screwed-up world.

As an afterthought; here's one from '67: "Hey; they found Donald Campbell. He came out of a tap in Manchester."

The examples you give are original and witty Eric, irreverent and black humour too, I am struggling to see any of that in Jim's post?

Eric 17-12-2014 17:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by DtheP47 (Post 1126616)
The examples you give are original and witty Eric, irreverent and black humour too, I am struggling to see any of that in Jim's post?

Maybe ... but Neil's question was, "Is that supposed to be funny?" I believe humor was intended ... but the "Intentional Fallacy" kicks in. Jim "intended" humor, and failed ... well, in my opinion anyway. Just because he failed to mouth the appropriate platitudes of shock and outrage doesn't mean that he believes sexual assault is "funny".

Come to think of it, violence against women is endemic in all societies ... yes, even in our enlightened ones. In some cultures, those where women are not considered "human", let alone "equal", women face FGM, forced marriage, and not being allowed to drive;). Here in the Great White North, aboriginal women are sexually abused and murdered, just because they are merely "squaws". Women are "imported" and forced into the sex trade. In the U. S. of Eh., prominent members of the Tea Party believe that a woman impregnated during a rape should be forced to carry the fetus to term. ... I suppose I could go on for much longer, but I hope I have made a point.

Rather than wringing our hands, and mouthing appropriate outrage and other synonyms of that word, maybe we should actually be doing something to address a problem that stubbornly refuses to go away, even in our enlightened times.

By the by, I remember another one from '67: "Campbell's have come out with a new soup. The call it Cream of Coniston." Now, that one I don't find all that funny ... just me I guess.;)

Restless 17-12-2014 17:36

Jim isn't an everyday accywebber so to come on and make a random comment in such a thread... nah.

Accyexplorer 17-12-2014 20:51

For the record,I can see Jims comment as a 'form of humour'.

Restless 17-12-2014 22:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1126637)

why does that not surprise me

DtheP47 17-12-2014 23:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1126637)

What's funny about somebody denying they have taped off access through the Coppice gates?

Accyexplorer 18-12-2014 00:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Restless (Post 1126641)
why does that not surprise me

Quote:

Originally Posted by DtheP47 (Post 1126644)
What's funny about somebody denying they have taped off access through the Coppice gates?

The idea of censoring someone's humour, even on subjects (like this) which may well make folk uncomfortable is not the answer (imo).
Freedom of expression is a part of who we are.Jim's comment (assuming he meant he didn't commit the assault :rolleyes:) may of been a little distasteful.
Folk with that sort of (dark) humour should be allowed to express it just like those who find it unpleasant should be allowed to say how they feel about it.